Squeeze box down!

Subjects that don't have their own home
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#16 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:41 pm Oh and... Daphile looks easy enough. First acquire a p.c. that can just stand alone. Thinks... will the Virtexbox be compatible???
Vortexbox ? One thing I always meant to do, but never did. Just need a dedicated PC and the Vortexbox software.

Didn't DTB have one ?
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Dave the bass »

Yep, Vortexbox still going strong, VortexBox SW Version: 2.3, Linux OS Version: Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug). Years out of date, don't care.

No conks. Unless you include the Touch I accidentally plugged 19V into years ago. My bad, not natural conkage.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#18 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Ali Tait »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:12 pm Hi Ali, that is a simple solution but it is only putting off the evil hour.
In that case I’d recommend a small form factor media pc with Roon and either Tidal or Qobuz. Excellent sound quality and Roon will also happily deal with any collection you have on hard drive.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#19 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Ray P »

Ali Tait wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:03 pm In that case I’d recommend a small form factor media pc with Roon and either Tidal or Qobuz.
I'll second that recommendation - treat the demise of the squeeze box as an opportunity...
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
andrew Ivimey
Social Sevices have been notified

#20 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I didnt understand a word Ali said; well the nouns anyway.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by pre65 »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:53 pm I didn't understand a word Ali said; well the nouns anyway.
That is absolutely why some of us really love the Squeezebox. :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#22 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Greg »

I can help you with WAD Schematics if you need them. Back in the day we used Ni-Cads which sounded good. Other types of battery are
not so good.
andrew Ivimey

#23 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Thanks Greg I have the schematic and wholly agree that ni-cads were the best, never tried leds though so there's some mileage there.
Philosophers have only interpreted the world - the point, however, is to change it. No it isn't ... maybe we should leave it alone for a while.
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#24 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Ali Tait »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 9:53 pm I didnt understand a word Ali said; well the nouns anyway.
Some enlightenment perhaps Mr I? :D

https://roonlabs.com/
andrew Ivimey

#25 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

I shall read, mark and ( try to) inwardly digest this, thanks Ali 🎶🎶

But Roon sounds familiar...
Could it have been described as useless when categorizing and listening to classical music, particularly opera and musical pieces that should seamlessly slip together without interruption?
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#26 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Ali Tait »

Not sure on that one, however I have read that Qobuz is better for classical than Tidal.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#27 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Ray P »

andrew Ivimey wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:47 am But Roon sounds familiar...
Could it have been described as useless when categorizing and listening to classical music...
No!

If you have previously experienced Roon you wouldn't have forgotten it - it really is a major step forward in capability/functionality. Give the free trial a whirl when you've read up about it.

There was/is another package called Rune, which has the same roots as Volumio?
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
shane
Social outcast

#28 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by shane »

Best for classical IMHO is Idagio, but I’m not sure that the Roons and Runes of this world have heard of it yet.
The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
andrew Ivimey

#29 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by andrew Ivimey »

Okay but ( and this shows my ignorance) are any of your suggestions subscription streaming services? I've got over 777gBs of music and that's after getting medieval with what I have. I don't want anymore music ( oh all right, a few things could come and a few more go but not enough to paying for something I wouldn't use ) So basically I just want to listen to what I've got.

Onwards!
Neal
Shed dweller

#30 Re: Squeeze box down!

Post by Neal »

Room is a music management system Andrew, Tidal and Qobuz are streaming services like Spotify. https://kb.roonlabs.com/What_is_Roon%3F

If I was you I’d just buy that SB touch Ali linked to or go the piecoreplayer route running on a RPi
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.