Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#11071 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

chokes in his breakfast cereal....
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11072 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

No, he sold them !
( boom - tish )
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#11073 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I'm transformed to know that.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#11074 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:48 am
and this really does seem to be a 'because I can' project that is technologically primitive compared with a modern e-bike.
And hooray for that say I :-)

Meanwhile, How is the cathode follower valve "power amp" doing Ray? Remind me again just what the advantages are?
That's easy Nick, based on my previous OTL journey, improved sound quality.

In terms of how 'its 'doing', at the moment even more slowly than my usual snail like rate of progress; with Judy being so poorly I have too much thinking time and not enough 'hands on' time to get it done and when I can get a couple of hours I head out for a ride to try and keep sane. It's a real struggle to focus on anything and is why I've been flailing around talking about OBs and bass reflex builds...

Anyway, in my post that you quote from I think my description is accurate, I expressed my appreciation of his project and openly admit I do things all the time just 'because I can' and one could argue that its one of the things that defines us; take listening to music for example, it's not something we need to do to survive is it? So yes hooray.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Nick
Site Admin

#11075 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

why I've been flailing around talking about OBs and bass reflex builds
I will let you into a secret, I too, have obtained a pair of those Lii 10's with a view to making an OB out of them combined with the Supravox 285 I got secondhand via AOS. All that is something I don't have time to do, and I don't need another set of speakers at all. But it seemed like a good idea at the time.

I don't even have space on the floor at the moment for another set of speakers.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11076 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

:idea: don't build the other OB's until you've built a bigger floor.

Flippin' jeannyus level achieved. I'm full of ideas yknow, my mind is a creative whirl......zźzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzź
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11077 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

shane wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:00 pm For all our cyclists.

Beautifully engineered, but I don’t think I could cope with the enormity of the potential disaster.
It's fantastic!

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#11078 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Nick wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:18 pm I will let you into a secret, I too, have obtained a pair of those Lii 10's with a view to making an OB out of them combined with the Supravox 285 I got secondhand via AOS. All that is something I don't have time to do, and I don't need another set of speakers at all. But it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Right on! Can't wait to hear them (I wondered who'd bought the 285s)
Ray P

#11079 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Nick wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:18 pm
why I've been flailing around talking about OBs and bass reflex builds
I will let you into a secret, I too, have obtained a pair of those Lii 10's with a view to making an OB out of them combined with the Supravox 285 I got secondhand via AOS. All that is something I don't have time to do, and I don't need another set of speakers at all. But it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Sorry if I was whittering a bit yesterday, You probably gathered that things are difficult at present and sometimes it helps...

Anyway, that's an interesting confession Nick. First impressions? I guess you're thinking along the lines of a Quasar type OB?
Nick
Site Admin

#11080 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Yep, exactly, I want a 2a3 friendly OB. Not got the Lii drivers out the box yet, may do this weekend, but as I say, I have no spare time ATM.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#11081 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by steve s »

Nick wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 am Yep, exactly, I want a 2a3 friendly OB. Not got the Lii drivers out the box yet, may do this weekend, but as I say, I have no spare time ATM.
Good stuff Nick, i look forward to you getting time to sort these.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#11082 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

2A3 friendly? Thats a little surprising, have you had an epiphany Nick? Or are the OBs for someone else?
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#11083 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Toppsy »

Nick wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:53 am Yep, exactly, I want a 2a3 friendly OB. Not got the Lii drivers out the box yet, may do this weekend, but as I say, I have no spare time ATM.
Nick,
give me a call if you want to take up the offer of using the side frames from my OB project build with a new baffle for experimental purposes. If you send me the cut-out details and panel size for the baffles I'll get them cut for you.
Ray P

#11084 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Interesting. So passive (series) crossovers too?
Nick
Site Admin

#11085 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Toppsy wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:00 pm
Nick,
give me a call if you want to take up the offer of using the side frames from my OB project build with a new baffle for experimental purposes. If you send me the cut-out details and panel size for the baffles I'll get them cut for you.
Will do. Though at the moment I just have in mind stealing James design with a 10" hole for the upper driver. Found this on Simons site.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-gh3h7RjZ6bc/U ... 2+crop.jpg
http://simonsnewadventuresinhifi.blogsp ... lence.html

Will Have to measure the driver to find the hole size for the 10" driver.