Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Mayer Split-EQ

Post by IslandPink »

"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Mayer Split-EQ

Post by IslandPink »

Well I thought it was interesting, anyway.
Nick
Site Admin

#3 Re: Mayer Split-EQ

Post by Nick »

Yep, but without any details its all a bit of a guess. Got me thinking what it means. I do sometimes wonder just how many components can be added in the search of less components in the signal path :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#4 Re: Mayer Split-EQ

Post by izzy wizzy »

It got me thinking but my brain hurt. Haven't yet embraced lcr eq so this is beyond my understanding as to why it would be a good idea but maybe I missed something.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Mayer Split-EQ

Post by IslandPink »

I thought you might have solved it, it was my way of asking :)
I wonder if it uses something like the 'subtractive crossover' idea ?
But how you re-join the HF signal later, without introducing a cap or something, puzzles me.
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: Mayer Split-EQ

Post by Nick »

Just a guess, so it the same way you create a mono from your dac. Take the input, apply first stage gain, have a transformer to couple to two secodaries, apply different eq on each secondary, the stack the two signals on top of each other to join together again. But I am sure its more cunning than that.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Mayer Split-EQ

Post by Nick »

Actually, reading it again, he explains it. First stage gain. apply low pass with 0db at 1khz, so instead of dropping 1kHz by 20dB in normal RIAA, just leave it as it is, then apply another 14dB gain in parallel to give the 50z level, apply a low pass to this, so its 26dB down at 1kHz, add in first part, takes the less than 1kHz part up 6dB so the 50Hz point is 20dB.

Or something like that.
Nick
Site Admin

#8 Re: Mayer Split-EQ

Post by Nick »

A dog walk of thinking later. The problem to me seems to be phase, both on getting the two parts to join up (which I think Mark with his loudspeaker head on already thought of), and also making the overall phase response of the entire system including the serial eq added to the recording side to be phase neutral.

Also, while the idea of having a stage less in the >1kHz signal sounds good, the the article then goes on the say the problem is lack of gain, the solution of that problem suggested is building a preamp into the system, which sounds rather like adding the missing extra stage.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: Mayer Split-EQ

Post by IslandPink »

I guess if you use the 'stacked' transformer windings at the end, twin primaries, single secondary , then you have at least 0 and 180° as options.
Or can you stack the output without a transformer, if you use a floating ground on one band ?