NEC External CD drive

Dedicated to the silver disk spinner
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#1 NEC External CD drive

Post by pre65 »

Hi-has anyone any experience of the NEC external CD reader model

Multispin 6XE CDR-602 ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Smithy
New User

Post by Smithy »

Just found this Forum,I use a 602 as a transport ,the caddy useage and controls both being a bit of a pain.They are dead cheap if you can find them though,make sure caddies are included.Lots of people seem to modify them successfully but I tend to use my Teac p700 instead for convenience.I ran mine into a D Shek Nosdac to make a cheap and cheerfull combination ,I havent tried it into a better DAC yet.You cant go too far wrong as they normally only go for about £15,dont go for the 3X or 4x versions as they have different ouputs.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi Smithy-i also use a Shek NOS DAC with my CD players,although i made up a switched mode power supply for it which i thought was an improvement.

As regards the multispin,they crop up quite cheap in USA (e-bay) but the freight charges kill the deal.

There is a chap on the "other" forum who is supposed to be sorting one out for me but he's gone "quiet" about it and i don't like to keep pestering him.

If anyone sees one for sale (with at least one caddy) i would like to know please.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by pre65 »

Hi-the NEC CDR-602 duo came today (12.30) and they both look like new units.

Quickly plugged one in and attached the Shek DAC,shoved a disc in the caddie and away we go.

I am pleased with what i hear,not a night and day difference but an improvement none the less.

The controls are limited,and the caddy a bit fiddly but i think its a step forward.Can't wait for the new DAC now. :lol:

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n146 ... CDR602.jpg

Edmund Burke