what are you doing ?

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#421 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

Oh, yes, and the chest freezer that died the second day of lockdown. Got a new one, but they could not take the old one away.

Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#422 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by jack »

I'll take the speakers and the amp. That should save you at least one trip...

Found a 90x180 electronics workbench dismantled in the back of the garage. A few spots of rust, but basically very sound and solid. Advertised it for free on village Facebook page, but no takers.

Now assembled in the woodwork shop (the workshop cellar).Top has a very slight warp which will be cured by loading it up overnight and then a bunch of big screws.

Very tempted to make part of the top an MFT with the new Parf kit.
IMG_20200612_152312_copy_887x665.jpg
Last edited by jack on Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#423 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

And I'll take the 212 amp if it's still under that pile. :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#424 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

That is a heroic pile of boxes!
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#425 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Nice photo Nick !
pre65 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:38 pm ........waste disposal site is only allowing cars, or car derived vans, and by prior appointment only.
I go past the sign near the tip in Denbigh. It always raises a smile from me. I can just picture people going in one at a time to an office, sitting opposite the recycling site manager, to discuss their refuse and the type and quality of it, to see if they are permitted to bring anything in. Sort of like a visit to the bank manager.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#426 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

At Haverhill,if you can get an appointment, they allow you 10 minutes to get in, unload, and get out.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#427 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

I'm going to attempt a tip run next Thursday. All booked in. Hope not to fail interview on need to dump.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#428 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

Nick wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:15 pm Oh, yes, and the chest freezer that died the second day of lockdown. Got a new one, but they could not take the old one away.

Impressive pile but are your rubbish recycling people not taking cardboard?
Nick
Site Admin

#429 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

Yep, but the dog rescue and family fill up the recycling bin every two weeks. I need to take them over to MCRU and use his commercial bins, but that involves me doing it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Ant
Shed dweller

#430 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

I pay 90 quid a quarter for my trade waste bin, same size as a normal wheelie bin but it's emptied weekly
I contacted my local council to arrange it.
That's where most of my cardboard goes along with Mainly timber and metal offcuts that are no good.
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#431 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

We must be lucky. Cardboard is the one thing that doesn't have to be in the bin. Just pile it up and it goes.
Neal
Shed dweller

#432 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Neal »

Recycling centres around here are all open and refuse collection is back to normal
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#433 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Interesting to hear others' experience of lockdown stress. I've had this week off and spent the last 3 days decorating :( - to misquote Steve Redgrave if anyone sees me with a roller in my hand again they have my permission to shoot me. Anyway, decorating''s one of those jobs that gives you time to think and reflect. Sometimes that's good, sometimes not.

Like Nick I'm very happy not to have a couple of hours driving a day, and don't mind working from home at all. But everyone seems to be more productive so I'm busier than ever, which is bloody wearing after a while! Working for free on bank holidays just to keep my head above water isn't fun. Still, after this decorating odyssey I'll be glad to go back to work.

This global pandemic has caused a lot of anxiety, in perhaps unexpected ways, and it's no surprise things aren't what they were. I suspect there being no obvious end in sight, and perhaps controversially the reducing of lockdown in an attempt to save the economy, is weighing on people. It is me.

Anyway, impressive cardboard box collection Nick :-D. If it's any consolation I feel lots better about my own feeble piles.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#434 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:07 pm Where did you go, Simon ?
Looking forward to the day I can drive somewhere different !
Robin Hood, just east of Baslow, in the White Peak, our side. Had a wander up to Birchen Edge and the Three Ships and Nelson's monument. I'd post a photo but haven't worked out an easy way of reducing file size on my phone. Then on and around on a loop. Fairly low octane but a very pleasant half day''s walk away from computer screens.

Lots of good walking in The Peaks, though I've not been as much as I should over the years. It takes an hour to hour and a half to get there, and in the same time I can get to North York Moors and North Yorkshire and have tended to go there. And The Lakes of course.

I do remember going up Kinder Scout the morning after my mate's stag do, but I was a lot younger then. Now I couldn't even drink what I did then, let alone get up the next morning for a hike! When we got to the top the cloud was down and you couldn't see the other side of the trig point. And then had to jump through peat hags to come down.

The Peak District tends to be busy, or the car parks anyway, as 20m people are supposed to live within an hour's drive. Need to be getting to the car parks for 9 in the season and at weekends. But like everywhere else once you're away from the car park you're largely on your own. :-)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#435 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Sounds great. Not been to the Peak for a long while. Used to get as far as the Cat & Fiddle and Buxton years ago on long bike rides from Croft. I think the last time I was over I went to take a look at Black Rocks near Cromford ( is it ? ) to look at some famous rock climbs and take a few photos. That was about 15 years ago though.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"