what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#466 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Ant wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:20 pm
Spending.
I need to stop spending, but 'why the heck not' caught up with me...
Indeed, much the same here.

I've majored on bits to get 833a up and running, and storage items to tidy up de hoose. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Nick
Site Admin

#467 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:45 pm wow

playing with this new modem that I've put the new sim into.......it returns the lat and long of the mast it's connected to....

I didn't know they could do that.....
I am guessing that’s how phones do the lower accuracy positioning without GPS.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#468 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Which modem are you using?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#469 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:09 pm Which modem are you using?
sim800L. It's a bit more compact than the sim900 that I'm used to. I have a standalone sim800 as well but I haven't fired it up yet.
esp32-sim800 pinout.jpg
everything I've read indicates this will be a bit less power hungry than the atmels with a sim900. Should give the solar panels an easier ride.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#470 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Interesting - are you using the Arduino libraries for this, or native ESP32/Expressif?
ed
retired

#471 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

jack wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:36 pm Interesting - are you using the Arduino libraries for this, or native ESP32/Expressif?
yes, Arduino libs. I haven't used any of the native Espressif stuff yet.....apart from moaning about the bloat I haven't come up against any obstacles so far. This is the first time I've looked at the gsm side on esp32, to date all my testing has been with the wifi. The only real problem I've had is the wifi swamping the 433mhz receivers I use. The way I've found to get around this is to move the receiver well away from the esp. I'm hoping with the move to the gsm there won't be so much rf annoying the 433mhz....time will tell.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ant
Shed dweller

#472 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

izzy wizzy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:43 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:20 pm Spending.
I need to stop spending, but 'why the heck not' caught up with me...
In the last couple of weeks I've bought the bits and pieces necessary to build the dual motor deck, the air bearing arm, a dv20x2 cart, the eroica cart, a graham slee gram amp phono stage because it was cheap and I fancied trying it out (plus using the switch box to connect all the tts up was causing hum, so having 2 separate phono stages isn't such a bad idea) and now a soundsmith Othello fixed coil cart because I've wanted to try one for a while.
I shall have to rein it in
That's a serious analog addiction thing you got going there and some very nice stuff. Hope you'll tell us what you think of them.
Yes I have a problem....
All I'll say is that I wether them or I dont like them
My audio opinions should be irrelevant to others because it's all system dependant
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#473 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

ed wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:30 pm
jack wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:36 pm Interesting - are you using the Arduino libraries for this, or native ESP32/Expressif?
yes, Arduino libs. I haven't used any of the native Espressif stuff yet.....apart from moaning about the bloat I haven't come up against any obstacles so far. This is the first time I've looked at the gsm side on esp32, to date all my testing has been with the wifi. The only real problem I've had is the wifi swamping the 433mhz receivers I use. The way I've found to get around this is to move the receiver well away from the esp. I'm hoping with the move to the gsm there won't be so much rf annoying the 433mhz....time will tell.
That's such a cute thing that I just ordered one from Banggood. Amazingly cheap for something so powerful & easy to use. I want to play with one!

next question - who is the SIM from?
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#474 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

It's me!

I had a break from the forum over the weekend and had a good think about the situation that boiled over at the end of last week - there were lots of things going on and the reaction to an innocent post I made was the final straw. Participating in this forum is one of my releases and I enjoy the 'company', as it is, so on we go. As Nick alluded, we're not all going to get on all the time and that's actually healthy.

As for sentiments about being in competitions, comparing and contrasting is one of the essences of this hobby but as there are no definitive answers so there can't be any winners or losers so it's a strange sort of competition - if some people don't see it like that perhaps the safe thing for them is to not build anything.

I posted the breadboard Aunt Corey buffer to Ant on Saturday and I know it's now in his grubby little mitts.

Anyway, moving on, I had a day off today and the three day weekend has been very productive with my projects and I've done some good rides so I'll post some updates in the relevant threads.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#475 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Been doing bits and pieces while melting.
I've cut some of the pieces for the new chassis that mi dad asked for, just waiting for a metal company to get back to me about custom sized pieces.... Job stops till then as it will alter dimensions of rebates and stuff...
Oh the wonders of modern communication!

JamesD
Old Hand

#476 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by JamesD »

Today I've been knocking up a rustic planter from pallet wood for my wife's tomato plants. Here it is in an incomplete state...

Dig the supremely stable and sophisticated workbench :oops:
50008784667_577f3b8bac_c.jpg
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#477 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Oh, I thought for a minute you were making a 'rustic platter', now I'm disappointed !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
JamesD
Old Hand

#478 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by JamesD »

Funnily enough I have been thinking about a wooden platter for the Dual EDS1000 motor that I have in store...

The plinth should be straight forward but a wooden platter is quite interesting to think about as it should be quite carefully balanced...
Ant
Shed dweller

#479 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

I could turn one on my lathe as the throw is big enough, balancing it is another matter...

IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#480 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

You just need to get down to your local garage !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"