what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#586 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Watching...

..the clear blue sky

...and a Spitfire doing barrel rolls and loops over the village...

The sound alone is making the hairs on the back of my neck and arms stand on end :D

It's one of the two from Headcorn a few miles away... We used to have another one in the village too, PL983, flown by Martin Sargeant but that was destroyed a few years back in a crash that also killed him.
Last edited by jack on Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
shane
Social outcast

#587 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by shane »

We live about ten miles outside Plymouth, where they often have military displays and so on.

Couple of years ago there was a big military music event on the Hoe, accompanied by a Spitfire aerobatic display.

I don’t know if he turned up early or if he wanted to practice, but we were treated to a half hour display of our own over the village. Magic!

You’re quite right, the sound of a Spitfire is incredibly moving even to our generation who never heard them in real action.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#588 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

I've just been out for a good walk to give the bike a rest - 6 miles and its bloomin warm! I played the BBC radio production of Len Deighton's 'Bomber' on the headphones - incredibly evocative and really stirs the emotions.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#589 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Wasps = evil bastards.

We have a weather boarded cottage which the wasps love...

Lot of scratching noises at night in the upstairs bedroom. Had to break into the ceiling...

Wasps previously killed by a combination of thermite, polonium and dioxin - all too good for them.

So now another annoying job patching the ceiling and redecorating...
IMG-20200808-WA0004_copy_756x1344.jpeg
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#590 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Paul Barker »

shane wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:03 am We live about ten miles outside Plymouth, where they often have military displays and so on.

Couple of years ago there was a big military music event on the Hoe, accompanied by a Spitfire aerobatic display.

I don’t know if he turned up early or if he wanted to practice, but we were treated to a half hour display of our own over the village. Magic!

You’re quite right, the sound of a Spitfire is incredibly moving even to our generation who never heard them in real action.
I believe there were some innovations in the various Marks’ of Merlins’ that are still considered excellence in engine design today. In times of great necessity this country has a history of rising to the need of the hour. Of course with same engine the Hurricane had more kills in the Battle of Britain. Not of fighters so much as of bombers. Without Spitfire so few heavily outnumbered we wouldn’t have held Gibralter. However throughout the war as a whole the Mosquito made the most impact. Suck eggs moment form Paul.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
ed
retired

#591 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by ed »

more wasp tales...

yesterday noticed a few wasps flying near the back door of the rear extension....on closer inspection realised it was more than a few....there's a nest under the weatherboard about 3 feet from the back door, completely impossible to access. Not sure what the next move is....the boss immediately ordered a door net from ebay.....not sure how effective it will be because all the windows in the kitchen are close by and they seem to be open most of the time.....I think she thinks they(the wasps) only come in through the door....I don't think they're that polite.

oh waily waily.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#592 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

After my late evening walk I sat down to view a big list of superb properties in various parts of the UK. Varying from obscenely priced London area to quite modestly priced castle type buildings in various parts of Scotland.

Now, I didn't have time to view more than about 10 in great detail, but of those 10 not one had any sign of a hi-fi. Plenty of huge TVs, but no (visible) speakers to go with them.

Just surprised me.

Here is a link to the list if anyone wants to dream. :)

https://www.countrylife.co.uk/property/ ... week-70713
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#593 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Paul Barker »

Have I missed something Phil? Are you moving?
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
shane
Social outcast

#594 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by shane »

Hi-fi is a dying thing. The generation that grew up in the 70’s when it was the third big purchase after the house and the car are now dying out, and of those who are left, many only bought hifi then because it was the done thing and have since lost interest. Here in Plymouth in 1976 there were seven good independent hifi shops. Now, there’s just one branch of Richer Sounds whose window is full of enormous TVs. Music now is just a continuous stream of background noise fed through phones to block out the silence. No one really listens any more.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#595 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

I don't remember seven in Plymouth but I spent some time in one of them, it was on the first floor above some normal shops in the city centre - was it Peter Green or something like that? I seem to remember orange window shades?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#596 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

Paul Barker wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:06 am Have I missed something Phil? Are you moving?
I'd like to have enough space to strip down and rebuild a couple of classic cars, but not today.

To be honest I enjoy looking at country house details, and classic cars for sale. I find it quite therapeutic wandering away in my mind to places and situations I may like to be.

That does not mean I'm unhappy with my life as it is at the moment.

I could say more but there are those who don't understand and find it necessary to berate those they see as spiritualistic (not religious) cranks.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#597 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

shane wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:16 am Hi-fi is a dying thing. The generation that grew up in the 70’s when it was the third big purchase after the house and the car are now dying out, and of those who are left, many only bought hifi then because it was the done thing and have since lost interest. Here in Plymouth in 1976 there were seven good independent hifi shops. Now, there’s just one branch of Richer Sounds whose window is full of enormous TVs. Music now is just a continuous stream of background noise fed through phones to block out the silence. No one really listens any more.
:D
That really cheered me up!
shane
Social outcast

#598 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by shane »

Ray P wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:39 am I don't remember seven in Plymouth but I spent some time in one of them, it was on the first floor above some normal shops in the city centre - was it Peter Green or something like that? I seem to remember orange window shades?
That was Peter Russell’s HiFi Attic. I Worked there in 86 and 87. This was an adjunct to Peter Russell’s Hot Record Store which was a core part of the life of any rock fan in Plymouth at the time, but also world renowned in Jazz circles as a mail order supplier.

In 1976 there was Peter Russell’s, Wanstall HiFi, Burridges, Albert E Ford, Electrosure, Tom Molland ana Rodcarne HiFi.
By 1980 I think there were three of maybe four left.

http://www.britishrecordshoparchive.org ... store.html
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#599 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Mike H »

ed wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:35 pm more wasp tales...

yesterday noticed a few wasps flying near the back door of the rear extension....on closer inspection realised it was more than a few....there's a nest under the weatherboard about 3 feet from the back door, completely impossible to access. Not sure what the next move is....the boss immediately ordered a door net from ebay.....not sure how effective it will be because all the windows in the kitchen are close by and they seem to be open most of the time.....I think she thinks they(the wasps) only come in through the door....I don't think they're that polite.

oh waily waily.
At the old bungalow had one under the bath (sort of) at the taps end, they were getting in via a gap between the waste pipe and the hole in the wall. I just sprayed it full of wasp killer, end of. Hitherto, they didn't like it tho when you had a shower 'cause the hot water pipe made 'em too hot. Diddums den! :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#600 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Filled up a rubble sack with it - used a bread knife to cut it out of the roof. Then used gloved hand, vacuum cleaner, whatever to get the last bits out - a few stragglers still alive - very young wasps looking lost that must have been about to emerge before Armageddon hit the colony... A few blasts of RAID into the cavity put them out of their misery...
IMG_20200809_150342.jpg