google sign-in popup

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 google sign-in popup

Post by ed »

I've just been plagued by a popup that keeps showing everytime I load firefox with a home page of google.co.uk.

I was out mending a chums laptop this afternoon and put in firefox to replace a legacy internet explorer that was playing up. The first time firefox loaded this google sign in appeared. I didn't think too much about it and just told the chum to press the agree button as it seemed to make the popup go away.

fast forward an hour and returned home, only to find exactly the same thing was occurring on my windows pc......whatdyaknow..every time I load firefox the popup appears....doesn't seem to be anyway to make it go away forever.....

has anybody noticed this, and if so, found a remedy......I've searched the internet(via google?) but there is no mention of this so far.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#2 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by The Stratmangler »

Is it only happening in Firefox?
Try another browser - Brave is my current go to :)
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

#3 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by ed »

Hi Chris

yes it happens with Brave as well......

I like Brave, but I haven't figured out how to put the bookmarks icon on the address bar line yet....I don't like a bookmarks bar.
ed
retired

#4 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by ed »

I think I've seen the error of my ways......

It's not a pop-up at all, its just a graphic with buttons that looks like a pop-up....I'm pretty sure it's just in place of the usual google doodle because it's possible to navigate out of the home page without responding to the graphic/pop-up, or touching any of the buttons......I am so easily led these days.
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by Nick »

Ahh, you mean the default blank page with a search box and the array of your recent pages?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#6 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:48 am Ahh, you mean the default blank page with a search box and the array of your recent pages?
maybe??

this is it:
google signin.jpg
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by Nick »

Ahh, so no, thats not the page I meant.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by Mike H »

What happens if you DON'T have Google as the home page? (I don't)

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#9 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by ed »

I've come to dislike that google disclosure banner so much that I've switched search engine to ekoru. So far it seems to perform ok and it's back story is whole heap more appetising than google's.

I tried the 'tree planting search engine a while back but found it a bit slow and not very comprehensive. It may have improved since.

I've also changed my dns servers after reading the blurb that is behind the scenes of the google disclosure banner. I'll admit I don't understand a lot of what it says but it sure smells suspicious.

More tin foil hat stuff?

I'm a bit slow to this stuff but I'm slowly catching up. If somebody would only explain this stuff without all the gobbledeegook then I'm sure I'd be a bit further on.

Is pihole tinfoil hat stuff?

I use ghostery for ad stomping and it seems to do the job admirably, so I'm wondering what else pihole brings to the table.
I have noticed recently that some sites I visit wont let me continue past page 1 unless I disable my adblocker.....I appreciate it might interfere with their funding or revenue stream but does pihole have the same effect...I guess this is one face of the future for the internet.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by Cressy Snr »

I use DuckDuckGo for my searches.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by jack »

Pi-hole replaces your router as your local DNS server. It has block lists (which get updated) so that it will immediately block known spam/ad sites, returning NXDOMAIN. It's easy to use with a great web UI - if a blocked site needs whitelisting, it's simple to do.

The Great thing about Pi-hole is that it acts for everything in the house, not just the browser on your PC, i.e. your phone, tablet TV, whatever. A single reference point.

If you use DHCP from your router to give out IP addresses, you can normally set the DNS server to the address of the Pi-hole (which will need a static address). Note that some older BT homehubs don't allow this, so you might have to change the router (not a big deal). In our setup, DHCP is set to use addresses above 192.168.1.63 - anything below can be statically allocated - I group PCs, printers, UPSs & networking equipment etc into their own blocks. The Pi-hole lives at 192.168.1.60 and the UniFi Controller at 192.168.1.61.

Pi-hole can use any upstream DNS provider - I use CloudFlare as they never collect any info on you and are way faster than Google or your ISP.

I also use DuckDuckGo, which is pretty much the same as using Google (it uses the Google APIs) but it anonymises all requests so that Google can't track you via search requests. One downside is that consequently your search results are not targeted, i.e. they can be worldwide rather than UK etc, so sometimes I use Google UK directly to save time.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#12 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by ed »

Thanks for pihole info Nick.

At present I have router set to dhcp clients on addresses 40-99 and all my statics are at 100 or above( I have 4 at the moment)
I've switched all my search engines to ekoru and the browsers all have ghostery added on.
the router has dns servers set to cloudflare...
all the statics are set to cloudflare.....

after all the network probs I've had recently I'm going to leave this to settle...

It may be that pihole is a solution looking for a problem in my setup at the moment, so I'll leave it like this for the time being, or at least until another problem appears....

I spent 1 hour on the phone to linksys support in the Phillipines trying to explain that If I switch the 5ghz wifi off, when I switch it back on the clients that use 5ghz can't reconnect, and I have to reboot the router. This is on the brand new router. Re-booting the clients doesn't work.

I'm convinced I have gremlins.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by Dave the bass »

ed wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:14 am
I'm convinced I have gremlins.
You might be able to get treatment on the NHS if the ointment from the local chemist doesn't work.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Neal
Shed dweller

#14 Re: google sign-in popup

Post by Neal »

Cloudflare now have malware and adult content dns servers 1.1.1.2/1.0.0.2 malware only or 1.1.1.3/1.0.0.3 malware and adult content
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.