what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#706 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I checked my laptop and it's set for weekly optimisation.

If you've got an SSD (solid state drive) defrag is disabled as (so I'm told) SSD drives don't need it.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#707 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

If I need to give a computer a really thorough clean up, I use Privazer, which is free.

https://privazer.com/en/

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#708 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Privateer stripped something from about 20 youTube mp4 files on my hard drive so they would no longer play. Easy enough to find them again but.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#709 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I've been using Privazer for many years, and it's never (as far as I know) given me any problems.

I helped a friend out this morning and used my van to move a rise and fall armchair from a care home in Braintree to one in Cavendish.

Braintree care home made us wash our hands, sanitise our hands and fill in a form, 2 sides of A4.

Cavendish care home just let us in, seemingly no systems at all. :shock:

So now wallowing in complete apathy and lethagistic in the extreme. Can't get motivated to do anything at the moment. :cry:

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#710 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I got fed up with doing nothing, so I turned my attention to the new replacement PCB for my Pre3.

I've inserted PCB pins in the relevant holes, and ordered the resistors from HFC. I went for Takmans in the end, and Elna Silmic 2 for the 470uf 16v capacitors. I already had a couple of Mundorf M cap Evo so I'm going with them for the coupling caps.

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey

#711 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Larks! Care Homes, what can you do!? It cant be easy..... at all.

I've been swabbed every week since..... and then got the anti- body test....they lost my result! Just as I was about to visit the ancient aged pater in his care home. When I arrived they said I must maintain 2 metres... I said, nope! I conferred with the nurse and, as I had my ppe, my own gel, hand wipes, NHS procedures and NHS badge I was allowed to minister unto aged P. Two new hearing aids and a Sonido later my dad emerged happy to be able to communicate again and tired but cheerful, I drove away, another 90 miles home quietly pleased that dear old Dad could hear ( something ) again. What the care home staff really dont get is that you cant lip read with such face coverings in place and just how many people in care homes are hearing impaired.

When I got home and this is for you to chew over if you wish, my anti-body test was negative at the same time as Anna whose test was positive... and we share everything!

Now I'm sipping a pint of Stowfold cider in anticipation of another and a delicious if overpriced fish and chips in a hotel looking out to the Needles. This place was once owned by the Dr Siemens. The sun is setting and both Anna and I will be returning to fight some sort of good fight back in John Bunyan territory on Monday.

Good or bad, I'm using the trick or treat NHS App. Onwards!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
andrew Ivimey

#712 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Ermmmmmm, I suppose what I meant with Privatzer was that although I was initially very impressed and paid a fee too, is that it can still bite one in the arse. That is a touch annoying.

On the whole I think my pc functions better when I dont use any of a myriad of cleaners etc etc etc ( which probably just detect each other and slow things down enormously) stop worrying and get on with using the computer. Accordingly all that ticks away the eternity of the operating system nowadays is Windows' Defender.
So far, so good.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#713 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ali Tait »

Buy a Mac. :D
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#714 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Ali Tait wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:29 pm Buy a Mac. :D
What if one is vegetarian ? :lol:

Edmund Burke

andrew Ivimey

#715 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by andrew Ivimey »

It ain't food but MacDonals claim to do edible veggie things. I'm not convinced.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#716 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ali Tait »

pre65 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:41 pm
Ali Tait wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:29 pm Buy a Mac. :D
What if one is vegetarian ? :lol:
MacBook Air? :D
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#717 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

pre65 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 12:22 pm I checked my laptop and it's set for weekly optimisation.

If you've got an SSD (solid state drive) defrag is disabled as (so I'm told) SSD drives don't need it.
SSDs work in a completely different way to traditional spinning hard disks - the concept of a whole load of consecutive sectors whose order is fixed and whose index is monotonically increasing simply does not apply, plus there is no slow mechanical read/write head travelling between those sectors - it's the inter-track head movement and rotational latency that determines how fast a traditional disk is. The rotational part is fixed at 5800, 7200 or 10,000 rpm; the inter-track part is what's reduced by shuffling sectors around so that head movement is minimised when reading files.

SSDs are obviously completely different - no read/write head and no rotational latency. They also have set-aside lists and wear-levelling plus no real concept of a physical implementation of the equivalent of a spinning disk's platter, i.e. the sectors in the memory of an SSD don't have to be fixed in place - just like the memory management system in Windows/MacOS or Linux, whilst the memory may appear to be contiguous to an external viewer, the physical implementation will be very different due to being remapped in real time.

In summary, there is no way an external defragger can have any effect on an SSD to improve its performance - the whole concept simply doesn't apply.

BUT (there's always a "but"!) the logical implementation of a file system such as FAT, NTFS or EXT3 etc. doesn't know about the underlying physical implementation (SSD or traditional disk) and frankly, doesn't care. These file systems have constraints on their performance due to file fragments - extending a file can reserve a new bunch of sectors on the drive and if this happens a bunch of times, the fragmentation can reach the limits of the file system such that a file can no longer be extended due to its metadata hitting limits.

So, when Windows defragments an SSD, what it's actually doing is tidying up the file system so that files have just one fragment, and thus these limits are never hit; just copying files that have a load of fragments into a pre-extended space will do that - you are not rearranging sectors, you are optimising the file system's metadata. With Windows, this only happens on SSDs if volume snapshots are enabled, and even then only once a month (by default).

See https://www.hanselman.com/blog/TheRealA ... urSSD.aspx
Last edited by jack on Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#718 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

after much sparring with designspark I got some gerber files and am waiting for a response from the Chinese pcb fabricators....
hpa 3d.jpg
I'm not sure it was any easier than drilling paxolin, I will reserve judgement.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#719 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Well i did well
I got through 1 side of an lp i wanted to listen to before having to turn it off. because everyone came in wanting something, moaning about unimportant things, talking to each other at 100db despite being three feet away from each other, rowing over who was going on what computer ect ect ect.
Bloody pointless even trying some days
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
ed
retired

#720 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

Ant wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:40 pm Well i did well
I got through 1 side of an lp i wanted to listen to before having to turn it off. because everyone came in wanting something, moaning about unimportant things, talking to each other at 100db despite being three feet away from each other, rowing over who was going on what computer ect ect ect.
Bloody pointless even trying some days
irony...??
My last post, the one before yours, was about the headphone amp that I'm building because my e30 doesn't have a headphone socket....
Can't you hide in a corner with a pair of headphones, far from the madding crowd?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be