what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Greg
Social outcast

#16 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Greg »

Being so busy now will bugger you when we are three months down with maybe another 12 months to go. Pace your selves and spread the load. I like what JohnG is doing. Clearly he has this thing sussed.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#17 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

JohnG wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:55 pm I've got a JUMBO POT of Gummy Bears that the Grand Child can't have due to the present situation.
I've got a 30'ft long Hallway and 28'ft living room.
I've been placing the Gummy bears at different spaces and been carrying out timed slalom runs, around approximately 200 Gummy Bears.
My most successful run so far is a 18 minutes and 33 seconds 4 hundreth's of a second at a spacing of 78.9mm between each Gummy Bear.
I have tried this at spacings ranging between 59.2mm and 97.6mm.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
JohnG
Old Hand

#18 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by JohnG »

Bugger, The thought never entered my mind to have Adele at full bore in the background.
Ski Sunday Theme Tune will be very fitting.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#19 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ali Tait »

Will be back on site next week. Not quite sure how laying cables for the forthcoming build of a waste burning power plant counts as essential works but there you go.

To my mind all but the most essential work should stop. You can’t use a drill that is one day out of PAT test but it appears to be fine to expose people to a possible death sentence.

What really gets my goat is all these safety advisers that enforce all these myriad rules we need to comply with are allowing all this to continue, because they have been instructed to by their superiors. Profit before lives.

As site manager, I’m legally responsible for the people on my site, so theoretically if someone dies as a result of being infected whilst on site, I could be prosecuted, it if I refuse to go or shut the site under HASAWA, I’ll no doubt shortly be out of a job. Talk about rock and a hard place.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

It's stupid Ali, I completely understand your anger about it. Our site has been informed we are 'essential' - because we supply the m.o.d. with kit or do repairs. In fact , only a fraction of our work is such - that could be spread out to let more people go home. A lot of our work is supplying Aircraft ( that are grounded or not made yet ) with Head up Displays - via companies in the US and France who are also partially shut-down.
As I said to my old mate John at work, sarcastically " but John, those terrorists aren't going to shoot themselves ! "
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

Greg wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:20 pm Being so busy now will bugger you when we are three months down with maybe another 12 months to go. Pace your selves and spread the load. I like what JohnG is doing. Clearly he has this thing sussed.
Fortunately I've got a ton of videos waiting to be watched, ditto a ton of books. For when the Bantam's finished.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#22 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ali Tait »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:54 pm It's stupid Ali, I completely understand your anger about it. Our site has been informed we are 'essential' - because we supply the m.o.d. with kit or do repairs. In fact , only a fraction of our work is such - that could be spread out to let more people go home. A lot of our work is supplying Aircraft ( that are grounded or not made yet ) with Head up Displays - via companies in the US and France who are also partially shut-down.
As I said to my old mate John at work, sarcastically " but John, those terrorists aren't going to shoot themselves ! "
It’s all about profit, let’s not kid ourselves. Money before people. :(
Neal
Shed dweller

#23 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Neal »

Cut the grass front n back. Cleaned all the windows. Cleaned out the gutters. Put a chimney cowel on to stop the pigeons crapping down it and to keep the rain out. Unblocked the drain in our front garden, grass roots where stopping all the waste and it was backing up into next doors garden....ugh! And whilst on the roof cleaned the solar panels, amazingly that gave approx. 17% more output compared to the day before (similar weather).....they where filthy though! TBH I’m knackerd!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#24 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Neal wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:58 pm TBH I’m knackerd!
Hardly surprising ! Pace yourself. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
JohnG
Old Hand

#25 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by JohnG »

There is a constant pressure being applied to people to consider returning to work on the construction sector, closed sites are already due to open once more next week.
I don't know how the risk for the travel to and from is to be addressed, limiting the attendances will be seen to be a safe guard to the site activities, as well as controlling how the communal spaces are frequented.
Not that I am a in your face anti, but smoking should not be accommodated for during these times, if a person wants a ciggy, they should leave the premises and smoke in a remote location, otherwise the old habits of collectively bitchin' will prevail.
Welfare facilities will be the difficult area, if your busting your busting, no rota is going to overcome that situation.
Engaged Logo's on toilet door locks, could be replaced with 'f**k Off, I'm Self Isolating' :lol:

What a individual has to consider is if on their arrival home, are they going to be in the company of the High Risk / Vulnerable,
as the desire to make a few quid, might just end up being the straw that broke the camels back, for the vulnerable individual.

The government is desperate to get their hands on millions of Test Kits to prove if a individual has had the infection,
they are extremely anxious to declare a a state of Hive Immunity, with the hope the numbers count will be massive,
that will be a justification to return those with the correct readings back into the daily routines, maybe even conscript some into NHS duties to claim their benefits.
As the NHS is 30% short on its typical workforce at present, and this in no doubt set to rise.
I personally think the NHS is a tribute, and all measures to salvage the situation are,more than warranted.
It has saved so many from having to live with a very different lifestyle, to the one that was on offer without the support given.

Without such a momentum as being enforced at present, the period required for a recovery might not be witnessed for numerous years.
There are no clear answers, but there are strategies to be undertaken, and the UK is now two weeks into a strategy born from a previous version that was doomed to fail miserably.
The already have had the infection Testing Model will potentially be the next one heavily promoted,
along with the introduction to harsher measures for those in self isolation discovered flouting the instruction.

Each individual is developing their own views, but that is fine as the experiences being met, are unique to all at present.
Ant
Shed dweller

#26 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Today's stuff
Cut out the layers for the plinth for the lenco motor unit, that's ready for glue once the layers have been key sanded.
Then, my most hated job of all.....
Trimming the rose bushes.
We have 3 trailing roses, all dog roses that I love when they are in flower, but they go bezerk this time of year and have to be cut back.
Much cursing and scratches from the thorny little bleeders later, I got to feed them into the garden shredder and get revenge for my bloodied arms and hands.
And create a nice fine mulch for the flowerbeds
Onwards!
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#27 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

JohnG wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:06 pm What a individual has to consider is if on their arrival home, are they going to be in the company of the High Risk / Vulnerable,
as the desire to make a few quid, might just end up being the straw that broke the camels back, for the vulnerable individual.
Tragically in many cases it isn't a desire to go to work but a necessity. The planning isn't in place to get the poorer in society the support they need so they don't have to go to work as these people are in the most precarious of work circumstances. Support was only annouced yesterday for the self employed but no money available for ages. When living hand to mouth, these people will still have to go to work. Utter madness and complete lack of planning. All this echoing what Ali said too.

This should have been in the other thread, sorry, but addressing a post here. I'll get me coat.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#28 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

Ant wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:56 pm Today's stuff
Cut out the layers for the plinth for the lenco motor unit, that's ready for glue once the layers have been key sanded.
Then, my most hated job of all.....
Trimming the rose bushes.
We have 3 trailing roses, all dog roses that I love when they are in flower, but they go bezerk this time of year and have to be cut back.
Much cursing and scratches from the thorny little bleeders later, I got to feed them into the garden shredder and get revenge for my bloodied arms and hands.
And create a nice fine mulch for the flowerbeds
Onwards!
Silly question, but have you tried rose gloves/gauntlets? We've been ripping out blackberry, dried and current and they are brilliant at reducing the worst of it. Sure some get through a bit but they also protect your forearms and much more of your blood stays where it should.
Ant
Shed dweller

#29 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Was using my leather work gloves, trouble with them is that they are leather palmed but material backed and I ruined the backs using the grinder. Melted through in places where the sparks hit them around the knuckles. And the rose thorns have a preternatural ability to to get me right where the holes are.......
And I'm far too tight to buy some new ones
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

Roses shmoses – :D I've found blackthorn can be a total barsteward, can go straight thru a leather glove. The tip then breaks off, if you're unlucky, in your skin ...

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."