ESS AMT1

Dedicated to those large boxes at one end of the room
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 ESS AMT1

Post by andrew Ivimey »

As some of you will remember from a previous Witham 'do', I have a, well not exactly, pair of ESS AMT speakers. They were originally AMT1Bs with paper coned bass units and the outstanding and marvellous Heil Grand Master 'Air Motion Transformers'. (In England these speakers are as rare as something not quite a rare as Hen's Teeth, but in that sort of region)

On eBay in the US these speakers quite common and dead cheap for their sheer quality if you are up to resurrounding the bass units and the passives. Heil AMTs can have new ribbons fitted and I've done that to my other pair. It really is quite easy! All spares are available from several dealers in the US.

Like my other pair, the Witham AMTs had new crossover units, the design scrounged from a chap in Germany who has successfully designed 1E crossovers and had the distribution rights for ESS before the company in Sacramento ceased trading.

I have finally resurrounded the passives, so they are 'matched' and the speakers sound superb! They used to sound worryingly not so good for although the Heils are splendid there was something strangely not right about the bass units. All is fixed!

Now the Mangers are something else. I have persevered with trying to wed the Mangers with Kef B139s. I think I have a 'little more' work to do.
I can't see me getting round to OBs but the Mangers would probably do well in such a setup.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Are you taking them the the upcoming Witham?
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It's a thought Ali, when I brought them up before I also brought two or three amplifiers. Amplifiers are so much easier! I have a bad back (this began oddly, just before the first EggFest), so much so that I have been talked into going for Physiotherapy. I hurt my back again at Witham and I am sort of resigned to needing help other than Pharmocological to get me better.

All this stuff, turntable through to spekers is so bloody heavy!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Amplifiers easy?? I'll get you to carry Nick's GM70 next time then... :)
andrew Ivimey

Post by andrew Ivimey »

GM70 ... I've been there.

My Ongaku I don't like at all.

The Rankin 'baby ongaku' is too much because I used silver wound amorphous AE transformers. I can hardly lift the dam'thing.

But speakers are the worst.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

Post by simon »

I used to think my old Linn Keilidhs and Exposure amps were pretty heavy.

But single ended valve amps and large full range horns are a different ball game. Now I'm starting to think of my hi fi to be a little like a Land Rover. It's incredibly heavy, is rather large, looks kind of functional (which the missus doesn't particularly like), and if I ever move it I need a full tool kit to get it working...

Real men build valve amplifiers. :D
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

When I build something it takes my back two weeks to recover.[/i]
Ali Tait
Eternally single

Post by Ali Tait »

Ok Andrew am with you now.Just carried a pair of Technics SB-7000 speakers up the stairs.38kg each! Got them for a song tho.It's not the weight,it's the size....
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

When I build something it takes my back two weeks to recover
Having lifted a (full) storage heater into the back of a van yesterday I can only agree :-).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Paul Barker

Post by Paul Barker »

we take out the fire bricks.
Nick
Site Admin

Post by Nick »

we take out the fire bricks.
Yep, thats what I did once I go it home, however it was sitting with the bricks in waiting to be picked up :-(
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.