Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9661 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

Day trip to Holy Island tomorrow.(Saturday)

Charter train from Bury st Edmunds to Newcastle then coach. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#9662 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

directionality

with all that has been posted in recent years about directionality of :- interconnects, fuses, speaker cables et al......

what about chokes? and have some manufacturers got it wrong perhaps? would this explain why some people think some amplifiers are 'better' than others?.....

I'm wondering why this subject has seldom, if ever, cropped up on this forum......No wait, I already think I know the answer....rhetoric, such a wonderful tool.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#9663 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Walked into the living room this morning and saw, behind the mantle clock on the window sill between the Metronomes, a plump, speckled brown bird. Well, at first it was just my eyes that saw it, it took a while for my brain to catch up with the reality of "there's a bird in the living room".

My first reaction was to wonder how the hell it had got there. Had I rolled drunkenly into the local taxidermists one warm summer night and availed myself of a stuffed songthrush?

When it opened its eyes and started moving about, it then became very clear to me that yes, this was indeed a bird, and it was very much alive, and furthermore, it found being in the company of our mantle clock most disagreeable.

The skylights were open so it had clearly got in via that route. Thankfully the only evasive action it could think of to take was to make repeated attempts to fly out through the glass Kitty Pryde style, so it was relatively straightforward to open the window and let it out (or would have been if I'd not had to stand precariously on the TV table to get to the window).

And yes, the cat completely failed to spot the presence of a bird in the living room. I think he's the only feline on the planet bereft of any kind of hunting instinct.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Nick
Site Admin

#9664 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:05 pm directionality

with all that has been posted in recent years about directionality of :- interconnects, fuses, speaker cables et al......

what about chokes? and have some manufacturers got it wrong perhaps? would this explain why some people think some amplifiers are 'better' than others?.....

I'm wondering why this subject has seldom, if ever, cropped up on this forum......No wait, I already think I know the answer....rhetoric, such a wonderful tool.
I remember saying some years ago that the capacitance between one end of the windings and the core would be different to the other end. As to what if any difference this would make, don't know.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#9665 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I got quite comfortable thinking that on this forum we don't care...

snigger

but I know that don't care was made to care in the end...granny said so!
Nick
Site Admin

#9666 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

I got quite comfortable thinking that on this forum we don't care...
Not caring doesn't mean its not been thought about. I am more than happy to think about something and THEN disregard it :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ant
Shed dweller

#9667 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

I appear to have acquired half of audio technica's 1982 brochure....
Just bought an At155lc cart with low hours on it as I wanted something with higher compliance than the 150sa. The ompliance figures for the 155 are 16@100hz so approximately 25-28@10hz. Beryllium canteliever and a line contact/shibata stylus. From 1982.

The at1100 arm with the asp1 arm wand i have was apparently designed around this cart, the asp 11 was the other arm wand that was available to match the at mc carts from the time. also 1982.

Found out from the brochure I came across that the sliding base it has was an accessory that allowed overhang adjustment and replaced the original base. I thought it was from an at1120 but no, it was an optional extra that the original owner must have bought with it. Also from 82.

Interestingly, my ath7 electret cans are also from 1982, as is the at 637 stylus cleaner. And the 607 stylus cleaning fluid was available in 82

Perhaps its me who is livinginthepast and not mike H......
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ant
Shed dweller

#9668 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Well.
Got the cart today, the supposed At155lc.
Its not.
Its an at120ea with a 155 stylus on it, that has a skewed canteliever assembly.
Its plain as day when the stylus is off the body, the v magnets are aligned so that it's about ten degrees off to the right...... The canteliever isnt bent or anything, its the entire assembly that is rotated. The 120 body is not the same as the 155, its a variant of the body that the at440 uses. The 155 is the metal body the same as the 150sa I have, but with lower dcr and inductance coils..

Had a word with dom about it to see if there is a solution to realign the stylus as it looks genuine, there may be, bit I'm not going to touch it until the seller gets back to me.

Im rather pissed off with this.

I can see how it could be a genuine mistake as the stylus, box and everything else is all 155 but the body isnt. and it clearly says what it is on the top of the cart body what it actually is.

I get the feeling that I'm going to get screwed on this....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9669 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Mike H »

Congrats Steve S. :thumbleft: Shame about your mum but I've had some of that.

pre65 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:55 pm My car insurance renewal from the AA came today.

HOW MUCH ?

After looking on comparison sites I managed to get it for under half the AA quote. £200 saved. :D

It does not pay to be loyal with any insurance - always shop around.
Interestingly I did the Go Compare thing at renewal time for the Ural, (they was also used for the first time) just to see, flippin' 'eck only 2 quotes under £500! Really gone up since first time, WTH? Suddenly the renewal price (Bikesure) looked quite reasonable .. Image

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9670 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

35270091_1725654557482297_619447675514781696_o.jpg
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9671 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Dave the bass »

^^^

I reckon that couple should concentrate on building some chairs 1st before tackling DIY HiFi.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
ed
retired

#9672 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

I think they should see a consultant and discuss the length of her legs first. You may find they'd need a very bespoke chair drawing/plan.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9673 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

...and there was me wondering why he's stuck his fingers through the cone and there's wires coming out of the magnet!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#9674 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I think she's a bloke anyway. They all had long legs in those days.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9675 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:06 am I think she's a bloke anyway. They all had long legs in those days.
In 1955? You remember what wimmin looked like in 1955?

You're old, Father Ivimey, the young man said...