what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#601 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

this is where them pesky varmints is:
wasps1.jpg
and here's a close up of one climbing in through the gap....
when I took the photo there were about 50-100 flying about but try as I might I couldn't get them in the photo..c'est la vie...
But I'm really not sure what to do about them.
wasps2.jpg
about 2 weeks ago the boss said we've got a leak somewhere, I can hear something dripping..This was in the extension, about where the photo is, but inside...I couldn't hear anything and told her it was in her head......how wrong I was!!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#602 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

Currently doing a clean install of Audiolinux 4.5 on my audio server, followed by an upgrade from HQ Player 3 to HQ Player 4 (I've been using an eval copy for several months).

Linux is getting much easier to install nowadays, booted up ubuntu from a USB stick, download a .gz image run gunzip & dd and job basically done. I've also reconfigured the partitions, mounted a share from the NAS and I'm currently updating HQ Player's library. Just about 2.5hrs elapsed of which well over 50% was waiting for the download.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#603 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:48 pm

Linux is getting much easier to install nowadays, booted up ubuntu from a USB stick, download a .gz image run gunzip & dd and job basically done. I've also reconfigured the partitions, mounted a share from the NAS and I'm currently updating HQ Player's library. Just about 2.5hrs elapsed of which well over 50% was waiting for the download.
For some of us, the above may be less well understood than a Cantonese limerick. :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
steve s
Shed dweller

#604 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by steve s »

We have just realised we have a wasps nest in our bathroom fan outlet, I've been to a local shop and bought a couple of sticky rat catcher papers and some wasp nest powder
Just put loads of the powder up the fan pipe,( the fan is inline so theres about 4 ' of pipe)
Then stuck the rat catcher sheet next to it.. theres about 50 stuck to that in 1/2 hour..
I'll repeat the process tomorrow.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#605 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

steve s wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:09 pm We have just realised we have a wasps nest in our bathroom fan outlet, I've been to a local shop and bought a couple of sticky rat catcher papers and some wasp nest powder
Just put loads of the powder up the fan pipe,( the fan is inline so theres about 4 ' of pipe)
Then stuck the rat catcher sheet next to it.. theres about 50 stuck to that in 1/2 hour..
I'll repeat the process tomorrow.
You really need to find and remove the nest - all the grubs/larvae stink horridly as they rot, and in a fan pipe, might not be so nice :(

That one in the photos that I removed from the roof stank... like musty mouldy rags...
Last edited by jack on Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
steve s
Shed dweller

#606 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by steve s »

Thanks nick.. it will be a big job !
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#607 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I might be a lumberjack soon. :shock:

I've decided to get rid of my front conifer hedge, and my neighbour is keen to remove the hedge between our front gardens. My hedge but he has a tractor/trailer and room to store and burn the remains.

Tomorrow I will dig out my trusty Homelite Super XL Automatic chainsaw, and see if it still works. They are a bit of a "classic" these days but (seemingly) still well regarded. If it starts and runs I might even invest in a new chain.

Only hurdle is the local council, as we are in a conservation area, but I'm fairly sure conifer hedges are fair game.

Edmund Burke

The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#608 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by The Stratmangler »

Chris :happy3:
shane
Social outcast

#609 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:08 pm Only hurdle is the local council, as we are in a conservation area, but I'm fairly sure conifer hedges are fair game.
If these are Leylandii, most conservationists will be glad to see the back of them!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#610 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

shane wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:58 pm
pre65 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 11:08 pm Only hurdle is the local council, as we are in a conservation area, but I'm fairly sure conifer hedges are fair game.
If these are Leylandii, most conservationists will be glad to see the back of them!
In general, as the hedge is mine, and within the property curtilage, there should be no problems. A friend of mine is a "tree man" for Braintree Council so I'm asking his professional opinion when he gets back from a short break.

Edmund Burke

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#611 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Happy with that. Found a bit of scrap plasterboard roughly the right size (in our ex-tenant's bin!), squared up the hole, used dry-walling screws to fix some supporting battens behind and then used scrim tape and some decent filler... looks OK now... my plastering foo needs work though...
Untitled.png
PS. Before anyone (Dave?) gets picky - the small piece of blue decorator's masking tape has been removed...
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#612 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Yes best to check first Phil. I think it's as much as a £10k fine a tree.

We live in a conservation area because of the native tree species, largely oaks. The Council are very protective of them, but the two cupresses we took down weren't an issue.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#613 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I mixed up a little oil/fuel to get the chainsaw going, and after a couple of pulls it fired up, albeit a bit smoky. Getting some proper synthetic 2T oil should cure that.

The bar is "shag*ed" , so I got Googling, and after a bit of a struggle managed to find a new Oregon bar and chain from a dealer in Northern Ireland. £55.15 for the pair delivered, which I thought was reasonable.

Edmund Burke

Ant
Shed dweller

#614 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Just been fitting a reverse osmosis filter under the sink.
Following the crashed fish tank, the missus bought an r/o unit that has 2 sediment filters, a 10 micron then a 5 micron, an activated carbon filter, a reverse osmosis membrane and a d/i pod (a resin that de ionises the water).

Point being, to provide water for the tank thats had everything filtered out of it.
It apparently takes out all dissolved solids and gases, all metals, all organic compounds, viruses, bacteria, you name it, it removes it.
Testing the tds (total dissolved solids) in tap water it reads about 350ppm. Testing the filtered water it reads 0. So it works.

It was a complete pain in the arse to fit it, i ended up taking the water feed off the washing machine feed using a tap fitting that screws onto it where the feed hose usually goes. The feed hose then screws onto that fitting. I refused to use the supplied self piercing saddle fitting, dont trust them as far as i could throw them. I didnt want to try to take the feed off the tap feed under the sink, as the boiler takes its feed from there and i didnt want to interfere with that.
I dont fit in cupboards, so it was a complete sod to get the unit mounted and connected in the cupboard under the sink. I can only fold myself up so far. Bashed my elbows, arms and head several times, and was utterly boiled by the 31 degree ambient temperature in the kitchen.
So i was very sweaty, knackered, and fed up by the time id done.
Plus it leaked water everywhere until id got all the connections between the filters fettled.
Also had to put an inline tap in the water feed, otherwise it would have meant pulling the washer out to get at the tap fitting everytime it wanted turning on or off.

I can do without that.

Apparently, people use r/o d/i water as a rinse for their records when they have cleaned them, so i might get something out of it for my trouble and banged limbs and head....
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#615 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »