Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Subjects that don't have their own home
JohnG
Old Hand

#31 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by JohnG »

Hi Steve, that Bird House is a Avian Ritz, it's got Curb Appeal in Spades 8)
steve s
Shed dweller

#32 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by steve s »

To be honest John our nesting box looks more like the one you linked to.

The main thing it get used.. the trouble is being to kind to the birds invites unwanted guests

We have a local sparrow hawk that loves to help it's self to the larger birds and pigeons I've saved a few birds lives after the hawk had them on the ground by running at it . The last pigeon I saved, half it's feathers where scattered over the lawn but it still had enough to fly off.. it was a lucky sod !
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
JohnG
Old Hand

#33 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by JohnG »

Hi Steve, I have Nesting Little Owl's, and Nesting Kestrel's, plus a Barn Owl spending time around the property.
I know where the Kestrel's Nest is set up, the Little Owl's are more elusive, but last year for a few weeks the whole family were coming out in the Twilight to perform a show for us.
A couple of years prior to that, a fledgling Kestrel, was very interested in my presence, and was landing close to me walking along with me and watching my movements, and then taking to flight and circling me in very close proximity.
I might ??, be able to replicate a similar experience this year, as I am watching the Nesting Parents Daily, so will soon see the Young Ones Getting Braver, I'll spend a bit of time near them and let them get used to my presence,
who knows how one will react when they first leave the nest.
I have Wild Doves in a High Roof Out Building.
My most enjoyed birds are the Hedge Birds, I can sit for hours absorbing their business, they burn endless energy with their acrobatics and food acquiring skills.
Most of these experiences are being had as a result of purposely creating very friendly spaces for nature to have a chance.

I would imagine Sparrow Hawks are to Ornamental Birds, being the equivalent of Foxes to Fowl,
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#34 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by simon »

We had robins nesting in the greenhouse two or three years ago, but they were extremely aggravated by the local sparrow hawk staring at them from a couple of feet away, on the other side of the glass. I went outside to encourage the sparrow hawk to mave on, but he stood his ground for a surprising length of time till I was really quite close.

Taking of nesting boxes has anyone tried putting a camera inside one to see the joys of nature unfold? I guess some kind of WiFi camera would do it, if there's enough signal to reach.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#35 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by Ali Tait »

A few years ago I was sitting in my mum’s back garden- we were having a barbie. Had my back to the neighbours’ fence behind which was a large bush which a flock of sparrows was availing itself of. A sparrow hawk which I’d earlier seen on top of a telegraph pole dove down and straight into the bush, so close it almost parted my hair. I felt the wind of its passage. They are not shy birds..
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by pre65 »

Ali Tait wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:52 pm I felt the wind of its passage. They are not shy birds..
The sparrow hawk farted on your head ? :shock: :lol:
Last edited by pre65 on Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#37 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by shane »

I thought it was harriers that used vectored thrust, not sparrow hawks.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
JohnG
Old Hand

#38 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by JohnG »

Hi Ali,
I wish for all the Days of Sitting in the Back Gardens having a Family Barbie to be restored before the Summer is Gone.
What a great day that will be.
Otherwise if Summer is Missed, Just for sheer hell of being granted a return to Liberty, it will be Overcoat Barbies and too many chefs, all trying to keep warm, if our freedom returns in the Autumn.
All 'Avin a Good Ole Knees Up'.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#39 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by pre65 »

One can still have barbies at home as long as you don't invite non residents.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
shane
Social outcast

#40 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by shane »

simon wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:36 pm
Taking of nesting boxes has anyone tried putting a camera inside one to see the joys of nature unfold? I guess some kind of WiFi camera would do it, if there's enough signal to reach.
Just by chance, this link popped up on my Twitter feed a few minutes ago:

https://nestboxtech.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... -into.html
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#41 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by simon »

Thanks Shane, very interesting. £20 for a camera, a Rpi and some time could be a very interesting experiment.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#42 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by Ali Tait »

pre65 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:55 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:52 pm I felt the wind of its passage. They are not shy birds..
The sparrow hawk farted on your head ? :shock: :lol:
Extra boost.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#43 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by Ray P »

Nice little project, fascinating how you have to work the wood to get the bow shape.

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
JohnG
Old Hand

#44 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by JohnG »

A (That Might Prove Useful) that is a little more complex today.
It might be of interest, where a robust design is wanted, as well as space is desired to be maintained.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/625507835734041224/
JohnG
Old Hand

#45 Re: Simple to achieve Projects ( That Might Prove Useful)

Post by JohnG »

One for the enthusiasts of 'All Things Metallic with Bling Appeal'

The Link shows a Simple to achieve Project, producing a 'Bright Outlook', for the times at present.
Or at worst one can 'Reflect' on things.