Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Subjects that don't have their own home
JohnG
Old Hand

#1 Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by JohnG »

With the Lock Down still effecting the amount of Industrial Activity that is in place, there has been reports on how the National Grids in Countries are for want of a better description Idling Along in their usage.

This has 'Potentially' been making a very good quality power, above average power supply available to the average home, that to most will not be recognisable.
To a Audio Enthusiast who is listening regularly to their systems, these unprecedented times, 'may' be allowing them to be experiencing their systems SQ in a manner that would not usually be available unless a expensive mains conditioning device was put into service.
It will be off interest to see if there are reports from individuals who are listening abundantly during the Lock Down of Noticeable Changes in SQ to their systems when the National Grid Goes back to full usage capacity.

Additionally, the Link is another description as to why there 'may' be a noticeable changes to the SQ of a system when the Lock Down is over.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00965-x

Whether the above are proven or not, I am certainly compelled to spending more time listening to my system.
I am usually a Autumn/Winter regular listener, and infrequently listen during the Spring/Summer.
I am happily doing a few hours a week at present, and regularly think of a Album to be listened to.
Is this a new attitude a result of the Power Supply available during the Lock Down ??
I know one thing for sure it is not because of having idle time, as there has been none during the usual working hours, as I inherited a Furloughed Teams Work.

I am Glad this change in habit has taken place this year, and feel that the above 'might' just be a little bit responsible, along with a few impressions made with some new Devices.

The above conditions are 'probably' going to prove to be the only time in my life it has been this good for having a daily available Natural Positive Impact on how a System Performs, so I and my wife are making the most of our shared time and the musical encounters being put into place.
Nick
Site Admin

#2 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by Nick »

I am not clear why a reduction in grid production would lead to better quality. The producers only ever produce what’s needed. I guess it would depend on where the distortion and noise on the supply comes from. If its industrial use then I could see it being lower, but if its home use then it could be higher.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by pre65 »

I'm in a rural area with no obvious industry (light or heavy) so I would not expect my mains to be unduly polluted at any time. I tried a BMU once and it seemed to make no difference at any time of day.

I understood that the National Grid matched power output to demand, infact, even using TV listings magazines to anticipate demand ?

Even though industrial demand may have diminished I would guess that home demand had increased.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
JamesD
Old Hand

#4 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by JamesD »

Here is the national grids monitoring page with high level usage stats. It shows generation down something over 20%

http://grid.iamkate.com/
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by Nick »

Measuring, looks as bad as ever in terms of distortion.
Attachments
Mains-dist.jpg
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
JamesD
Old Hand

#6 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by JamesD »

I'm amazed at the numbers of the higher order harmonics given how the power is generated by rotary generators... shows how 'nasty' a lot of the loads are...
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#7 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:42 am I am not clear why a reduction in grid production would lead to better quality. The producers only ever produce what’s needed. I guess it would depend on where the distortion and noise on the supply comes from. If its industrial use then I could see it being lower, but if its home use then it could be higher.
less industrial consumption = less industrial polution of the line! less phase shifts as motors not starting less noise injected etc.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by IslandPink »

Fascinating graph, Nick. Lots of 5th/7th/9th !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Nick
Site Admin

#9 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by Nick »

Paul Barker wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:13 pm
Nick wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:42 am I am not clear why a reduction in grid production would lead to better quality. The producers only ever produce what’s needed. I guess it would depend on where the distortion and noise on the supply comes from. If its industrial use then I could see it being lower, but if its home use then it could be higher.
less industrial consumption = less industrial polution of the line! less phase shifts as motors not starting less noise injected etc.
Yep, but my point was that I can imagine industrial use is less now (and with it being Sunday) but actually measuring my mains shows its just about as distorted as ever which would indicate its not industrial pollution that is the cause.
Nick
Site Admin

#10 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by Nick »

JamesD wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 am I'm amazed at the numbers of the higher order harmonics given how the power is generated by rotary generators... shows how 'nasty' a lot of the loads are...
Yep, you can see it on a a scope, looks like the tops of the sine are rounded off.
Nick
Site Admin

#11 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by Nick »

less phase shifts as motors not starting
Yep, but is that going to be seen on a single phase from the three?
Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by Nick »

I'm amazed at the numbers of the higher order harmonics given how the power is generated by rotary generators
That's got me thinking. I wonder how much of it is generated by rotary generators now instead of inverters. I would expect all solar and wind is generated by electronics now as is the feeds that come from HVDC.
JamesD
Old Hand

#13 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by JamesD »

Damn good point!!!

The national grid is showing 40% of power being generated by solar or wind at present so almost half through electronics rather than just electrics...
JohnG
Old Hand

#14 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by JohnG »

Any thoughts on the effects of the reduction in the measured Seismic Energy, as shown in the Link ?
I would like to think lesser measurements in ambient vibration has a positive effect on a Source and the Isolation in use with it that has a dependency on passing on information born from a Vibration.

On a side note, there is Data/Research available that is now being acted on in Scandinavian Countries and maybe some more where Cities are to become Low Noise Zones, and as a initial control Vehicles will require low rumble tyres and there will be other measures being proposed .
The Data/Research shows that constant noise met in Urban Environments is Carcinogenic.

As a Layman, I can only assume it is another stress to be endured by a body and the body reacts adversely to the exposure.
Very few urban dwellers will be able to experience a City/Town as a Quiet Zone as they have been over the past few months, I know through conversations with family and friends living in Greater London, that the quiet on the streets and when commuting that was being met is a pleasing thing to experience.
I really hope that the Benefits of such an environment becomes a desirable commodity,
and the UK Communities takes on measures to find a way to maintain the benefits that are on offer.
chris661
Shed dweller

#15 Re: Lock Down's Effect on the Audio Systems Replay Environment

Post by chris661 »

I probably have a bit of Pro Sound bias going on here, but IMO if your equipment's PSU can't make a clean DC rail from a slightly-messy AC line, then it is faulty and should be fixed/replaced.

Even my old Behringer iNukes worked fine on a squishly supply that dropped to 200v under load.

Ditto regarding vibrations. Sometimes you've got to put the amp rack and mixing desk* just behind the stacks with kilowatts of subwoofer running at full-tilt.
*Remember the mixing desk will be taking in millivolt levels from microphones and applying 40+dB of gain.

While HiFi gear doesn't necessarily need to be as physically rugged as PA equipment, I do think HiFi gear should also be designed to work fine under those conditions.

Chris