The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
shane
Social outcast

#46 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by shane »

That’s what a motor bike’s supposed to look like.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Nick
Site Admin

#47 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Very nice, but I bet it suffers from the same in-line engine problems the Sunbeam used to have of the rear cylinders overheating.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
steve s
Shed dweller

#48 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

I don't think they much in the way of issues Nick
22 hp for a 750 is on the lines of my WLC, so nothing is really stressed. I'm sure baggy will go us the rundown..
I remember reading about them in classic bike in the mid 90's..
Ohc and teles were quite something in the 30's but I would say that's a 50's ...
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Nick
Site Admin

#49 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

steve s wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm I don't think they much in the way of issues Nick
I dont know about them, but Sunbeams certainly did (Kaye used to have a S8), that and the sump being too small so there was not sufficient oil supply.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#50 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Ali Tait »

Dave the bass wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 am
ed wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:03 am
so what is the collective noun for lots of Scotts?
Ali's.

:)
:mrgreen:
Baggy Trousers
User

#51 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Well spotted, Steve. A Type C Nimbus from 1949. I think there are about 10 Nimbae in the country.

Actually, the forks don't give much away re the date because Fisker and Neilsen who manufactured the machine were the first in production with telescopic forks, before BMW who incorrectly claim to be the first with the R12. Nimbus fitted these as standard from 1934. The back end is rigid but the bike is surprisingly comfortable to ride, thanks to the thick rubber bands suspending the seat. In any event, rigid frames handle a lot better than the plungers which came after them. Incidentally, the Type A Nimbus had trailing arm sprung rear suspension in 1919. Nimbus produced machines of advanced design for their day and of an unusually high quality. Balthazar has the higher (!) powered engine of 22hp @ 4500rpm and the 4:1 final drive ratio but as has been observed, this swept volume represents a very low level of stress from 750cc. For this reason, the engine does not suffer the thermal problems experienced with the early Square Four or the S7/S8 (and it is infinitely smoother than Erling Poppe's none-too-successful creation). Also as a consequence of the low power output, performance is hardly electrifying - max cruise is 50mph - but there's no shortage of torque which means that the bike goes uphill at the same speed as downhill. Despite its limited performance, it is capable of surprisingly good point to point times. There's plenty of these machines to be seen on YouTube - have a look; you'll understand the considerable appeal of these very individual bikes, the specification of which was virtually unchanged until they went out of production in 1959.

If I wish to travel fast, I can take this

For some reason beyond the extent of my knowledge of such things, I no longer seem able to add attachments. The picture was meant to be of my rather special 1957 VH Ariel at speed through the corner at Creg ny Baar. I'll post that when I work out how to. :?
Last edited by Baggy Trousers on Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#52 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:03 pm I dont know about them, but Sunbeams certainly did (Kaye used to have a S8), that and the sump being too small so there was not sufficient oil supply.
About 20 ago I looked into possibly buying an S8, there was one in the Motorcycle museum at Birmingham and I fell in luv with it instantly. I discovered there was/is a company called Stewart Engineering that do lots of parts for S7's and S8's. They did a guide for maintaining and buying them which I bought. In it I remember reading about the small sump and how they make and recommend a bigger sump to increase Oil capacity in addition to the importance of having the correct oil oil in the rear worm drive gear box.

The price of the spares scared me off back then and probably would still.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Nick
Site Admin

#53 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Nick »

Oh yes, I remember the name Stewart Eng now, and I had forgotten that they eat the worm drive as well. They have so much to commend them :-)

Actually they were rather nice things, if I remember Kaye's was called Doris. I did feel somewhat out of place going to a Sunbeam rally on a Ducati though.
ed
retired

#54 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by ed »

I've just had a memory jog....sometime back, somebody(may have been Baggy) posted a link to a film about a frantic dash to catch a ferry in Denmark. The bike in question was a Nimbus.....

I'm sure if my memory still worked I'd be formidable, or dangerous, or both
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Baggy Trousers
User

#55 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

ed wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:30 pm I've just had a memory jog....sometime back, somebody(may have been Baggy) posted a link to a film about a frantic dash to catch a ferry in Denmark. The bike in question was a Nimbus.....

I'm sure if my memory still worked I'd be formidable, or dangerous, or both
It wasn't me 'cos I'm unable to attach these things but I am familiar with the film which took a lot of license with the actuality of Nimbus performance.

You may remember the rider boasting to the petrol pump man that he'd been doing 120km/h with two up. Rubbish! That speed could never be obtained with a pillion - you'd be lucky to get it solo - and I have never been brave (or stupid) enough to try. These engines will last almost indefinitely if used sympathetically but abuse them and they don't last long. An overhaul costs around £4,000 so I stick to my 50mph. :bounce:
Last of the late brakers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#56 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Mike H »

Luv the story Dave. :D

Reminds me years ago how all the Yugoslavs turned up at a FIM rally in Switzerland on mopeds, 'cause that's all you could get in Yugoslavia at the time.

@ Thomas I also had a Meriden 705 Bonnie, 1978, basically OK but I then went & traded it in for a special limited edition version, which was a "Friday afternoon bike" :shock:

-

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Baggy Trousers
User

#57 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Baggy Trousers »

Baggy Trousers wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:14 pm
If I wish to travel fast, I can take this

For some reason beyond the extent of my knowledge of such things, I no longer seem able to add attachments. The picture was meant to be of my rather special 1957 VH Ariel at speed through the corner at Creg ny Baar. I'll post that when I work out how to. :?
Still haven't got it right and can't find picture anyway but here is the Ariel having a rest on the IoM.

Attachments
DSCN0891.JPG
Last of the late brakers.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#58 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by pre65 »

I can't remember what year my VH was, but it looked just like Baggos but was Ariel red with a tan seat, so a real Red Hunter. :wink:

It was green, and loosely assembled, when purchased, but I had all the bits re-sprayed red before rebuilding.

I also had a Honda VF750FD at the time (chain driven swiss cheese cams) and enjoyed riding them both.

Baggo, do I spy a Mikuni carb on the VH ? :shock: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#59 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by steve s »

In the early 90's I had an Ariel threesome....
An huntmaster in export colours, red and black, bought in maroon, bought a tin of maroon paint then found from the factory records it had been made in export colours.. it did look good in red and black..
An arrow which never actually got completed it was swapped for a vw Beatle
And an Ariel 3 moped,
The mid 90's there were 10 bikes in the garage.. i parted with quite a few and said thats to many, never again
There's 8 and the old car now?

This week I've been working on the s90, the engine is now unseized and completely stripped.
got new rings and gaskets so ready to put it back together
The front end has been stripped and cleaned bearings greased and new fork oil. New handle bars, it took a while to cut the holes and throttle slots. Seat recovered. Back end cleaned up frame cleaned. Tank cleaned. Waiting for new petrol tap, indicators, and need the clutch bracket alloy welding back on.
There was loads of minor things that have been repaired on they way. The paint work is original I'm planning on just touching up the chips and scratches, but I'll see how that works out

Should be nearly done next weekend
Then I need an mot and get it registered as its an import that will take some time
I may put the little c110, that's also in bits on hold and get the Goldie started on next month
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#60 Re: The Audio-Talk Motorcycling thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Can we have piccies while you're doing it SteveS? Piccies is good.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"