Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10726 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

Ant wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:16 pm Some bargains to be had at the moment
Hey Ant, I know you like your turntable/tonearm/cartridge bargains but have you ever considered something like this?

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/analogu ... nearm.html

IIRC the guy spent around $50 to $100 on the materials to build it.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10727 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:42 pm We walked to Crayford today and passed a place and noticed there was a blue plaque on the wall, its finally been recognised for its history, whahey!
. . .
That is seriously cool .. Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10728 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Anyone know anything about bandsaws?

My old Axminster little one just failed (one of the wheels broke)

So, upgrade time. I am considering the Charnwood b250 or the Lumberjack BS254.

Open to ideas about other alternatives.

Thoughts appreciated.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#10729 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Toppsy »

Before I decided to give up making speakers I was considering buying a BS250 Record Power bandsaw. Worth checking out their range https://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/bandsaws
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10730 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

Toppsy wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:46 pm Before I decided to give up making speakers I was considering buying a BS250 Record Power bandsaw. Worth checking out their range https://www.recordpower.co.uk/category/bandsaws
I did look at the BS250 but the reviews I read were not great...

All the manufacturers show a huge lack of originality in naming these products. All are called B/BS (bandsaw) 250/254 (10").
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#10731 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Toppsy »

Fair enough.
Of your 2 mentioned bandsaws my money would be on the Charnwood though I have no experience of their products. However, I do have a Lumberjack router table cost me near on £180 when I bought it and to be honest the quality is poor and not that accurate to use for consistent results. Used it just the once and ruined some expensive hardwood and have not used it since. Base is a moulded plastic affair and the deck is merely pressed sheet steel that flexes under pressure and was not truly flat. Can't say what their bandsaws are like but based on their router table I wouldn't buy another woodworking power tool from them again.
ed
retired

#10732 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I had this when I was making speakers:

https://www.sipuk.co.uk/sip-01489-14-tw ... 1000w.html

although if memory serves it was 2hp and it had a stand with a cabinet in it, although that's deffo the same model number.
It was a brilliant machine and I was sad to let it go. A word to the wise though. All bandsaws need a bit of modding to get the blade guide to go up and down absolutely true. Elsewise it's a chore to keep setting the bearings exactly.

The price on the link seems an absolute bargain for that machine. I certainly paid a lot more when I bought mine.

Yes, I can recommend SIP.

diet: whatever you buy make sure it has a 3 bearing guide top and bottom.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10733 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

Mike H wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:45 pm
Dave the bass wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:42 pm We walked to Crayford today and passed a place and noticed there was a blue plaque on the wall, its finally been recognised for its history, whahey!
. . .
That is seriously cool .. Image
Yeah, I thought so too, ta.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

#10734 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

has anybody got a virgin PAYG sim?

I have, and got an email this morning to say they're changing the deal....
it says ...you get up to 200 minutes per day for £2...that's the min charge..if you make 1 call for 2 minutes it's still £2
if you use more than 200 minutes in a day then it reverts to 1p per minute....

yeah, really....I should have posted this in the joke section...

I looked on the interweb and it seems the information email has been around for the last couple of days and there are lots and lots of miserable reports. It took me about 10 mins to recover and phone the three support line with my PAC code....

I just can't imagine the discussion around the project table when this was agreed...I've no idea what the agenda was/is but it doesn't do anything for the customers as far as I can tell...who uses more than 200 minutes per day on PAYG!! well done Virgin!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10735 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

A smidge under 3.5 hours. I dunno, when I did a long train journey back in June, Boston to Essex, I was staggered how long people spend talking on their phones. On the Fenchurch Street line one guy was on solid right from when he got in and sat down, through us waiting for the train to leave (20 minutes?) then until he got off, pretty much. Upminster? Horndon? Or maybe I got off first (Laindon). And it seemed to be about work stuff, not all personal stuff. Or maybe he was talking to a friend or partner about work stuff, so it was a personal call.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10736 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I had a short listening session with a World Designs 6550 push pull amp the other day, and I was pleasantly surprised at the "fullness" of the presentation.

So, today I am reacquainting myself with an old friend, my first amp build, the 832a push pull amp.

I remembered it had a fault last time out (many,many years ago) so I tested it and found one of the 832a was dodgy, so I swapped in a replacement and all seems well. I gave it a once over and removed all the dust and cobwebs while it was on the bench.

So now it's in the main system and playing a few favourites. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10737 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

chris661
Shed dweller

#10738 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by chris661 »

I had an amp out for repairs (long story - it went to the UK service centre, sat there for a while, went to Italy to the manufacturer, got fixed eventually) after a firmware update bricked it. Anyway, it's back in the rack now:

In the rack, we've got (top to bottom)
- 4-channel amp for bi-amping the main speakers - 4x 1500w
- 2 channel amp for the subwoofers - 2x 3000w
- 4-channel amp for stage monitors - 4x 750w

How they get those power levels in a box that big is voodoo to me, but it seems to work. The whole rack weighs less than the 2x2500w Crown amp that came to Owston.

Sitting on top is a mixing desk which also works rather nicely for on-location recording - you can record up to 32 channels (30 inputs plus a stereo mix) straight to a USB solid-state drive (disk drives just aren't fast enough) and mix down later. I've got a few bits of recording work coming up with various bands at Sheffield University, so watch this space.

The most recent recording work (which I'm hoping to be able to share at some point) was with a choir of 14. I set up a few mics around the cathedral (St Marie's in Sheffield) but ended up using the mid/side array for the finished product. The idea there is you've got 2x mics. One points forward and forms the central image, and then there's a figure-of-8 mic which you aim side-to-side, placing the choir in the null. By splitting that signal, panning it hard left/right and inverting the right (negative, since the mic is dipole) side, you can then choose the stereo width just by adding more or less of the "side" signal.

If anyone would like to look them up, the mics were a Beyer MC930 for the mid, and a SE VR1 ribbon for the side.

Chris
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10739 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

I was poking around Ebay earlier and tried 4212 valves (212).

WOW. :shock:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4212H-ITT-V1 ... SwMmhdfkCG
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10740 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

"I believe these newer been used"
Wow indeed , how many people could actually implement an amp with these ... £4000 or otherwise ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"