Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#331 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Nick »

Well I think he's got a point, given that in most countries, the only people getting tested are those who come into hospital very ill, and a fraction of the health service staff.
Yes, I understand that, but if its the case for most countries, then the numbers between most countries can be compared with some validity as they are all measuring the same thing. But strictly speaking, its not a competition, the numbers don't matter that much to us. If you look at the comparison charts that are being published,

There is clearly a "main sequence" and outliers. Ignoring South Korea who have had years of dealing with infections from China, then the odd one in Europe is Germany which could be due to vastly higher testing or different definitions of measurement.

But in reality all we need to watch is our curve. We can look to the others to decide if we like the Governments response or not.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#332 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Nick »

AFAIK, the published figures are death in hospital, so will be ignoring other deaths. Looks like nursing homes are getting it bad, but to be honest that was to be sadly expected both due to the closeness and age of the population. Not sure what could be done to improve things other than moving the carers into the same location and keeping them all sealed.

I think the official totals are updated with other deaths but they don't all arrive at the same time from each source.

And as for the "he had the virus but dies of something else". I don't know, Once upon a time every death could be ascribed to heart failure as that was the definition of death. You could take the other silly position that the virus is causing no deaths as everyone dies sometime, it just happens that those sometimes happened to be at the same time as a virus induced case of respiratory failure.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Nick
Site Admin

#333 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Nick »

I would hope that this would put paid to the "its a scam" views

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52278825

But then again, pictures of the earth from space don;t stop the flat earthers.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#334 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Mike H »

pre65 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:37 pm Coronavirus: YouTube tightens rules after David Icke 5G interview.
Oh god that moron. Image

Is the world still being ruled by 7 feet tall lizards from Venus?

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
little eddy
Old Hand

#335 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by little eddy »

At least Dave has another KNOSTI order to give me something to do.
TD-125/RB250/MC25FL & 'Snail' phono, NAS/SBT with CS4398 DAC, 41MP pre & MoFo Power, still messing with OBs.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#336 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by jack »

Mike H wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:01 pm
pre65 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:37 pm Coronavirus: YouTube tightens rules after David Icke 5G interview.
Oh god that moron. Image

Is the world still being ruled by 7 feet tall lizards from Venus?
Obviously. As any fule kno.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#337 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Nick »

Maybe we don't deserve to survive

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-52281315
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#338 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

Nick wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:10 pm .. but if its the case for most countries, then the numbers between most countries can be compared with some validity as they are all measuring the same thing..
No, that's not the case. The testing rates vary dramatically from country to country, and the testing is generally going up %age-wise, over time, but not steadily and not the same in each country. Good old John Campbell covers these stats on this most times he does an vlog update.

One thing he did report on which was interesting, and this was a few days ago.
There was research trying to get a first proper stab at the Case Fatality Rate in Europe. The researchers had tried to gather all the relevant data they could lay their hands on to estimate the real number of infections. So this was casting the net much wider than the confirmed tests. It would have included stuff like numbers of helpline advice calls, for instance. It was taken from at least 8 European countries.
The actual infection rates they estimated had pretty big error bars so far, just from memory I think it was from 3% to 15% of the population.
From this their CFR was fairly fuzzy, but I remember it was between 0.2% and 1.2% - ie. 2x to 12x as dangerous as normal influenza.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#339 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by mainscablesrus »

Here you can check how many confirmed cases in your area, mine is still very, very low

369 out of population of 440,000

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... y-11956258
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#340 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Aren't you the lucky one then.

Let's just see what happens next. I've been into the local hospital but have not yet been sent into the red zone to work. ( the wards) . People here are dying. An old chap at the bottom of my street died last week . I knew him because I fit him and his wife hearing aids a couple of years ago.

London has got it hardest at present but it is spreading and I dare say the statistics will be very interesting as times go by. Already it seems women survive better than men. That could be testosterone for you. Black and Asian people may not survive as well as white folk, perhaps, if so, may be due to socio- economic factors... it has been suggested.

Overall I think they said 10,000,000 plus or minus world wide. Can this be true?
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#341 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by mainscablesrus »

I am not lucky I am careful.

133,000 deaths so far.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
Last edited by mainscablesrus on Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#342 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ray P »

mainscablesrus wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 pm Here you can check how many confirmed cases in your area, mine is still very, very low

The apparent rate down here is even lower but it's pretty meaningless as you only get confirmed if you get tested, which will exclude most of your 440,000 - you need to make an educated guess at how many unconfirmed cases there are too and my money is it will be a lot more than 369.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#343 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by mainscablesrus »

Ray P wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:35 pm
mainscablesrus wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 pm Here you can check how many confirmed cases in your area, mine is still very, very low

The apparent rate down here is even lower but it's pretty meaningless as you only get confirmed if you get tested, which will exclude most of your 440,000 - you need to make an educated guess at how many unconfirmed cases there are too and my money is it will be a lot more than 369.
You are right it will be thousands as anyone who has it but does not have breathing difficulties has been told to stay at home and self isolate.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#344 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by pre65 »

Ray P wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:35 pm

Indubitably dear boy. Many,many more.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#345 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:26 pm Black and Asian people may not survive as well as white folk, perhaps, if so, may be due to socio- economic factors... it has been suggested.
That's the only thing they can think of. Doesn't fit the doctors and consultants though, does it ? Vitamin D, I will keep banging on about it. It's one of the few things we could do right now that would save lives.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"