Nothing In Particular

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#9346 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

I was in infants school in 1963 but can still remember playing with my Lego Christmas present on the dining room table whilst outside it just kept snowing and snowing.

Those were the days before central heating and double glazing and mum told us about how they scraped the ice off the inside of the windows and put us to bed with all the coats spread on top of the bedding.

There's a look back documentary on youtube;

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#9347 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ray P »

It's not snowing this morning, though the clouds still look very laden. Its difficult to say how much snow has fallen since yesterday afternoon as there's been a lot of drifting; in some places it looks several feet deep but a lot of roofs have no snow on them.

Anyway, this part of the world is at a complete standstill this morning and my workplace is closed so I'm supposed to 'endeavour' to home work. First though, I'll clip my YakTrax on and go and explore for a little while.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
ed
retired

#9348 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

Ha!..seems like my little joke about moaning earlier has backfired.

the central heating boiler decided to complain this morning and failed. It's brand new(well 18 months old) so I have no good things to say about Baxi at the moment. Ironically it replaced a 1984 ideal boiler and I mentioned to the fitter when he was installing the Baxi whether it would last as long as the Ideal. We inherited the Ideal when we mobed in 2001 and until it was replaced we hadn't had it serviced...seems they don't build them like that any more.

There is no documentation online to say what the error code is for...I guess they're a precious bunch these gas fitters. What documentation there is doesn't even say what the lights are for...go figure...maybe it's a protectionist industry now...

cue Paul to tell us the dangers of knowing too much about these things...but if you're in Hull Paul, I'll make you a cup of tea :)

it's currently just under 12 degrees in the house so I'm moaning now...
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9349 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

It's no fun being cold. :(

Have you no electric fan heaters ? Expensive to run long term, but staying warm is essential, even if only in one room.

I'll refrain from banging on about regular servicing and service contracts. :wink:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#9350 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Nick »

Try warm water over the condensing outlet pipe?
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9351 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by pre65 »

My local weather forecast is changing quite often. Seems we are now due for hailstones at 14:00, 99% probability.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#9352 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by ed »

You're right on the money I beleive...

I called the installer cos it's still under guarantee and told him the light sequence(just like a post) and he's sending me an email with instructions on how to fix it...he said it's very likely the condensing pipe is blocked...I await his email.

Why don't they run these condensing pipes inside, to avoid freezing?

edit: fire in the hole!
we're back on, no more moaning
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9353 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Phew ! Grim day to be without heating.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9354 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Just come back from Warrington , stairlift in my mum's house fitted. Not much snow there, a bit in the gardens and fields, cold wind, but roads fine. Drove back to Wales just now, snow started at Queensferry just around the border, then over the high part of the A55 it was a blizzard with less than 2 lanes clear, this more or less same to St. Asaph . Then main road from there to Denbigh was white , with snowdrifts from the fields that had been ploughed-off at some point. Back at house had to rev engine a bit to get into the yard as there was 3 1/2" of new snow. Different world !
Ant
Shed dweller

#9355 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Ant »

Its about gone here now, was about 4" deep yesterday morning. Not sure if its supposed to be back over the weekend for this area, still haven't seen the bin men though even though the roads are pretty much clear now.
Its the paths that are treacherous at the moment as the compacted snow has melted abit on the top and frozen so they are like skating rinks.
I have an elderly lady next door, she couldn't get down her path this morning to go to the doctors so i rang them for her, rescheduled the appointment and cleared the path and pavement so she could get out to a taxi later to take her.
Told her to tell me next time so I could sort things for her, apparently she didn't want to be a bother. Told her to stop being daft and that it was no bother :shock:
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9356 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by IslandPink »

Just like my mum - "I don't want to be a burden to anyone" .
Baggy Trousers
User

#9357 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Baggy Trousers »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:55 pm Just like my mum - "I don't want to be a burden to anyone" .
I'd love to be a burden but no-one will take me on . . . . :(
Last of the late brakers.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#9358 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by simon »

Raining here this morning as it's now above freezing. Snow's starting to go.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#9359 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by jack »

simon wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:24 am Raining here this morning as it's now above freezing. Snow's starting to go.
Rained here at the weekend (Friday) - we were shocked - it's very very welcome but has a tendency to "run off" as drainage here is poor. Up in the mountains where we were is really dangerous as there are a load of flash floods and the wadis can go from completely dry to 5ft deep roaring torrents in just a few minutes.

Rainfall here has been bad for years - this is causing major major issues - the underground aquifers are becoming brackish as salt water from the coast is encroaching into the chalk (almost all limestone here) as the fresh water pressure from rainfall on the mountains drops - this in turn is causing coastal soil to become saline, killing the date palms. It's irreversible

Last weekend we drove the coast road from Dibba (in the South of Musandam, Oman) down to Kalba (in the Emirate of Sharjah) - we saw literally 1,000s of dead and dying palms. Very sad.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Michael L
Old Hand

#9360 Re: Nothing In Particular

Post by Michael L »

We made it to Madeira on Friday. Boarding the plane involved a long time queueing in the icy wind for the one set of steps provided. Mrs L and I wouldn’t have looked out of place on the moors but one bloke was in short shirt sleeves. I think he must have been one of those ‘northerners’ :)
All the Levadas are closed here due to the wind sadly. We paid an insurance supplement for hiking up our 2000M but anyway it’s frequently sunny and warm in Funchal so not complaining.