Guitar Amp for Granddaughter

What people are working on at the moment
RhythMick
Old Hand

#16 Re: Guitar Amp for Granddaughter

Post by RhythMick »

Nick wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:55 am
Plus I'm sorry but I haven't heard any digital amp sound anything like as good as a proper valve amp. Call me old fashioned.
No, but they can sound 95% as good as 20 amps and 20 cabs, and a floor full of pedals, are easy to carry to gigs, can sound good at both bedroom practice and playing with drums volume, and have DI outputs if needed.
As you rightly point out, it all depends what the original objective is. Whichever way I'm sure the granddaughter will be happy.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Guitar Amp for Granddaughter

Post by Cressy Snr »

My primary objective was a nice custom, single ended, combo valve job based on the Fender Champ 5F1.
8 or 10 inch Celestion or Jensen speaker, and retro cabinetry in chrome and pink. IOW something unique. I’m torn.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#18 Re: Guitar Amp for Granddaughter

Post by Ray P »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:31 pm My primary objective was a nice custom, single ended, combo valve job based on the Fender Champ 5F1.
8 or 10 inch Celestion or Jensen speaker, and retro cabinetry in chrome and pink. IOW something unique. I’m torn.
So how does the Blackthingy achieve your objective?

There's something incredibly satisfying about creating something unique.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Guitar Amp for Granddaughter

Post by Cressy Snr »

Ray P wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:56 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:31 pm My primary objective was a nice custom, single ended, combo valve job based on the Fender Champ 5F1.
So how does the Blackthingy achieve your objective
Well it doesn’t achieve my objective, but is it about me or what’s best for her? So the question remains unanswered: do I buy her something or do I make her something? I know what my heart tells me to do, but reason says otherwise.
The ‘gumption’ as Pirsig would have said, has escaped.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Guitar Amp for Granddaughter

Post by pre65 »

Make her one Steve, she will treasure it more because of the love that you put into its creation.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#21 Re: Guitar Amp for Granddaughter

Post by Nick »

So the question remains unanswered: do I buy her something or do I make her something? I know what my heart tells me to do, but reason says otherwise.
Thing is IMHO, other than the niceness of being made by her grandfather, a champ copy is not a very versatile tool for a beginner. The modelling amp is much more of an all rounder. After six months of that, she may have found some sounds she likes and that gives you a much better idea what amp to build her that may actually get used.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#22 Re: Guitar Amp for Granddaughter

Post by Ray P »

Cressy Snr wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:48 pmWell it doesn’t achieve my objective, but is it about me or what’s best for her? So the question remains unanswered: do I buy her something or do I make her something? I know what my heart tells me to do, but reason says otherwise.
You could always do both.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#23 Re: Guitar Amp for Granddaughter

Post by ed »

this thread ticks all the boxes for me, thanks Steve....

Imo the Blackstar vid says it all. I have experience of both(well mainly the Fender twin but it's not too different from the 5 series) and I would go for the Blackstar every time.

If you chose the Fender you would be limiting her progress and experience for the immediate future, but that's only valid if she is really intent on learning to play the instrument seriously.

The other way of looking at it, in my opinion, is that it highlights that emotional investment thing, which has blighted forums from day one.

modelling has to be the future. My biggest regret is selling my Line 6 variax, which I would replace straight away if I could afford it.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be