Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ant
Shed dweller

#10651 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Ever get absolutely sick of music?
I just did. I finally snapped after 3 hours of being wailed at by Florence Welch.
I dont get to play very much music these days because my wife plays whatever she wants from the moment she gets up to whenever I have had enough and snap.
This has been going on for a few months now, an obsessive part of her bipolar condition.
It is on for hours and hours and hours. Album after album. It all merges into a muddled cacophony which I struggle to identify by the end of the day.
Same albums over and over again, so much so that I have developed a seething hatred of the entire cure back catalogue, a vicious desire to set fire to every copy of dsotm I own, an overwhelming urge to use copies of Florence and the machine albums as Frisbees for the dog, a longing to find Brian molko of placebo and punch him in the mouth to stop him singing his miserable dirge at me, and an incessant ringing of the ears as its constantly too loud.
It is like living in the bedroom of a sullen teenager and it is making me start to resent music.
Need to do something, a heated conversation with she who in this case can nanas is likely to follow.
She finally broke me.
The only thing I can relate it to is my first job, 12 hour shifts in next, at Christmas, the same 10 song playlist that lasted about half an hour. Then started again. By dinnertime it was like nails being dragged down a blackboard, by the end of the shift you wanted to tear your own ears off
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10652 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Cressy Snr »

Calm down, pretend to go to the shop and go for a walk.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
ed
retired

#10653 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

fwiw I quite like Florence....

whahey!!! we've just had a smart meter(electricity) fitted and I've been like a kiddie in a sweet shop, running around finding out how much things supposedly cost to run.......

at the moment my 2a3 costs £0.02 per hour to run.....

I'm sure I'll get over the novelty soon.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10654 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:23 pm fwiw I quite like Florence....
I'm more of a Zebedee guy myself :bounce:
ed wrote: I'm sure I'll get over the novelty soon.
Now they really are watching you...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10655 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

I got a smart meter with the replacement boiler last year (well not 'with' exactly, a case of, we can do this as well while we're here and it won't cost you nowt)

I am still surprised how far the electric kettle pushes up the power meter, only narrowly surpassed by the electric oven :shock:

Or is it the washing machine on heat cycle...

@ Ant: bluddy hell mate Image

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#10656 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:43 pm
Now they really are watching you...
because I'm still a bit of a geek I'm quite curious to crack the message protocol between the meter and the monitor....then it'll be a case of me watching them watching me.....or something like that.
ed
retired

#10657 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

a bit more on the smart meter issue...

I get up late on Thursdays(no swimming), so at 7:30 I wandered into the kitchen and noticed the smart meter monitor and went to have a look....meter said energy now £0.01...ooh that's good I thought, then switched to energy today and it said 'over budget' and 1.48kwh usage......

mmm at 7:30 in the morning what could have used 1.48kwh when we don't have any electrical things to come on in the night.

my only thought was that the words on the meter 'energy today' might mean energy usage in the last 24 hours, and if so it's very misleading. I'm gonna keep a close eye on this piece of 'progress'.

anybody else had issues with one of these things....there is lots of negativity on the web, but I only noticed it after having the thing fitted.
shane
Social outcast

#10658 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by shane »

I had one of these fitted back in June which is supposed to cover gas and electricity. The gas meter relays its info to the electricity meter, which then sends it to the monitor unit and relays the readings to the supplier.

Checking my account, I now see the the gas readings are all showing correctly as having restarted from zero on the day it was fitted, but the electricity is still showing estimated readings from the old meter. I’ve called the supplier twice so far, both times they’ve said that the meter needs to be reprogrammed remotely to give daily readings. So far no change...

Bizarre that it’s the electricity side that’s not working. The gas reading has to go through an extra link between the two meters, but works fine.

It’s a generation 2 meter, and I’m still with the supplier that fitted it, so it’s a bit disappointing really.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
ed
retired

#10659 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

ooh!, this is fun(well, for some at least)

Continuing my rounds of the house, measuring the consumption of everything I can lay my hands on, I arrived in the attic to measure the pc that has the email client...and the meter said 256.4v at the wall socket...that might be a record for me.

the energy monitor that came with the smart meter seems to generally agree with my power meter...so I'm thinking the culprit for the missing 1.48kwh must be the fridge freezer....who'd have thought it!, sits quietly in the corner minding it's own business while cunningly stealing all the electricity, just like paddy's wheelbarrows, right under ones nose.
Ant
Shed dweller

#10660 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

We found that the worst offenders were the kettle and oven, (obviously) the hob strangely isn't too bad, and the 2 playstation 4s we have.
Even the mac mini is quite bad. On a Saturday when the kids are in and using them through the day, 3 kids on the 3 machines can easily go through a few quids worth of electricity. The f5 amp is also relatively greedy if its on all day

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10661 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

I know that this isn't the right place, but I have a pair of KEF XQ5 speakers in "used" condition but never thrashed. They were owned by a KEF employee, then me for the last 10 years or so.

I'm changing our whole setup, so these speakers are now surplus to requirements.

Any interest?
Ant
Shed dweller

#10662 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Thought this was brilliant, popped up in my YouTube feed

Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#10663 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:43 pm Any interest?
I might know someone who coud be interested - what sort of money are you looking for?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10664 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

I'll send you a PM...
Ant
Shed dweller

#10665 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Got myself an ancient dynavector ultimo 20a homc cart from the seventies this week, paid the princely sum of 20 quid.
Seller said it was buggered, sold as spares or repair, but looking at the pics, the stylus was utterly filthy.
It's taken almost a week of cleaning it to get all the crap off it using an at637 stylus cleaner and cleaning fluid, convention say not to use stylus cleaning fluid these days, but nothing to lose but my 20 quid. but it was worth it.
It has a shibata stylus
Sounds absolutely lovely