Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#46 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ray P »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:18 pm Thanks chaps. I’m drinking plenty of water, reading, listening to music and steering well clear of the internet and watching only one news bulletin per day.
How are you doing Steve?

And Ant & Paul?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#47 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Cressy Snr »

I’m better than I was. Still headachy and dizzy but the muscle aches and pains have eased down. Tiredness all the time has now taken over, going upstairs leaves me out of breath. Whatever it is, it has knocked me flat on my back. I suspect seasonal flu rather than Covid 19, but who am I to be self-diagnosing?

Problem is, there is no testing unless you are hospitalised, which it needs to be at the moment, so you have to assume the worst and self-isolate, in the absence of said testing.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#48 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

Seems that some Snowdonia beauty spots were packed yesterday ! :shock:

What is it that makes those dumbshits so unaware of the dangers of transmitting the virus ?

Going out for a walk in a quiet location is one thing BUT -------------------.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#49 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Cressy Snr »

pre65 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:34 pm Seems that some Snowdonia beauty spots were packed yesterday ! :shock:

What is it that makes those dumbshits so unaware of the dangers of transmitting the virus ?

Going out for a walk in a quiet location is one thing BUT -------------------.
Thick as shit...end of. They were all probably stripping the supermarket shelves last week.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Greg
Social outcast

#50 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Greg »

Na, the sort that strip supermarket shelves (including alcohol now) are not the sort to climb Snowdon. Same problem on the Breacon Beacons and also seaside resorts like Skegness, Brighton and local to here, Severn Beach. It won’t change until isolation/distancing can be enforced legally. It doesn’t matter how much media is used to advertise the need to stay safe. Some never read or listen to it and many don’t give a stuff anyway and will ignore the advice. Trouble is, the Conservative party has always disliked regulation, so there is a political hurdle to be cleared before the social can be addressed.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#51 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by jack »

Scotney is supposedly shut - going down there this pm to have a look as i have access, though our workshops are shut like everything else... I was at the workshops yesterday picking up some timber to continue working at home, and there were a good few cars parked up and some people walking...

...mind you, it's nearly 1,000 acres, so social separation is not exactly tricky...

Not sure what the trust is going to do about it's gardens, many of which are grade 1 or 2/2* listed...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#52 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Interesting times, Anna and I queued up, trolley length in front, trolley length behind, there were more than 100 people in front and 100 behind in the NHS queue at Tescos this morning..

We had to show our badges as we were let in... but still there were ordinary members of the public trying to push in, worm in with a sly 'oh, I didnt know etc etc.' Both inside and outside the store though there was bonhomie and smiles friends and colleagues and many more ( the NHS is the biggest employer in the UK ) I'd never seen before. At the check out there was an attempt to keep us apart but....

Mr Sainsbury down the road is opening very early so we can go shopping before clocking on every weekday and Mon Wed & Friday a little later..

I wonder how long it ( a semblance of order ) will last.

Just now the sun is shining and all the buds are pushing through.

The news has broken in the press now just how dangerous working in ENT is. ear, NOSE & THROAT and how deadly cv19 can be. ( two surgeons dead in the UK so far) There is a meeting tomorrow about what to do. I guess I'll be laid off or re- deployed, but where......? Having been retired ( JUST doing a bit of this, that, a patient list and a care home visit there - all thoroughly enjoyable but I'm on zero hours contract.

Splendid isolation! Fresh air tastes so good!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#53 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ali Tait »

Spoke to my mum today, Braemar gets a lot of tourists- the hotels get bus tours. She told me the visitors have stripped the co op leaving little or nothing for the locals. The co op is the only food shop other than the butcher in the village. Thankfully the tours are stopping.

Another friend told me he some to his mum who lives down the road in Ballater, there had been a coach hired specifically so people could come up and strip the shops there bare..

People really need to get a grip but I guess that won’t happen anytime soon.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#54 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

I've spoken to Sainsburys by phone and they tell me that as a 69 3/4 year old shopping for a 93 year old I would qualify for the elderly/vulnerable/NHS early shop in their stores.

Also, Jean would qualify whilst wearing her carers uniform.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#55 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by simon »

Wait till the penny drops with all these people and they finally understand what isolating is and why we're being asked to do it - the hysteria will be enormous. Still, it's a good reason not to do social media.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#56 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by jack »

Went to Scotney. Maybe saw 20 other people in the distance over the 3 hours or so being out... There's 780 acres on the main estate... No risk there...

Glorious walk, counting the bat & owl boxes, fields of very happy and peaceful sheep, lovely woodlands and lakes... There are still beautiful places around...

Some small benefits in all this...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#57 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ali Tait wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:53 pm Another friend told me he some to his mum who lives down the road in Ballater, there had been a coach hired specifically so people could come up and strip the shops there bare..
Holy crap :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#58 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ali Tait »

Apparently its people from Dundee, they’ve been doing it systematically from what I’m told. Quite sure it’s going on elsewhere too.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#59 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ali Tait »

Seen a post that all National Grid jobs are being shut down, guess all the REC’s will follow suit. Probably a good thing, I don’t really want to be on site with people from various parts of the country just now.
Will
Old Hand

#60 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Will »

Some Facts...2 weeks too late..

We really need to take heed !
Keep each other safe 💞
Feeling confused as to why Coronavirus is a bigger deal than Seasonal flu? Here it is in a nutshell. I hope this helps. Feel free to share this to others who don’t understand...
It has to do with RNA sequencing.... I.e. genetics.
Seasonal flu is an “all human virus”. The DNA/RNA chains that make up the virus are recognized by the human immune system. This means that your body has some immunity to it before it comes around each year... you get immunity two ways...through exposure to a virus, or by getting a flu shot.
Novel viruses, come from animals.... the WHO tracks novel viruses in animals, (sometimes for years watching for mutations). Usually these viruses only transfer from animal to animal (pigs in the case of H1N1) (birds in the case of the Spanish flu). But once, one of these animal viruses mutates, and starts to transfer from animals to humans... then it’s a problem, Why? Because we have no natural or acquired immunity.. the RNA sequencing of the genes inside the virus isn’t human, and the human immune system doesn’t recognize it so, we can’t fight it off.
Now.... sometimes, the mutation only allows transfer from animal to human, for years it’s only transmission is from an infected animal to a human before it finally mutates so that it can now transfer human to human... once that happens..we have a new contagion phase. And depending on the fashion of this new mutation, thats what decides how contagious, or how deadly it’s gonna be..
H1N1 was deadly....but it did not mutate in a way that was as deadly as the Spanish flu. It’s RNA was slower to mutate and it attacked its host differently, too.
Fast forward.
Now, here comes this Coronavirus... it existed in animals only, for nobody knows how long...but one day, at an animal market, in Wuhan China, in December 2019, it mutated and made the jump from animal to people. At first, only animals could give it to a person... But here is the scary part.... in just TWO WEEKS it mutated again and gained the ability to jump from human to human. Scientists call this quick ability, “slippery”
This Coronavirus, not being in any form a “human” virus (whereas we would all have some natural or acquired immunity). Took off like a rocket. And this was because, Humans have no known immunity...doctors have no known medicines for it.
And it just so happens that this particular mutated animal virus, changed itself in such a way the way that it causes great damage to human lungs..
That’s why Coronavirus is different from seasonal flu, or H1N1 or any other type of influenza.... this one is slippery AF. And it’s a lung eater...And, it’s already mutated AGAIN, so that we now have two strains to deal with, strain s, and strain L....which makes it twice as hard to develop a vaccine.
We really have no tools in our shed, with this. History has shown that fast and immediate closings of public places has helped in the past pandemics. Philadelphia and Baltimore were reluctant to close events in 1918 and they were the hardest hit in the US during the Spanish Flu.
Factoid: Henry VIII stayed in his room and allowed no one near him, till the Black Plague passed...(honestly...I understand him so much better now). Just like us, he had no tools in his shed, except social isolation...
And let me end by saying....right now it’s hitting older folks harder... but this genome is so slippery...if it mutates again (and it will). Who is to say, what it will do next.
#flattenthecurve. Stay home folks... and share this to those that just are not catching on.