Floods

Subjects that don't have their own home
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 Floods

Post by Paul Barker »

Hope our friends in People’s Republic of South Yorkshire and anywhere else that there is flooding are managing alright.

Scarborough is OK if anyone cares.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Floods

Post by Cressy Snr »

We live high up, so no problems here, but I had a dog out this morning and looking out over the Don valley, it’s biblical.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#3 Re: Floods

Post by simon »

It's pretty bad in places, worse than 2007 in some locations. Didn't shut the M1 this time though, but the flood defences built at the back of Meadowhell after the 2007 floods were breached. The worst is probably still to come later today as it takes a while for the catchment to fill the watercourses.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: Floods

Post by simon »

This is the back of Meadowhell I think, yesterday before it overtopped. Hope the link works.

simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#5 Re: Floods

Post by simon »

This is the closest river level monitoring station to Meadowhall - see how quickly the water level rose, and then fell

https://flood-warning-information.servi ... irection=u

River Don at Hadfields.PNG

The severe flood warnings are for further down the Don valley now, heading towards Donny.

https://flood-warning-information.servi ... k/warnings
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#6 Re: Floods

Post by simon »

York on the other hand takes a couple of days for the water level to peak. It's not looking too bad around there at the moment.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: Floods

Post by IslandPink »

I'll get a report from my sister later.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Ant
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Floods

Post by Ant »

Looking down over the dearne River from my lads school this morning, there is almost 3/4 of a miles worth of fields between the river and the nearest houses in Mexborough. Those fields are under about 15" of water across the whole 3/4 mile. It's come almost all the way up. I'm not sure wether the sluice gates on the river have been opened into denaby ings nature reserve (it's a small lake just off the dearne river) but they have been opened on the Mexborough side river bank to stop the dearne breaching the berm on the Harlington side of the river and flooding the bottom of that village. They did the same in 07 but there was not even half the amount of water vented into the fields then.
The Don and dearne rivers meet about 3 miles downstream of the nature reserve between Sprotbrough and cadeby, so that whole area gets bad. Not seen it this bad though, there is a road bridge across the dearne where the reserve is that's about 10 feet above the river normally that was underwater last night. Shows how high it got
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ant
Shed dweller

#9 Re: Floods

Post by Ant »

this is what it looks like at the moment taken from the back of the nearest mexborough houses

ImageRiver dearne flooding by anthony cresswell, on Flickr

you can see where the water goes back to, the straight line where the water stops is a 15 foot berm on the river bank, the river is behind this
you can barely make out 5 black pipes just to the right of centre is of the photo which is the top of the sluice gate. just to the left of the light green trees. its alot deeper than i thought it was, the water is almost up to the top of the berm
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10 Re: Floods

Post by Ray P »

Call that a flood?!

This happens a lot in Somerset;

Hope you all keep well though.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#11 Re: Floods

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Glad you guys are okay, of course we lived in Chesterfield for five years up until just under a year ago so I recognise all the areas that are currently being talked about on the news.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets