bbc live radio streams

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 bbc live radio streams

Post by ed »

I've just tried to listen to 6 music via squeezelite and lms 711
squeezelite goes to sleep, no radio at all. I've just checked and it does the same on all my bbc links.
I did a google search and it seems the beeb have changed something since I last listened to a bbc stream. I can't figure out what it is there saying about the new regime.

does anybody still stream bbc radio via their squeeze set up and if so is there an easy description of what's going on.

curiously radio 5 live still works.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#2 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by The Stratmangler »

The Beeb keep breaking things, so the LMS keeps getting updated, and the iPlayer with it.
Currently on LMS version 7.9.2 and using iPlayer v1.6.8,and all works fine.

You still running LMS on a Zyxel NAS, Ed?
Chris :happy3:
ed
retired

#3 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by ed »

yep still on 325 gen2

there is no way to update LMS on the zyxel...I do beleive I'm stuck with 7.7.1
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#4 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by simon »

I can't answer the Beeb question ed but I've been running LMS on a Rpi instead of the Zyxel for quite a while now. A cheap and low energy way, though not as cheap and low energy as the NAS you're already using. But at least it's updated more often than Zyxel.
ed
retired

#5 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by ed »

pi was always at the back of my mind...I had envisaged that I would replace the beaglebone at some point with a pi3 and one of the dac boards but I am truly out of touch with the current streaming gizmos...

A pi as a server rather than a client would involve thinking about sata expansion boards and a more beefy power supply and new discs and and and ...or use the pi just for LMS and keep the data on the current NAS....

oh waily, I was quite happy in my little archaic coccoon right up until I had an urge to listen to 6 music......

I'm really resisting putting my hand in my pocket at the mo..speshly as the powers that be have declined to give me a pension or a bus pass..seems I have to wait....oh waily...it must be Boris' fault...

snigger

diet: I did check earlier, and it seems DABs have a newer zyxel, I think it's called 326 and it's advertised as having LMS on board. I wonder if its the latest version or whether it's updateable.
Last edited by ed on Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#6 Re: bbc live radio streams

I've been running LMS on a RasPi for a couple of years now, and it's excellent.
Interfaces nicely with the Zyxel NSA310 too.
ed
retired

#7 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by ed »

I suppose it's not beyond the wit of man(or a simpleton like me) to run the server and the client on the same Pi....

does that sound workable?
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#8 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by simon »

Yeah that's what I do too, just disabled the Zyxel LMS service. The pi was quicker too IIRC.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#9 Re: bbc live radio streams

ed wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:30 pm I suppose it's not beyond the wit of man(or a simpleton like me) to run the server and the client on the same Pi....

does that sound workable?
Default with piCorePlayer is both running simultaneously.
What it sounds like I couldn't tell.
I spent time digging around and turning the client and other unnecessary bits (for me) off.

We have a third player here - it's a Chromecast Audio player integrated into LMS, and that does a decent enough job :)
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#10 Re: bbc live radio streams

simon wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:32 pm Yeah that's what I do too, just disabled the Zyxel LMS service. The pi was quicker too IIRC.
The Pi is extremely fast connecting to external content servers.
It connects to the Beeb in a couple of seconds, Tidal a similar amount of time.
Local library needs time to spin up (around 20 seconds), but once active it is also very speedy.
Neal
Shed dweller

#11 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by Neal »

I’m in the same boat with my NSA320S. Been putting it off as I ran out of available RPi’s but I’ve just found an RPi 2 B+......great except the SD slot it bust....drat....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
ed
retired

#12 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by ed »

Most of my music listening these days is via streaming radio, although, as you can see, I haven't looked at the BBC for a while. Most of my listening has been Paradise lately.

Looks like I'll have to get a bit more up to date. I'm currently looking at a Pi3 B+ with a 7" screen and some kind of DAC piggy back board. Nick mentioned sometime back that this is the best set up to mimic a squeezebox touch, but I had the beaglebone and that worked ok at the time.

Any thoughts on the best VFM for one of the piggy back DACs. Before this occured I was looking at a Topping D30(dsd) to replace the cheap behringer that I've been using. I haven't done all the research but so far I think a dsd piggy back might be expensive.

I suppose I could just get the Pi and the screen and still use a Topping via USB. mmmmmm it all gets a bit trixy.
Nick
Site Admin

#13 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by Nick »

I think Mark uses the pi via USB just fine. No screen though. I used my phone to drive it, but would be interesting to see how it works out with the screen doing the squezebox impersonation.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#14 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by simon »

I think there are some pages out there of peeps that have mimicked a Touch with a pi and a 7" screen. Well trod path I think that should be relatively easy to follow...

I don't have the pi running as server and renderer so can't comment on that. The only plug in type dac I have experience of is Allo Boss, which connects via the GPIO pins an sounds pretty good to me, not that I've ever done any serious comparisons.
ed
retired

#15 Re: bbc live radio streams

Post by ed »

thanks Simon...

I did a bit of research yesterday and it seems that picoreplayer now contains jivelite which is the goto screen support for pi so I don't think there is any setup shenanigins to be followed for this.......

I could just get a pi and use my netbook as I am at present and just add cosmetics later I suppose....thats the minimum to get back the BBC.

like I said decisions decisions..they're so trixy