what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ant
Shed dweller

#526 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Got some work done while having to dodge the rain, then when it was abit too much to be working outside, got the accounts up to date.
Then did a bit of research on the me95 cart I got. The replacement stylus according to mantra audios website is the shure ndc ej type. Only about 30 quid for a generic, so that's not bad, I'll get one. Interestingly, jico do an SAS version of that stylus with a boron cantilever so if I get a cheap generic one and it works and sounds nice, I could get a proper stylus for it. Original shure ones are unobtanium so the generic one that mantra has will be a tonar or something.
Worth investigating further
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#527 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

Just having a coffee - busy day so far. I've done some work on both the 13E1 and 6C33C amp projects earlier (added the feet to the bottom plate for the 13E1 so I can install it later and have been assembling the power supplies for the 6C33C) and this afternoon I've done some work on the garden, mainly preparing to install some new railings on our roof terrace, which has involved drilling mounting holes for the stanchions and drilling/tapping holes for the railing brackets. It's raining now so I've had to put the power tools away and will do a bit more amp work.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#528 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I've been in the garage using the lathe. I machined the heads of stainless steel allen screws (M8) to reduce the diameter a tad, and then skimmed a tad (not the same tad) off the top of the head.

They will be used with part of a 3" exhaust U clamp. I had to spring the clamp base open half a tad so it would nor damage what I'm going to clamp. I'm not saying what just yet as the plan might not come to fruition.

I'll also need to turn up some Delrin spacers M8 clearance but not sure of the length yet.

Anyway, I've enjoyed my garage session this afternoon. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#529 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

I needed to use the bench drill for a special job, and I really needed my machine vice. When I found it I was disgusted how rusty it had become, and was totally unusable. :shock:

Anyway, two hours later it had been disassembled (with great difficulty) cleaned up, lubricated and put back together.

I must look after my tools and equipment.

etc.

Edmund Burke

Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#530 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Sitting here, wiring up the new amp, whilst drinking tea and listening to the BBC Third Network on the restored wireless.

Niiiice. :flower:
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ant
Shed dweller

#531 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Woke up this morning to a crashed marine fish tank. All the fish bar one dead and a huge bacteria plume in the water
Its taken all day to empty it and strip it all down to get all the dead out, to clean it all and mix up as much new salt water as we could with the amount of reef salt we had left. So its now about a third full. The big external filter we have cant be used until there is enough water in it to cover both the inlet and outlet pipes, so thats a pain.
once the salt we've bought turns up, it can be mixed and refilled completely, but its going to take ages to cycle again and settle to the point we can put new fish in.
God knows how much it will cost to restock, we had some lovely mature fish in there that have been in there for a few years.
Mightily pissed off.
And no clue as to why the tank crashed in the first place.
In the last 16 years we have only had one other crash on a tank, and there was no identifiable reason for that either.
Piggin ell.

Thermionic Idler
Old Hand

#532 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Thermionic Idler »

Gutted for you Ant, that's a real shame. I was admiring that tank of yours last Saturday when I dropped off the RCM, I seem to remember spotting one pretty darned big fish in particular, about 5 inches I think? I was telling Meredith about it only last night, we really want a tank of our own but right now we just don't have the space.
Deck: Garrard 301 - Audio Origami PU7 - NW Analogue DH3S
Phono: Pete Millett LR, Lundahl SUT, AMB σ22 PSU
Linestage: Bruno Putzeys Balanced Pre + Hans Polak relay mod, LCDuino control
Power amps: 300B PP 'Symmetric Reichert'
Speakers: FF225WK Big Mets
Ant
Shed dweller

#533 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Yep he was a silver scribbled rabbitfish, we'd had him a long time.
There was also a bronze tang, a couple of cromis, some damsels, mollies, and a canary blennie called mr fish. For some reason only one molly was left

We have a small tank upstairs that is used as a quarantine tank that at the moment has a pair of clownfish, a bright purple goby and a pair of pyjama cardinals in it. These were bought about a week ago and were to go in the big tank after spending 6 weeks in the quarantine tank to make sure they havent got any diseases or parasites, so we do have a couple of small fish to go back in it when its sorted out, but nothing like the rabbitfish or the tang.
Its been a crap day

jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#534 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

Sorry to hear this Ant... Tough...

Are salt water tanks like fresh water ones in that you need to balance the bacteria in the water, or are they normally sterile?
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P

#535 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

That's a real shame Ant and it's clearly upset you big time. Hope it all comes back together for you over time.
Ant
Shed dweller

#536 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

with the marine tanks the bacteria has to be in balance, more so than a fresh water tank. The ph levels, nitrates, ammonia, bacteria and salt content all need to be in equilibrium and monitored regularly. Its the bacteria that deal with the nitrates and ammonia.
The only thing i can think of that caused it to crash is that something died overnight and caused the bacteria bloom as it started to decompose, and the huge amount of extra bacteria in the water completely changed the water chemistry and killed everything else. The tank is big, there is plenty enough water in it to reduce the effect if something does die, but i think the sudden change completely upset the balance this time.
Just have to start again

vinylnvalves
Old Hand

#537 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by vinylnvalves »

I feel for you regarding the loss of the fish. When I kept marine fish some 30 years back. I had an incident which put pay to me keeping them. We had a big tank - I purchased a Picasso Tigger it was a big specimen.. cost £30 I think ( could buy 3 S/H Garrard 401’s for same money at that time). All was fine after it had finished terrorising the rest of the fish. Then one morning no power - power cut I thought.. going downstairs to investigate I could see every fish floating in the tank... The trigger had chewed through the cable to one of the heaters and had electrocuted all in the tank. My wife was more concerned about the contents of the freezer.
I now only keep a species tank of Lake Tanganyika Cyclades, less effort to run.

I agree some fish hiding under a rock to die will cause any tank to crash.. especially marine. I assume all the none fish, coral etc are still salvageable .
Ant
Shed dweller

#538 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

yep the corals are ok, they didnt like it one bit but they have been put in a separate little plastic tank with water from the quarantine tank in it along with some live rock. They have all perked up and opened up today so they seem back to normal.
The snails and crabs ect that are still in the half full tank seem fine too, i left the sand in when i emptied it so we didnt lose any of them, and rejigged the live rock while i was at it. they are just doing whatever it is they do. The one remaining molly seems back to normal too

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#539 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

This morning Jean and myself, with two friends, went on a circular walk from Bures (on the river Stour-Essex/Suffolk border) to Arger Fen, we reckon it was about 5 miles. Not too strenuous as my friends wife can't walk very fast.

Afterwards we stopped at the pub in Mount Bures and had a pub lunch. Very nice.

On the way home we stopped off at Chapple and had a look at the railway viaduct, supposedly the second largest brick built structure in the UK.

So, a lovely day out we all enjoyed.

Edmund Burke

Ray P

#540 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ray P »

Just spent the morning in the garden, generally clearing up, weeding etc. and the thoroughly pleasant job of clearing the pond (oxygenators were taking over, but can now see the fish swimming again instead of wriggling!) and the regular clean out of the pond pump/filter/UV system. Time for coffee and to sit and admire my work!

After lunch I have to take the bags of garden rubbish to the recycling centre (garden is to small for any composting so I give them it for free and then have to buy it back when I need some!).

May fit in an hour with the soldering iron later. No bike ride today - give the old legs a rest, but I'll take a stroll along the river/canal later.