Music Streaming for Teenager (and SB Touch)

I think we all know by now what this section is for.
little eddy
Old Hand

#1 Music Streaming for Teenager (and SB Touch)

Post by little eddy »

Just made the 'Cheap as Chips' amp for my daughter with some bookshelf speakers but have overlooked somewhat what and how she would feed it. Hardwired is the only option at the moment through the two RCAs.

I had initially thought of a bluetooth audio adapter (one ordered from China for less than £3 but other branded ones available) but when browsing, believe that sonically these are no way as good as wi-fi adapters.

I have seen something like the Google Chromecast Audio adapter I think from £25. Not only do I think it could access stuff on the NAS drive, she could use Spotify/Deezer/Google Play Music from her android phone or tablet?

Has anyone used the Google Chromecast Audio adapter and if so what do you think? Or are there other budget alternatives equally as good?

What would you recommend in terms of apps - I assume there are loads to stream radio for free, and she could get free playlists from Deezer?

My only concern is that if I do end up subscribing to one of the above Spotify/Deezer services, it would be nice to be able to use this on my Squeezebox Touch but have read that Spotify is not very good if not useless with the Touch. I have the non-subscriotion Deezer playing on my Touch and this seems fine so does anyone have a view as to the best streaming service for use with the Touch now that it is not supported?

Thanks.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Music Streaming for Teenager (and SB Touch)

Post by The Stratmangler »

In my experience Spotify works fine with the Touch.
I will add that I don't use the embedded server in the Touch - I have LMS running and use the Triode plugin.
If you're using the embedded server and connecting via www.mysqueezebox.com then I can't vouch for it, and I have heard of folk having problems with it.
Chris :happy3:
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#3 Re: Music Streaming for Teenager (and SB Touch)

Post by Ray P »

To keep it cheap but simple, flexible and reasonable SQ I would go with the Chromecast Audio device coupled with BubbleUPnP from the the Google Play store;

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... p&hl=en_GB

If your NAS has UPnP/DLNA option that will provide a music library or, alternatively, the smartphone can act as the library device.

For Spotify and the like there's information out there (sorry, although I use BubbleUPnP I don't use any of those services).

http://repo.xposed.info/module/com.bubb ... bubbleupnp

Ray
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
little eddy
Old Hand

#4 Re: Music Streaming for Teenager (and SB Touch)

Post by little eddy »

I loaded Google Music manager onto my computer and managed to upload flac music files from my NAS to 'my Google Music cloud'. So can now upload anything we have for the daughter to her account and she can access them anywhere she has Wi-Fi.

So sounds like the Chromecast will be a good way of getting these to her new stereo.

Thanks for the advice.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
little eddy
Old Hand

#5 Re: Music Streaming for Teenager (and SB Touch)

Post by little eddy »

One of these just arrived: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Bluetooth ... SwT6pV0zJH

Works no problem. Will wait to pass judgement on the sound quality but great from a convenience POV. There are others from just £1.40 delivered - amazing price really.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#6 Re: Music Streaming for Teenager (and SB Touch)

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!