57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Caveat emptor, Caveat venditor
Nick
Site Admin

#31 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by Nick »

You run the risk of pulling the end caps off the resistors or at least disturbing the connection. I dont know about the sonic qualities as I have not tried to compare.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#32 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by Toppsy »

It does make me laugh and wonder how some folk pontificate over a single resistor in the circuit of a amp or whatever and how this will affect the whole sound of the unit!! But then they would go and bolt a small full range driver to a plank of wood and eulogise how great it sounds!! I'm with Ed's outlook that life's too short.
JohnG
Old Hand

#33 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by JohnG »

I think the same as Colin on his assessment, a request for a knowledge of a certain type of resistor with a not so usual value and now the part requested by myself has received reports of instability, so the tolerances being requested seems like a no go, has generated a business on the subject, which for me is good, as I have now got a few bits of knowledge on board, I was unaware of.
I informed the EE doing the build on this new to me info' and was assured I was not to be concerned.
My approach has been clear and any further requested info's by Audio Talk to support my request has been updated.
Their is no 'Veil of Secrecy' involved, 'maybe' there are contributors just wanting to know more about the intended use, and as a EE Thicko, following is my description,
"It will be a part used in a Schematic, in the producing of Bespoke Build that is being done for me".
On a side note, if my approach to the subject of a particular resistor type, has caused a niggle, and got a few keypads put into use, then IMO that is great, as a Public Forum is always looking at its best when lively debate is ongoing.
I feel confident that every contributor, at some point in their Journey to the now, has had the same limitations in their EE resourcefulness as I can jovially display.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#34 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:39 pm If through hole could one use an SMD by soldering on wire ends ?
Yes I've done this.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#35 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:51 pm You have to buy the biggest ones they make, if you want to have any chance of soldering them to anything !
I used the 1 Watt ones from Rapid, (I assume they still stock them), they at least don't look like specks of black dirt. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:00 pm It may (possibly) be that you are asking for something that is non existent in reality, as in the original request.

That, together with the "secrecy" of the intended use, has (I suspect) elicited a degree of wee wee taking.
Yes, again, why does the value have to be so specific? :D

As Nick suggested you're looking at 0.1% metal film to get close to that tight. And I freely admit I don't like the "sound" of metal film, preferring carbon film, or composite, or wirewound. So yes I am biased. :D (Just FYI, the SMD resistors I've used are "thick film". I think.)

But for me that means the close tolerance of metal film is a non-starter then. Hence I'm curious why the value has to be so tight. As you may be able to tell, it's making the build difficult. :D

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#37 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by IslandPink »

Nick wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:23 pm You run the risk of pulling the end caps off the resistors or at least disturbing the connection. I dont know about the sonic qualities as I have not tried to compare.
I didn't have that, but it's possible. Biggest problem was soldering the thing to a valve tag without the wire coming off the other end, or vice-versa.
Gary Pimm used them right through his Tabor amp, so I was enthusiastic at that point. Since then I've mislaid the reel of resistors, but might try them again in the future phono build.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#38 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:38 pm Biggest problem was soldering the thing to a valve tag without the wire coming off the other end, or vice-versa.
In that situation I've used a clip-on heat shunt before. Just an uninsulated croc clip a smidge bigger than clip lead size was enough to shunt the heat away used to seem to work ok, cheap quick effective. Win win !
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#39 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by IslandPink »

Good call ! :D
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
JohnG
Old Hand

#40 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by JohnG »

I don't know the intended usage, how the design is going to implement it, or the reasoning behind the value to be used.
It is all part of a process to producing a Bespoke Device for myself.
I have no wish to discuss with the EE any of his reasoning, I am happy to be supported in the production of a device that is developed for me with my ear as a adjudicator.
I have auditioned the device in relation to a correctly measured functionality, and also as a Bespoke device.
My choice has been for the Bespoke Device, if over time that decision has changes made on my say,
the correctly measured option or a slight mod in the area of keeping it as a bespoke unit is available to me.
I am happy to be active in my very small way in the road to the production of the unit.
'Oh Yeah' and happy guessing the function of the device :?
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#41 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by pre65 »

JohnG wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:40 pm
'Oh Yeah' and happy guessing the function of the device :?
Am I bovvered ? :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#42 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by Nick »

Oh Yeah' and happy guessing the function of the device
Adding resistance to something.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#43 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Or leave a capacitor bleeding in a ditch rather than just dead :D
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#44 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by Toppsy »

I'm in agreement with 5 of 9 on this "Resistance is futile" as I believe this thread has become
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#45 Re: 57.6KOhm Resistor 'Carbon Composite'

Post by pre65 »

Toppsy wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:00 pm I'm in agreement with 5 of 9 on this "Resistance is futile" as I believe this thread has become
Don't hold back Colin, say what you really mean. :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)