Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Subjects that don't have their own home
Michael L
Old Hand

#1 Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by Michael L »

I found a comment from Simon (SJS)
https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/ ... equipment/

(copper)....when used the amp in question sounds markedly better than the same amp built in a chassis of either aluminium or steel. I do not know if this is due to conductivity, EMI screening or vibration damping, or all 3 plus other factors, but it does do the trick.

I wondered if anyone on here had made comparisons and if so, what their observations were.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#2 Re: Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by Paul Barker »

There was a thing going around all along about this, I recall one bloke especially made a big thing of plain veri board yes thank you for you’re findings.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker

#3 Re: Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by Paul Barker »

enough to use wood for structure veriboar to valve bases mounted in, bottom plate veriboard. Line sides. All cross connected. Your ground is the top sheet, attach your various grounds anywhere to you’re veriboards.The guy promoted top board mainly for this wide grounding system as a main focus of his argument.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Michael L
Old Hand

#4 Re: Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by Michael L »

Could I gain anything from lining the inside of a steel cased preamp with copper sheet?
Ant
Shed dweller

#5 Re: Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by Ant »

Probably not, copper provides better shielding than steel, but the steel is still magnetic. Steel provides better shielding than aluminium, but is still magnetic. The benefit of using the copper with steel would probably be minimal
I suppose the best way to go about it would be to use aluminum with copper tape or sheet like Marantz did with things like the cd17, no magnetic properties to the case and better shielding than steel using the copper as a secondary screening material
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#6 Re: Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by Nick »

MuMetal sheet between and insulated from outer and inner copper sheet would be a good way of making it very expensive.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by Nick »

But on the grounds that using a breadboard often sounds best, in many cases Acrylic may be good.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 2:54 pm But on the grounds that using a breadboard often sounds best, in many cases Acrylic may be good.
Like NVA ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#9 Re: Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by Nick »

Yep and others. Though as always I would not like to say one thing is good for everything. The idea of having a MC phono stage in an non shielded case would worry me. Just because it may sound better on a breadboard, doesn't mean that its always the best solution. Reality tends to be complex.
Paul Barker

#10 Re: Copper chassis vs ali or steel

Post by Paul Barker »

Nick wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:22 pmReality tends to be complex.
Yep and everything else is way more complexed to the ones who know enough to know that! Not many of those around in my game, huge amount of ignorance people winging it every day.