The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#1576 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Good to meet up with you on my patch of Somerset earlier today Mr. Bass and thanks for the vino...

I assume you both got Mr Capsey home safely and he can look forward to a loving, caring home in his mature years.

Did you and JTS enjoy the Fleet Air Arm museum (and catch a glimpse of the Westland Wyvern, one of my favourite planes)?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1577 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:34 pm
Odd thing is, I had a really good walk last Saturday o the hills. It was the best I've felt for about 3 years, the climbing was so much quicker and easier than normal.
Do more walking then Mark. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1578 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Thanks ! - don't mind if I do. Going out in an hour or so.
Let's hope lightning strikes twice in the same spot - but not literally.

Meanwhile, I was watching the cycling ( European champs in Glasgow ) yesterday. The GB women's track squad rode the second round of the team pursuit in a cool 4mins 16.7 sec. That works out at 34.8mph including getting off the start line. It's a different world, innit ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1579 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Ray P wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:32 pm Good to meet up with you on my patch of Somerset earlier today Mr. Bass and thanks for the vino...

I assume you both got Mr Capsey home safely and he can look forward to a loving, caring home in his mature years.

Did you and JTS enjoy the Fleet Air Arm museum (and catch a glimpse of the Westland Wyvern, one of my favourite planes)?
Yup's, it was good to meet up with you and Mr Capsey too. I've got him home safe and sound and he appears to be getting on well with Scobswell!.

Is Mr Capsey left handed per chance? The brakes took me by surprise, front and rear are reversed :) The front caliper is nearly seized but its not a problem as I'm going to strip and fettle everything on him and build a similar looking minimalist single-speeder using a combo of bits from Capsey-the-bike and my current SS-er that has a Halfords/Carrera hybrid frame with a crazy high bottom bracket height. Capsey will replace the Carrera.

Yeah, we both had an ace time at the FAAM ta. A great place to chill out and wander about whilst the world and all the family trundle along the A303 back home. I don't remember seeing your fave TBH but I was stoked that Leysdown/Eastchurch on Sheppey got a lot of mentions in the Pioneer displays, Shorts were based down there for a while. Whahey!

Too hot/knackered to do much today, still unpacking stuff. Meh.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1580 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:18 pm That works out at 34.8mph including getting off the start line. It's a different world, innit ?
Yes.

They're Athletes, we're not :)
Ray P

#1581 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:31 pm The brakes took me by surprise, front and rear are reversed :)
Most people like a surprise!

Nope, he's right handed (I'm one of the elite though, left eyed, left handed, left footed...) and to be honest I hadn't noticed they were reversed. He needs some TLC as he's been sitting in a bike rack for a long time (in the office basement I might add) and I'm sure he'll enjoy his new life with you. Have fun and let us see what you make of him idc.

Glad you had a good time yesterday.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1582 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Dave the bass wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:33 pm
IslandPink wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:18 pm That works out at 34.8mph including getting off the start line. It's a different world, innit ?
Yes.

They're Athletes, we're not :)
athlete
ˈaθliːt
noun
a person who is proficient in sports and other forms of physical exercise.

Whilst we may not be professionals, we're all (I assume) at least proficient. Just a different grade of athlete to the professionals.

Don't put yourself down. (let other do that :D )

Still too hot to cycle here, so in the desert again yesterday late afternoon/evening...
IMG-20180803-WA0004-1536x864.jpeg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#1583 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Training for the 115mile charity ride continues - it's now just two weeks away - I've been out on early morning 30mile rides yesterday and today, averaging around 15.5mph.

Excluding GiftAid but including offline sponsorship we're at about £4000;

https://mydonate.bt.com/teams/admiraltycollection

I'm the old fart in the yellow jersey.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1584 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Brilliant job Ray - apologies for no gift aid but am not resident for tax, so can't. I know you'll make your target 👍
Ray P

#1585 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

jack wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:44 pm ...apologies for no gift aid...
No apology needed Nick, I appreciate every donation.

I'm confident we'll beat our target without any help from GiftAid, that'll just be a nice bonus.
Ray P

#1586 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Ray P »

Just peaking with the training before I rest and refuel next week ready for the big ride. After a good distance over the coming weekend I'll only do a couple of gentle loosener rides next week so I'm, hopefully, fresh for the 20th.

I've clocked up almost 130 miles this week already including a good hard 40miler this morning when, unusually, it was cool, overcast and quite breezy;

Departed: Aug 08, '18, 07:37AM
Starts in: Taunton Deane, England, GB
Distance: 39.8 mi
Elevation: +2159/-2182ft
Max Grade: 15.4 %
VAM: 438 Vm/h
Moving Time: 02:40:54
Calories: 1747
Avg. Watts: 181
Max Speed: 39.5 mph
Avg. Speed: 14.8 mph
Moving Pace: 00:04:03
Max Heartrate: 148 bpm
Min Heartrate: 59 bpm
Avg. Heartrate: 112.5 bpm

I stopped to refuel in the village of North Curry, which seems to encapsulate the quintessential English village;

Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1587 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Deffo 'Midsommer Murders' territory by the looks of it!

Avoid retired headmasters and brass band leaders.... its always them!
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1588 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Dave the bass wrote: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:41 pm Just IME...and this really helped me a while back. the problem might be in the expectation of the 'plan'. Life isn't a plan. Just cycle when you really really want to, if you do you might find that you just get totally lost in the moment and the benefit of that is even greater than it might 1st appear. It can be very long reaching. If you don't, don't worry, don't force 'fun' because fun doesn't happen that way. If its not fun, don't do it because you're on the path to no-win and that's not a good thing (IMO/IME).
Very sage words there.

This year I've been trying to revist touring routes I did years ago, some several times, that I really enjoyed and which stuck in my memory with fond recollection. Mostly a waste of time and effort - too many changes, too much traffic, weather's not right, or whatever.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#1589 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by jack »

Arrrrggghhhhhh!

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1590 Re: The Audio-Talk Cycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Ooh yeah. :D

There's another one like that on YT set to music, one o' them "people are awsome" videos I think.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."