Ultra-low noise regulator

For the three and more legged things
shane
Social outcast

#1 Ultra-low noise regulator

Post by shane »

A thread's just popped up on that new Audio Standard place about a new voltage regulator chip. I don't understand the finer details, but I thought it might be of interest:

http://theaudiostandard.net/thread/531/ ... -regulator
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

Post by Paul Barker »

thanks.

My dyslexic eye sight got so confused by the visuals on that forum I might never post again.

Very modern flashy and capable. But completely useless for dyslexia, which is very much a visual issue.

this here forum right here is a hundred times more dyslexic friendly.

Simple is best.

It is probably the dyslexia and the associated syndromes which limit me to hiding here most of the time anyway. but so far, that forum is off to a bad start. Almost fell asleep trying to find anything of interest, but probably couldn't stand the visuals long enough to give it a fair chance.

Please keep linking anything of interest and I will take a look.

Ref the gadjet. I would need one mounted on a board. as I see there is a development board.

No doubt in no time at all there will be a plethora of them on eBay.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by jack »

TI do all their development boards at a silly low cost - basically they are loss-leaders - the MSP-430 stuff I've been doing recently is an example - you get a full USB Ice, uPower hardware analytics, target platform device and all development s/w + a shed load of documentation and free support, plus free shipping by UPS from the States... for...

USD 24. All in. (incl. all taxes and free airfreight from the USA).

http://www.ti.com/tool/msp-exp430fr5969

This is absolutely excellent for people like me who do a lot of their development work on a laptop on a train/plane etc.

I can investigate new chips/whatever for peanuts,

Back to the OP - this is a nice device - the trend in most audio forums is to stick with the tried & tested, i.e. be very conservative, but in recent years a plethora of new chips have been turned out with amazing price/performance. It worth regularly wandering through the sites of TI, AD, Maxim, LT, NXP etc. etc. to see what's turned up. Not just in the audio arena - new areas such as LED lighting and IoT have pushed the boundaries for SMPS design, drivers, 6Lopan etc. too...

EDIT: The MSP430 device I'm playing with is a truly lovely chip - the MSP430FR5969 is going to be my "goto" uP now,,,
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Paul Barker wrote:thanks.

My dyslexic eye sight got so confused by the visuals on that forum I might never post again.

Very modern flashy and capable. But completely useless for dyslexia, which is very much a visual issue.
Blimey yes. :shock:

Very pretty and arty-farty, in that context I like it a lot, but only as an advert or summat like that.

But what moron thought peeps could be staring at small white text on a blue background all day; plain black on white is bad enough after a few hours. In terms of computer etc. screen displays, that is. Having a very different effect on the eyes than actual white paper.

Could've been much worse, could've been red text!! That would turn your eyeballs inside out Image

Having studied graphic design, I know you have to be careful sometimes with certain colour combinations.

There is even such a thing as the 'psychology of colours', like red is attention grabbing ("SALE NOW ON" kind of thing), quite often in combination with white or yellow; solid black is 'repulsive'; black and yellow can look too much like wasps or bees; blue is 'professional' (business, e.g. solicitors, medical); trustworthy, clean (e.g. hygene products). Green in certain contexts can suggest something mouldy or rotten, for example do not use on packaging for medical products. And that's only the tip of the iceberg I'm sure.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Phil decided to try using a much bigger font in yellow, but they got a bit shirty with him and made him change it back. Shame.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Phil decided to try using a much bigger font in yellow, but they got a bit shirty with him and made him change it back. Shame.
shane
Social outcast

Post by shane »

Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

Post by Mike H »

Image ...!

Oh-kay, so "they" own the forum, but sheesh...

Sorry forgot to add earlier, as for the actual regulator, I couldn't be asked any more TBH after looking at the first link. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."