I got a job today

Subjects that don't have their own home
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#1 I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

Just had the phone call, it’s a maintenance firm. I’ve got the job! so happy, the man who swung it is an ex bg manager in new firm whose buddies with a senior man at British Gas who I worked with. On that contact’s affirmation of my skills I’ve got a job on the strength of two phone calls. No interview no application forms. No dyslexia ruining my chances. Start date tba probs mid August. There are four others (who’ve all had to pass interviews) starting so it has to be organised yet taking into account their timings aswell as mine I’m so happy we needed this.

My posts should improve in mood ....
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: I got a job today

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:40 pm Just had the phone call, it’s a maintenance firm. I’ve got the job! so happy, the man who swung it is an ex bg manager in new firm whose buddies with a senior man at British Gas who I worked with. On that contact’s affirmation of my skills I’ve got a job on the strength of two phone calls. No interview no application forms. No dyslexia ruining my chances. Start date tba probs mid August. There are four others (who’ve all had to pass interviews) starting so it has to be organised yet taking into account their timings aswell as mine I’m so happy we needed this.

My posts should improve in mood ....
Very well done Paul, I'm so pleased for you. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
JamesD
Old Hand

#3 Re: I got a job today

Post by JamesD »

Well done! The older one gets the more important one's work 'network' is!

Hope its all you hope for.

J.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#4 Re: I got a job today

Post by Ali Tait »

Well done Paul, good news. Similar story to me, only ever had two formal interviews, rest were just phone calls.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#5 Re: I got a job today

Post by Ray P »

Good news :D
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey

#6 Re: I got a job today

Post by andrew Ivimey »

What they said. Hope it goes well!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Paul Barker

#7 Re: I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks all.Yes Alli Ive had two other job offers that way in life, the one from a guy I once worked with became chief of district heating in London and asked me to take a supervisors roll. I didn’t want to come away from Yorkshire for a permanent job. Dont regret passing that bye, I’m not really supervisor material. I’m a tools man and only happy on the tools. The job I got with Liberty Gas group, just banter with a couple of guys that worked for them, the job was offered. Thing is Ali you probably know, the new blood hasn’t got a chance of the right experience, they’ll have to reinvent the wheel and develop without senior colleagues. So when someone with good amount of the right experience has already matured, his value is desired, as its now few and far between. Every previous bg colleagues that I’ve worked with are now retired off early. Only young blood left and a mountain to climb because the guys my age are gone.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#8 Re: I got a job today

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes agreed Paul, it’s happening everywhere, been saying for years that there need to be more opportunities for young people in industry. At least the regional electricity companies still run apprentice programs, so that’s something at least.
steve s
Shed dweller

#9 Re: I got a job today

Post by steve s »

Great news paul.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#10 Re: I got a job today

Post by jack »

Wot they said. Really pleased for you!
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#11 Re: I got a job today

Post by Cressy Snr »

Yes, that’s good news.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#12 Re: I got a job today

Post by IslandPink »

Nice one, Paul !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Paul Barker

#13 Re: I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

Thanks all.
Paul Barker

#14 Re: I got a job today

Post by Paul Barker »

Tis job is in the bank, start date 17th August.

a few months ago I applied for a job through Indeed, Northern Gas Network looking for a Scarborough based operative. Network rang me today “We’re looking closely at you’re CV, How much notice do you need?”

That would be better paid and better prospects. Iv’e held the Emergency Service Provider qualification previously for a job then’ but the firm offering the job lost the contract before I was taken on.

So I’m more comfortable, have a new job starting 17th August, might have to servce notice soon after. Cant tell them until I know I have Gas Grid job.

About time!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#15 Re: I got a job today

Post by jack »

Like busses! Nothing, then a load come along!

Good news...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt