spooky

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 spooky

Post by ed »

Be afraid.....be very afraid....

I've just been phoning a couple of local numbers to try and locate a tiler for the bathroom. I got some numbers from the internet showing local tradesmen with some references and feed back.

I telephoned the second number on my list and spoke to a nice chap, name of Paul, and we agreed a time for visit and the address and then I asked if he wanted my name...he said hang on...is that Ed Swift.........his mobile told him who I was....I've never met or spoken to the chap before this morning.

I find that quite scary
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#2 Re: spooky

Post by Ali Tait »

Yes agreed, but no avoiding things like this in the modern world unfortunately.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: spooky

Post by Cressy Snr »

I was under the impression that reverse directories are illegal in this country.
Normally, reverse directories are used by emergency services and police, to be able to find people from their phone number in an emergency situation. They are for internal use only and not for the general public to access. Things may have changed, but I can’t see it.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#4 Re: spooky

Post by Paul Barker »

My iPhone gives me the option to let people I phone or text to know my identity and even get a picture of me. I opt out!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#5 Re: spooky

Post by Nick »

Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 am I was under the impression that reverse directories are illegal in this country.
Normally, reverse directories are used by emergency services and police, to be able to find people from their phone number in an emergency situation. They are for internal use only and not for the general public to access. Things may have changed, but I can’t see it.
I would have thought that once you have a directory you have a reverse one.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: spooky

Post by Cressy Snr »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:39 pm
Cressy Snr wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:49 am I was under the impression that reverse directories are illegal in this country.
I would have thought that once you have a directory you have a reverse one.
Not exactly.
When I was at BT, the phone directories were in alphabetical order, by surname only for the general public. Unless you worked for BT, the police or emergency services, there was no way the general public could ever tie a name to a phone number. There were good reasons for this.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: spooky

Post by Nick »

Once they are in digital form it's only a matter of where you put the keys.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#8 Re: spooky

Post by ed »

well it's heartening that my little adventure has generated some interest.

One thing that might add intrigue....I don't have a mobile phone so these calls were made from our landline. Our landline, supplied by Karoo, is in the name of the mem sahib, and she is not named Ed Swift.

The plot thickens.

diet: I suppose I'm going to have to interrogate the tiler when he comes to give us a quote next week.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#9 Re: spooky

Post by IslandPink »

Good name for an album - Interrogate the Tiler
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: spooky

Post by Mike H »

Yes do! We are intrigued :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#11 Re: spooky

Post by jack »

They might be using a service like HiYa.

If at any time you've given out your landline number with your name to someone, then there'll be at least two names associated with your landline: your partner's (assuming female) and yours.

It's not rocket science to select the right one 😎
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
ed
retired

#12 Re: spooky

Post by ed »

I interrogated the tiler..

he had no idea how his phone new my name. It transpires that his phone is a Samsung. I searched for the Hiya app that Nick mentioned and it appears that the app is available on all Samsung mobiles.

I'm quite curious how HiYa found me, but that's obviously another story....

still scary.
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#13 Re: spooky

Post by Dave the bass »

Even spookyerererer, I know your name and I've never even spoken to you on any telephone!

Cosmic!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#14 Re: spooky

Post by jack »

Samsung call the HiYa feature "Smart Call" - it's specifically designed to identify otherwise unknown callers and optionally to block unwanted numbers, e.g. robocallers...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt