I got a job

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#76 Re: I got a job

Post by jack »

Paul Barker wrote:I thought youd gone there to work? Stop all this larking about.
:) Wasn't my best day so far...

Yesterday was part of our weekend and I'll be at work tomorrow, like everyone else here, whilst you are lounging about doing sod all !

The actual job is really good. Couple of the team have resigned so I'm recruiting - flew one of my old team from London over last night with his family. Take them out for dinner tonight and interviews tomorrow...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#77 Re: I got a job

Post by Mike H »

Alarms and excursions! :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#78 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

Seems lame but I was recently head hunted to got to Falklands for tax free income service and repairing British Army oil boilers.

Didnt bother.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#79 Re: I got a job

Post by jack »

New Year and all that - Paul - that offer in the Falklands - do you ever regret not taking it?

I only ask as one of the best bits of advice I ever got was around never wanting to look back later on in life and wonder "if only..."... however...

Out of uni, with a fresh degree in EE and a deep interest in travel(*), I applied to the BAS (British Antarctic Survey) for a land-based role that would have hopefully meant having a winter or two in Antarctica. Basically, I needed a job and thought that BAS were a really interesting possibility...

I was accepted, but not for the role I was after - I was offered a radio/electronics officer role on the supply ship (RRS John Biscoe or Bransfield - can't remember which). To my regret now, I turned the offer down, probably because I didn't think through the possibilities more. Maybe I was a bit petulant at not getting the land job. Don't know.

I sometimes wonder where life would had led me had I taken that fork in the road... not that I've any complaints, but might have been a bit more exciting... (**)

(*) Due to my father's job (an academic lawyer), as a small child we lived in several countries so got used to upping sticks and moving at short notice.
RRS = Royal Research Ship - I always somehow loved those initials - they're so neat!
(**) But would probably have not met my lovely wife, had our kids, etc. etc.
cressy
Shed dweller

#80 Re: I got a job

Post by cressy »

One i do regret not taking was an offer from bae systems based at Doncaster airport as an apprentice aircraft engineer on jets back in 2012. At the time I had another offer that looked more stable.

Turned out not to be, but by the time this was revealed the offer had gone and I ended up back to square one.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, I was probably silly not to snap it up, but trying to provide for the family was a more sensible course of action at the time even though it wasn't to be.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#81 Re: I got a job

Post by Paul Barker »

jack wrote:New Year and all that - Paul - that offer in the Falklands - do you ever regret not taking it?

I only ask as one of the best bits of advice I ever got was around never wanting to look back later on in life and wonder "if only..."... however...

Out of uni, with a fresh degree in EE and a deep interest in travel(*), I applied to the BAS (British Antarctic Survey) for a land-based role that would have hopefully meant having a winter or two in Antarctica. Basically, I needed a job and thought that BAS were a really interesting possibility...

I was accepted, but not for the role I was after - I was offered a radio/electronics officer role on the supply ship (RRS John Biscoe or Bransfield - can't remember which). To my regret now, I turned the offer down, probably because I didn't think through the possibilities more. Maybe I was a bit petulant at not getting the land job. Don't know.

I sometimes wonder where life would had led me had I taken that fork in the road... not that I've any complaints, but might have been a bit more exciting... (**)

(*) Due to my father's job (an academic lawyer), as a small child we lived in several countries so got used to upping sticks and moving at short notice.
RRS = Royal Research Ship - I always somehow loved those initials - they're so neat!
(**) But would probably have not met my lovely wife, had our kids, etc. etc.
No dont regret it. Also I don't subscribe to the ideas about whta might hvae happened. I know for sure if I had done things differently in the pats I would have ended up in the same or worse mess just as likely as to have done better. I look forward.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#82 Re: I got a job

Post by jack »

"Look forward, not down or back", was a mantra I was bought up with. Understand that completely.

Forks in the road are always interesting though.