Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#31 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ray P »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:21 pm I have a daughter Amy, who can support, so hopefully we’ll come out the other side intact.
Thinking of you and yours Steve...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#32 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Dave the bass »

Good point, well made.

Ever since I've had this cough no one wants to chat...
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#33 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ali Tait »

Keep well Steve.
Scottmoose
Needs to get out more

#34 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Scottmoose »

Too right, get well Steve. Make sure you keep yourself well hydrated.
'"That'll do," comes the cry of the perfectionist down the ages.' (James May The Reassembler)
Website www.wodendesign.com
Community sites www.frugal-horn.com & www.frugal-phile.com
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#35 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by simon »

Aye look after yourselves Steve and Ant.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#36 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Cressy Snr »

Thanks chaps. I’m drinking plenty of water, reading, listening to music and steering well clear of the internet and watching only one news bulletin per day.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Neal
Shed dweller

#37 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Neal »

strange light head and dizziness with head aches and dry cough over the last few days and feeling tired but no temperature so think it’s something else to the cleansing. Daughter has been classed as a key worker as she’s an R&D technologist in the food industry so may get pulled into production and delivery...she’s not pleased at all!
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
shane
Social outcast

#38 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by shane »

Hope it passes soon, Steve!
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
steve s
Shed dweller

#39 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by steve s »

There's alot of normal flu around Steve. Loads have got coughs sore throats etc..
I had a sore throat/ cough for 3 weeks, only went a few days ago.

Look after yourselves
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
JohnG
Old Hand

#40 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by JohnG »

There are plenty of minor infections going around.
Best to treat them with the same guideline as being called for, as the body will not be at a full defensive level if interacting within a group, so plenty of music to dig out and enjoy.

This is my second weekend of lock away, even though I am going out to work Monday to Friday.
With all the extra time at hand, I have done a change to the system that has proved a very worthy change.

The Perfect Wave Memory Player and Valve Output DAC with Siemens E88CC, early 1960 Holy Grail's, are now directly coupled to the 845 Mono's inputs, using the Mono's inbuilt Balance Pot's as the Volume Control.
This is wonderfully Lucid and extremely attractive to the ear, the Stacked 57's are singing their hearts out,
with Bass aplenty to Lauryn Hill at present.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#41 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ray P »

I've been out for a 30+ mile cycle ride this morning and it was really noticable how quiet the roads were compared to a normal Saturday.

I generally ride alone and will continue to do so, at least until the option to do so is legally removed or I'm unable to do so for another reason; the risk of receiving or transmitting an infection is very low and is counterbalanced, IMO, by the need to stay physically and mentally fit and well.

Currently COVID-19 seems to have made few inroads down here in Somerset, I'm guessing because it's relatively rural and we have a lower population density than the hotspot areas so we are probably a little back from the front of the curve but it's still a question of when rather than if.

Although I'm still going into the office, my place of work is working in a dispersed mode with the majority of my colleagues working from home with minimal impact on our outputs so far. Interestingly, little more than a year ago we couldn't have done that but when we move into our new, custom architected, building in January 2019, our technical infrastructure was completely revamped so that everyone has a laptop with a Citrix and Microsoft cloud-based infrastructure sitting underneath - we're running complex GIS (Geographic Information System) applications effectively alongside the usual office tools with it all achieving the required security accreditation.
Last edited by Ray P on Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ant
Shed dweller

#42 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by Ant »

I work from home anyway, my workshop doubles as the dining room, the lathe, milling machine, drill press and various other non 'man portable' equipment set up on the workbench in the corner.
Stuff that requires a lot of dust making is done outside, eg routing, cutting of wood using bandsaws, mitre saws ect, so is painting.
However.
Orders for stuff have completely dried up, which I suppose is to be expected given that bog roll is the hot product of 2020 :mrgreen:
I am OK for now, there is enough aside from previous work to keep us afloat for a while, and I do have some r&d work I have been wanting to do that I now have the time to do. Kids being off makes this somewhat problematic but it's just tough.
Also need to get my teaching head on and sort out a schedule and a plan to get the three sods squared away with the work that is being supplied through the school websites.
I have a hanpin direct drive tt motor kit I want to use, to see if its worth designing and building my own branded tt. and having already got a prototype arm design that I can develop further, I want to see what I can get out of it.

I spent a few quid on upgrading the lathe to a 4 jaw chuck, better carbide indexable tools, and stripped and rebuilt the slides and ways so I can get better accuracy from the old girl. So the tools are there, if not the motivation right now.

I'm finding it difficult to keep someone with bipolar disorder on the straight and narrow in these circumstances, I'm having to be hyper vigilant, looking for any signs that my wife is starting to lose control, and to keep an eye on the kids who are just as on edge as everyone else.
Spare a thought for those who have mental health issues.
And to all carers of all types, caring still has to be done regardless of the circumstances.
I also have another lenco chassis that I've modified so I can build another turntable to be sold once I've worked out a proper shipping method. Nobody is going to want to pick up, and I wouldn't want anyone to do so as things are.
We shall see how things pan out
Also starring Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln

www.bte-designs.weebly.com
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#43 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by jack »

Chins up chaps!

Just been to see my sister (72) who is self-isolating... she should be on her & her husband's boat in St. Lucia (they've lived on a boat for the last 30 years, sailing the world), but St. Lucia is in lockdown, so she's stuck in Tunbridge Wells and he's on the boat. TW for St. Lucia - A fair swap?

Just delivered a webcam & WiFi stick to her, plus other essential supplies, like food. Placed on doorstep. Retreat. Phone up to say its there.

Now with webcam, Skype is possible, so she's no longer going completely bonkers.

Can't see our mother (94) as the home she's in has sealed itself off.

Spoke to my elder brother who lives in St. Andrews. They're also self-isolating. He, like me, has technical business interests, so we're swapping critical system access information in case of any bother. Also including my #2 son who is reasonable at this stuff. Belts. Braces. That sort of stuff...

The tenant (40 y/o) in our cottage has gone down with the plague - says it's awful - one moment he was fine, an hour later he couldn't walk.
Last edited by jack on Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#44 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by IslandPink »

I do hope you get through it OK Ant. I agree it is hard if you have mental health problems. Let's hope we don't have to go down the road of the French and stop people going out on their bikes or walking in the streets - I'd go off my rocker if that happens.

Here's a re-cap on a subject I know we discussed before, but worth repeating - vitamin D - and this guy gives a nice plain-speaking explanation including the science behind it.

The recent experimental data is explained in detail around 9 to 12mins into the vid - I was surprised it's so strong, when the supplements ( 1000iu ) are only on the lower end of a 'therapeutic dose', from other papers I've read.
Not too late to get some, and get your levels up !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#45 Re: Corona Virus Lock Down 'Rant' Thread.

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Apparently sales of Corona beer have plummeted....

Going out for a healthy walk or bike ride is just another form of self isolating. I'd go bonkers if I couldn't get out.

The weather dahn sarf is good considering it isn't Spring yet.

All the best to everyone, whatever is best!
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.