Tubes sound better??

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#16 Re: Tubes sound better??

Post by ed »

if the valves document doesn't move you I can recommend you follow Ken's gallery link on his site menu and have a look at his photography.

I think this might appeal to Mark
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Tubes sound better??

Post by IslandPink »

Oh of course, I knew his name from somewhere :oops:
Lots of lens tests etc.
Should have read further, but there were enough things I disagreed within within the first three paras, that I stopped.
Ps. your comments above are spot-on, Ed.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#18 Re: Tubes sound better??

Post by Mike H »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:01 pm Should have read further, but there were enough things I disagreed within within the first three paras, that I stopped.
Have to agree! :(

I stopped at: "Tube amplifiers have much more distortion than solid-state amplifiers, but most of it is second-order, which is quite musical. That's why it's called 'harmonic' distortion"

No, it's called "harmonic" because i's a component frequency of an oscillation or wave (physics definition), and "distortion" because it shouldn't be there.

Not because it's "harmonious" (music). :D

Although that might still be audible to the ear.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Tubes sound better??

Post by IslandPink »

Yep !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
steve s
Shed dweller

#20 Re: Tubes sound better??

Post by steve s »

ed wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:39 pm I think this item highlights the fact that we're not all chasing the same thing......

I hadn't realised that Steve was so impressed with my VA40, which has now been in the studio setup for nearly 20 years. It was a revelation to me that it was the same output as my 5 watt latfet that I brought to Owston in 2018.
I was very impressed with it ed, yours had not been used for a while and it still sounded good from cold.
On the day I thought it was on par with my nav used without a pre. ( on variable output cd)
After a few weeks use I would now say the one I bought is much better than my nva, (although I thought Steves a20 was better than mine), the aura is sweeter and musical. and it's got a built in pre/ volume control bonus.

I've had a watch on them on the bay, this came up on a reasonable buy it now a few weeks ago. I was very surprised when I got it plugged in
It must be distortion ?
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number