#316 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Ha ! :) Top-notch !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Greg
Social outcast

#317 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Greg »

all my commiserations with you, Nick. I’ve been there as well and know what it’s about. Hoping you can find a way under the restrictions to honour her as you would like to.
steve s
Shed dweller

#318 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by steve s »

I'll add my condolences Nick, sad news..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#319 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by izzy wizzy »

simon wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 9:11 pm We don't have any quiet corners really so everywhere has to be reasonably presentable - the composting is in the front garden.

5 skips is a great effort! Are you digging your way home?
Feels like it. Just a very neglected garden where levels have risen, rock garden in silly place buried paths, horrendous invasive weed problem and so on.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#320 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Cressy Snr »

Listening to Radio 3: an oasis of calm.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#321 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ali Tait »

Condolences also from me Nick, a sad time.
steve s
Shed dweller

#322 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by steve s »

The nice weather today prompted me to get the planer out. I've squared and cleaned up 20' of sawn oak,
Then cut it up and started glueing together.
So far there's the bits for a valve amp chassis, a pair of heavy wall brackets to mount a turntable on the lounge wall.
I also found some nice rosewood so made some side panels for a sold state amp I've got on a board
The wheelie bin is half full with wood shavings, it's surprising where it all came from.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#323 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by IslandPink »

Decided today was the day to get doing some photo printing again. Just aiming to do some contact prints on 3 or 4 sheets of negs from the last two years, & maybe a small print of one subject. I finished tidying up the darkroom ( scullery ) and started mixing chemicals, stop-bath first. Cleared the draining board of washing up , in the kitchen. Put the window cover on, got the safelight on, wound up the timer.
Luckily I hadn't mixed up any developer.
Checked the cupboard in the kitchen for the big box of A4 resin-coated paper. Nothing.
Went around the house swearing, hoping I would find I'd moved it somewhere 'safe'. Nothing.
Gave up, made a cup of tea.
Now my only progress on this will be ordering another box of paper :roll:
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#324 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by simon »

Tidying the garage. It was fabulous yesterday, feels like winter today.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#325 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by pre65 »

simon wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 4:25 pm
It was fabulous yesterday, feels like winter today.
Brrrrrrrrrrr. Staying indoors and resting.

Yesterday I attacked the front drive with a stiff broom. I'd treated the mossy bits with a bleach solution beforehand and it's better now, but will need more effort when the warmth re appears.

After that I tried to deal with the brambles that cover my garage roof. Unbeknown to me (cos I'd not bothered to check for several years) the gap between my garage and the neighbours fence (possibly 24") was home to a overgrown bush about 4" diameter as well as the brambles. I got about 1/3 of the way down and using a 180mm 6 tpi blade in my jigsaw (from Tops Tools) I managed to get a large section of the bush out of the way.

As a result of that my arms and legs (wearing T shirt and shorts :oops: ) were covered in blood and scratches.And my back was aching. At that point I stopped.

Before I attack it again, I'll try shredding the smaller bits of yesterdays efforts.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Ant
Shed dweller

#326 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

Spent the day doing some bits and pieces. 1st, helped son no1 with a project he's been set by his new school.
He is going to a new technical based school in Doncaster in September and was supposed to have a couple of transition days which are now no longer happening, so they have set a little project. The project was on upcycling. He was looking for something to up cycle and nicked an old block of wood from my stash of 4x4 bits that I use as spacers when cutting sheets with the circular saw. Wanted it turning into a candlestick/candle holder. So i spent half an hour turning it on the lathe for him. Wasn't about to let a 13 year old loose with sharp objects.... And it did say work with an adult for that bit. I let him watch....
He had to design it, I just made what he asked for.
Was quite nice to do
Then spent a couple of hours fitting the AT1100 arm onto the jbe as the audiomods arm has now gone to a new owner along with the teardrop lenco. I was for some reason all cack handed and useless, anyone have that every now and again where everything seems to fight you when you are doing a relatively simple task........
Got there eventually in three times the time it should have taken......
And found a gem in my collection of crap. Found a box containing a dual eds1000 motor psu and platter which I forgot I had.
Hmmmm.............
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Nick
Site Admin

#327 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Nick »

Wasn't about to let a 13 year old loose with sharp objects
I have a memory of using a woodworking lathe to make a candlestick holder in first or second year woodwork at secondary school, so that would be around that age.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Greg
Social outcast

#328 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Greg »

Yes, I also was using a woodworking lathe at 13. How times have changed. Have to admit, I did sniff a bit of glue between sessions :oops:
Ant
Shed dweller

#329 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Ant »

When I was his age the lathes were still there in the woodwork room of the d&t block but we weren't allowed to use them.
One of the big record ones had a sanding disc on the backside of the lathe head which we were allowed to use but all other tools were dormant.
In the metalwork room there were 3 huge myfords but same again, completely dormant. There was even a forge and anvil, all unused for years, and in the centre room that wasn't a classroom (4 big L shaped rooms around the outside of the block with a big one in the middle) there was a huge table saw, a huge bandsaw and a load of other electric hand tools. None of them were allowed for use. Seems stupid to me that all the stuff was there, mustve been outfitted like that in the late 60s early 70s and was all high quality, but was completely wasted.
And probably why a lot of people my age don't know one end of a saw from the other
When the opportunity came up for him to apply for the new school (Doncaster utc, link if you want a look
https://www.doncasterutc.co.uk/) we had a good look at it and applied. I really hope these type of schools start to
gain some traction again
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
Neal
Shed dweller

#330 Re: what are you doing ?

Post by Neal »

At that age I pretty sure we where in engineering classes and being introduced to lathes etc. Brazing and welding gear....
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.