New Toy To Play With

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#16 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by The Stratmangler »

steve s wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:34 am They look great Nick..
So good you posted it twice :D
Chris :happy3:
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Cressy Snr »

That looks like a nice amp. :)
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#18 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by simon »

It looks like what it is - a proper proper bit of kit. Very professional. The only thing I'd say is that I think the engraving might be improved in a serif-less font, by that's just my view.
Nick
Site Admin

#19 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:15 pm It looks like what it is - a proper proper bit of kit. Very professional. The only thing I'd say is that I think the engraving might be improved in a serif-less font, by that's just my view.
Good point Simon. I will think on that next set of casework I get made up.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#20 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by simon »

It's only my opinion of course.

In the spirit of honesty amongst friends :-D unlike us breadboard boys, most of whom don't care that much what something looks like, those spending their hard earned want their toys to look the biz. I think the LDA logo really looks the part, one might even say, ahem, the dogs. But to me the engraved font looks a little bit like some bloke in a shed ((c) Dave Brook) knocked it up. Nothing wrong with that of course, as we know, but hi fi is a vain, fickle business.

Anyway, I've never heard anyone else say it, and I've never sold a bit of hi fi I've designed and made in my life so what do I know?
Nick
Site Admin

#21 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Nick »

Casework is a pain, I learn more about it as the years go by, just finding someone to make them so they look less pants or in a clearly generic case was hard enough. Design and anything visual is not my strong point at all. The text is screen printed not engraved (not that that matters). The Logo is a stick on badge in a machined indent. I am tempted to say they look better in the flesh, but that's not to say that they would not look even better with your suggestions.

The first step was getting everything to fit in. I will post some inside pictures sometime, but its all full of stuff. Some may argue I waste space on stuff like speaker protection and soft start, but I like having that stuff.

Its been interesting working with another company on another amp that is being made in China (just got the first final prototype in) and that made use of a uk industrial design company to do the casework, so its been nice not having to do that bit, but the amount of input I have had to add to make sure the electronics do what they should in the case has almost been as much as designing it myself. But its been odd not doing everything myself.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#22 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Paul Barker »

Casework looks good
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
ed
retired

#23 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by ed »

isn't this leading to brand identity.....

I've found it really trixy, but when it came to marketing nouse I was deffo last in line. The few amps I've sold(admitting I'm no expert in design or marketing) I put the little brass disc on the front that had the same logo as all my loudspeakers...that was very positively received, although it has a similar impact to the LDA type of logo...

I take Simon's point though..I quite like the font that I had engraved on the F6. Without my sayso the chap that did it inked in the engraving with black something or other. I thought it was quite subtle after pondering for a while.
f6.jpg
f6a.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#24 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by mainscablesrus »

AND.......................

WAIT FOR IT..............................

it sounds bloody brilliant (they, sorry there are 2)
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#25 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by mainscablesrus »

You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by pre65 »

Very nice David.

Have you got the 833a amps on display and if so have you a photo ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by IslandPink »

That is indeed a nice set-up. You're either a music-lover or a Longdog collector ( or maybe both ! ) .
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#28 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by simon »

Maybe there's not that much "high end" kit sold in reality, but Nick deserves to have a much higher profile.
Nick
Site Admin

#29 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:05 pm Maybe there's not that much "high end" kit sold in reality, but Nick deserves to have a much higher profile.
But then I would have to make more stuff :-)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#30 Re: New Toy To Play With

Post by simon »

Presumably that's what you'd like?