sv572 re born

What people are working on at the moment
ed
retired

#1 sv572 re born

Post by ed »

Following the temporary re-birth of the sv572 for Owston I had to do a bit of revision regarding the sv572 and valves in general. I brushed off the cobwebs, read my old notes and re-biased it, and it sounds great(to me).

I did some measurements with the scope and found that between 0v and 1.2v RMS input it has a consistent gain of 3.8 at 1k but as the input increases above 1.2v there is a very slight flattening of the waveform at the bottom and the gain drops to 3.75. I guess the clip point with this set-up is at just under 3 watts then, with an output of 4.55v into 8 ohms.

With the bias at 90v and anode at 500v it idles at 50ma. I drew out the expected loadline for 5k and this figure(50ma) is way below expected. I'm not sure why this is at the mo but it'll be exciting to find out. I'm sure I was aware of this way back in the day but there wasn't any mention in the build notes.

So, not content to just listen to it, I decided to model the circuit in spice, something I'd never done with this amp. Using Duncan's model for the sv572 I got some very curious results. The model shows a gain of about 1. The front end(aikido) models perfectly for voltage gain but the back end seems very strange. I'm very curious about this bit and will pursue it.

All in all a pleasant diversion form the normal time-wasting endeavours. I'm hoping I can persuade Steve to let me hook up to his baffles to hear the best from this.
sv572 cct.jpg
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: sv572 re born

Post by IslandPink »

Presumably at -90 bias there's no grid current ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

#3 Re: sv572 re born

Post by ed »

No...no A2!

my bad I should have mentioned. I'm actually using sv811-3a in this version and that doesn't show any A2 on the datasheet. SV572 shows A2 curves for positive grid.

there may be stray stuff but I'm not sure:

a) if it's there
b)how to measure it if it is there
c) what effect the fixed bias cap would have on any grid current if there actually were any.

today I have to go and fix(hopefully) a persistent warning light in the car. OBD2 codes indicate a ECT sensor fault so the garage has changed both sensors and the thermostat and the light still keeps coming on. So today I'm taking matters into my own hands and getting dirty. So I won't be able to reply further today.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: sv572 re born

Post by Mike H »

If it's not behaving the same as the real amp, I venture to suggest the sv572 model may not be realistic enough.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
ed
retired

#5 Re: sv572 re born

Post by ed »

or I've screwed up the model for the 5k se transformer....
I couldn't find any inductance figures for the James so I used standard Hammond figures for a 1628...I hope I've got that right. I've never modelled a transformer before.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#6 Re: sv572 re born

Post by Paul Barker »

I’d estimate the James uses better core material, meaning you’re estimate would be bettered.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
ed
retired

#7 Re: sv572 re born

Post by ed »

sorted!

I screwed up the transformer model...I had the leakage figure wrong: 0.95 should have been 0.999

doh!

wish I'd thought of spice for valves back in the day, it would have prevented lots of wasted effort...it also kicks you in the arras when you start to assume things.