Interesting acoustics

Subjects that don't have their own home
Michael L
Old Hand

#1 Interesting acoustics

Post by Michael L »

I walk the dog under a viaduct which carries trains over the River Severn in Shrewsbury.
I enjoy the reverberation in the arch we pass through and thought I would record some foot stamping.
Perhaps others have their own favourite places with interesting acoustics.

The longest reverbs seem to occur when triggered about a quarter of the way in. I've no doubt there's a formula.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: Interesting acoustics

Post by Mike H »

I have to say, if viewed out of context, that's a really surreal video :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Michael L
Old Hand

#3 Re: Interesting acoustics

Post by Michael L »

Yes you're right Mike!
I've always been fascinated by sound. I loved my PE Minisonic synth that I built as a teen despite the fact that it couldn't hold pitch for any time. As a BT apprentice I spent a couple of weeks in the tunnels under Newhall St in Brum. They were very good for echoes and reverb fun. I only lasted two weeks mind - due to my SAD. I needed light and pleaded to be able to cut short my assignment. It used to be hush hush down there until a Lord Mayor unwittingly discussed the place in a speech.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#4 Re: Interesting acoustics

Post by Dave the bass »

...I was waiting for the drums to start and the bass kick in.

I thought it was the start of a trippy dub track!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Michael L
Old Hand

#5 Re: Interesting acoustics

Post by Michael L »

The effect is rather lost in the recording sadly. It's a massive structure and the sound reflecting back and forth end to end is very impressive. I wonder why it dies off so suddenly after five or six reflections. You may think I need to get out more but I was! It's the sort of sound that totally ruins concerts of course. I remember seeing Dweezle Zappa and band at Birmingham Town Hall - sadly not a structure built for amplified music - terrible sound. We had seen him at Warwick Arts Centre a couple of years before. May have well been two different bands such was the difference in acoustics.