300B Headphone Amp

What people are working on at the moment
ed
retired

#16 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by ed »

if you type '300b preamp circuit' into google and then check out the images presented you will find a good start.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#17 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Ray P »

wantech wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:18 pm I am looking for a 300b preamp or headphone amp schematic,
can somebody HELP ! :bounce:
The headphone amp I'm (slowly!) building on this thread is a scratch build of the Transcendent Masterpiece, which is available as a kit (for a good price too);

https://www.transcendentsound.com/masterpiece.html

The schematic is not mine to share.

The Masterpice is typical of Bruce Rozenblit's designs being good value with exceptionally good performance.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Wolfgang
Old Hand

#18 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Wolfgang »

I am looking for a 300b preamp or headphone amp schematic,
can somebody HELP ! :bounce:
If you are looking for typical 300B sound (lush colorful warm mids) the TS Masterpiece will disappoint you. But the sound is very clean, low distortion, and the circuit is simple. I would also look in J.Broskie's tube cad for circuits/ideas.
You could use the TS circuit, lower the quiescent current, and reduce NFB in order to get a "warmer" sounding 300B if you are not happy with the original sound. So many options!
nicoch
User

#19 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by nicoch »

Ray P

#20 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Ray P »

That Bottlehead HPA is a bit pricey (and is only available for 120V mains users).
nicoch
User

#21 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by nicoch »

just build a normal 300b amp with custom output iron tap for headphone or put a resistor from normal opt....
Ray P

#22 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Ray P »

With Ciara making it a 'stay at home day' and buoyed by the recent completion of my DSD decoder and 'Noir' HPA projects I dusted off this build today and had a good run at it. Completed the installation of the Soekris DAC module and got most of the power supplies installed and hooked-up. I should be able to start powering up and testing the supplies next weekend, when I'll also look to post some pictures.
Ray P

#23 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Ray P »

Ray P

#24 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Ray P »

Good progress today. I got the Soekris DAM1121 DAC module all hooked up and playing, both using HQPlayer via USB from the workstation and using a USB OTG connection from my smartphone. Output from the DAC is routed through my NOIR HPA.

The Soekris board is 'out of the box' so just the stock filters and firmware currently and I've not explored the different filter options available yet. Initial SQ impressions are positive.

A bit of tidying up to do and then finish and install the 300B HPA boards and power supplies - first up will be connecting and testing a pair of Andrews DHT filament supplies for the 300Bs and a simple LM317 regulated supply for the 12AU7 filaments.

Last edited by Ray P on Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#25 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by IslandPink »

Nice. Good to see an amp with a bit of space to work - not like my last one !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#26 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Ali Tait »

Looking good Ray.
Ray P

#27 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Ray P »

So, quite coincidentally, last evening Soekris released the long promised firmware upgrade for the dam1121 DAC module. This evening, after a short tussle with a terminal emulator and RS232 interface cable, I've updated my dam1121. I wasn't familiar enough with the previous firmware to be able to say if SQ has improved but I liked what I heard when I had a quick listen just now.

Onwards.
Ray P

#28 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Ray P »

I've just had a really frustrating evening. I moved the 300B HPA into my 'den' (actually the small workspace under the stairs) to use the Soekris DAC with my Noir HPA so I can start exploring the world of custom-brewed filters. I now have ground hum on the output and the cause is proving elusive. I've measured it and the noise is at 49.98Hz! I didn't have it last evening. Grrr!
Wolfgang
Old Hand

#29 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Wolfgang »

Looks like some typical ground loop stuff, Ray. I would try first to connect one power plug with reversed phase/neutral (turn it around 180 degr) and see what happens. I am sure this is an easy fix.
I am eager to hear about your experience with the different filter settings!
Ray P

#30 Re: 300B Headphone Amp

Post by Ray P »

Wolfgang wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:56 pm Looks like some typical ground loop stuff, Ray. I would try first to connect one power plug with reversed phase/neutral (turn it around 180 degr) and see what happens. I am sure this is an easy fix.
I am eager to hear about your experience with the different filter settings!
I'm not sure it's simple Wolfgang, I didn't have it yesterday (on the same electrical supply ring) and I've tried the simple fixes like you suggest. I'm suspicious of a fault in one of the power supplies?