Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Hope Steve doesn't mind me starting this thread, but as we are getting to within 6 weeks of the meet, I thought it would be good to know what to expect in terms of kit. I reckon this meet might be the best one we've had for a while.

I'll be bringing the Fane FR driver equipped sealed boxes speakers of course, but after taking them down to our Ant's the other day, they don't leave much room in the car for a great deal else. So it may not be possible to bring the pink SET.

I'll be bringing the mutant DIYNVA amplifier, LS5 speaker cable, a BTE passive pre, my old Sony CD player, few discs and a couple of IKEA Lack tables to put everything on. It'll be a pretty sparse, simple setup and will be all the better for it.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Old Hand

#2 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I will come just for the Saturday.

If I come by train (likely) I will bring a miniBMU so it can be passed around the systems if wanted. If by car then a large BMU and a phono stage if anyone has a good one there to bake-off against. And some Statement cables.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Ray P »

I'll only be there on the Sunday and plan to bring my DSD decoder project along.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
steve s
Shed dweller

#4 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by steve s »

No problem starting this thread Steve.. been meaning to do it for a few weeks..
Hopefully I will be bringing my updated speakers and the px25 amp. But that requires a little work before hand...
I need to make some time, 3 of our parents have been on what seems like a hospital rota and those at home have needed a lot of support, there's been little spare time to get down the shed....
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#5 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Thermionic Idler »

At the very least, I can bring my AMB balanced active linestage, it's my first ever scratch-build and one of the subjects of the "Dieselpunk Preamp of Doom" thread.

At this point I don't know whether I'll have the Beast OTL amps finished in time. Brief backstory, I was made redundant in August of last year and decided to take a sabbatical until the end of 2017 as I got a pretty decent payout - that gave me the time to complete the AMB build and design work on the Beasts. Unfortunately, finding gainful employment has proved considerably more challenging then I had anticipated, resulting in me putting a hold on any further significant discretionary spending until I manage to secure an income again - sadly that includes the Beast's chassis work. This is why there's been no progress for a while.

Things have started looking a bit more promising of late - I had one interview last week and am due another tomorrow for a different position, but I'm currently leaving my chickens uncounted!
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Neal
Shed dweller

#6 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Neal »

I’ll be boring as usual, I’ll bring the GL99 and WAD phono, I wouldn’t mind comparing it against others like the Doc’s. I’ll bring my BMU as well.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#7 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by mainscablesrus »

We should have a nice valve based vintage Luxman pre amp to play with and Nick's P6 monos.

All being well a new Gorham jFET phono amp to get opinions on, I will bring my NVA stack of phono amp and PSU's as well for comparison.

Maybe the Graham speakers and a 401.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
chris661
Shed dweller

#8 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by chris661 »

6.5" 2-way speakers for sure.

Maybe with a subwoofer.
Maybe a big old Crown amplifier for if anyone wants to give something some serious juice. It's not light, though, so if it's not going to be used I'll leave it at home.

Chris
SimonC
Old Hand

#9 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by SimonC »

On a slightly different track, I'd really like the chance to listen to some of the many headphone amps that folks have. I'm planning on replacing my 'vintage' class a sand amp (the one from the WAD diy supplement in the early 90's) at some point and it would be great to get to audition a few of the designs that you like.
If anyone who is there on Sunday could bring along what they have it would be appreciated, and I will make it worth your while with edible treats as a thank you :)

My phones are HD650 and AKG Y50, so nothing out of the ordinary.

Cheers
Simon C
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

My Beresford Caiman SEG has a 1/4" headphone socket and volume control if that helps ?

I just tried it with my Fred Flintstone era Koss headphones, sounds nice but not too loud even at full volume.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

I'd rather not come to Owston in the van, but that would mean I can't bring the baffles.

Will there be enough speakers to go around ?

Edmund Burke

chris661
Shed dweller

#12 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by chris661 »

SimonC wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:28 am On a slightly different track, I'd really like the chance to listen to some of the many headphone amps that folks have. I'm planning on replacing my 'vintage' class a sand amp (the one from the WAD diy supplement in the early 90's) at some point and it would be great to get to audition a few of the designs that you like.
If anyone who is there on Sunday could bring along what they have it would be appreciated, and I will make it worth your while with edible treats as a thank you :)

My phones are HD650 and AKG Y50, so nothing out of the ordinary.

Cheers
Simon C
Hey Simon,

If you'll be there on the Sunday I'd be happy to let you try my SRH840s. I tried quite a few sets of headphones and settled on those.

If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to bring the mixing desk with some multi-track recordings on there so people can try their hand at mixing, playing with EQs/compressors/gates etc. Might be cool. I'll only be there on the Sunday, though.

Chris

Edit - if we're short on speakers I can send the 6.5" two-way ones along for Saturday. Would need picking up from the Dronfield area likely on Friday evening, as I'm running a one-day festival on Saturday. They're SpeakOn input, so I'd send a couple of connectors so someone can make up a cable.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#13 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by Ali Tait »

pre65 wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 am My Beresford Caiman SEG has a 1/4" headphone socket and volume control if that helps ?

I just tried it with my Fred Flintstone era Koss headphones, sounds nice but not too loud even at full volume.
The gain is variable Phil, if you prise the volume knob off ( work your way round it with a food knife- it’s stubborn the first time) there is a small pot behind which you can set t suit.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#14 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

Well I never !

Thanks Ali. :D

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#15 Re: Owston 2018 - What Are You Bringing?

Post by pre65 »

World Designs Pre3, Phono3 & Psu3.

GK71 monoblocks.

Cambridge Audio CXC CD transport.

Beresford Caiman SEG + DIY 15v PSU

Selection of really interesting CDs ( :lol: )

Still thinking about the baffles.

Edmund Burke