Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Subjects that don't have their own home
chris661
Shed dweller

#46 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by chris661 »

JohnG wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:52 pm I would happily put two of my Eminence Beta 15's in a Baffle to be used with the 57's at the next Owston.
It would be nice if any electronic requirements were catered for by somebody with a interest in this, as I'm lost on the most simple of ideas.
If Steve can post the Next Date, as I think it might clash with a date I have in mind.
I was going to bring a set of 4x Faital Pro 15HP1060, pulled from my PA subwoofers. 2x 15" a side might be a fun little stand for the statics to sit on.

I'm thinking a ~200Hz active crossover. I can use one of my Powersoft amps to run the whole thing, or if everyone would prefer valves for the mid-high range, we can use the 15"s to supplement what the ESLs are putting out. Bass level will increase, but it won't give the ESLs any more headroom, hence my recommendation of a full active crossover.

Chris
thomas
Old Hand

#47 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by thomas »

I did flap around searching for the lost bass on my OB's on Saturday night, I must admit, although on Sunday Chris did his DSP magic on them which I think worked better in that room....now they are back home they sound err quite different, so much so that I removed the padding off the Lowthers last night (DTB was my witness!).

So now I'm very hesitant in commenting too much on other folks systems tbh.....
chris661
Shed dweller

#48 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by chris661 »

If the OBs are close to anything (walls, furniture) when installed at home, you're likely to get more lower-mids and bass. Time for more measurements :D

Chris
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#49 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by IslandPink »

thomas wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:37 am I did flap around searching for the lost bass on my OB's on Saturday night, I must admit, although on Sunday Chris did his DSP magic on them which I think worked better in that room....now they are back home they sound err quite different, so much so that I removed the padding off the Lowthers last night (DTB was my witness!).
Not surprised at that - the Lowther is only around 92dB/w, same as 2x FX120's, so I'd expect something like 1 to 2R on the Eminence - which is how you had it !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
thomas
Old Hand

#50 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by thomas »

chris661 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 am If the OBs are close to anything (walls, furniture) when installed at home, you're likely to get more lower-mids and bass. Time for more measurements :D

Chris

I thought you'd say that!

Actually I have mentally 'lodged' your measuring equipment recommendations......
Dave the bass
Amstrad Tower of Power

#51 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by Dave the bass »

thomas wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:37 am ...so much so that I removed the padding off the Lowthers last night (DTB was my witness!).
S'true.

I tried to hide behind the settee when MrT said he was unleashing the full Sidcupness of the Big-Boobed Lovelies but it wasn't required in the end.

Those OB's sound very nice in his room.
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#52 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by Ali Tait »

Just call them Madonna.

Madonna with the big boobies.. :D
gazjam
User

#53 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by gazjam »

As sublime as Thomas’ OB’s sounded, (And they did - highlight of the weekend for me) those phase plugs did make me think of the Korova Milk Bar...

Seems a good spot to say thanks guys, had a great weekend and there wasn’t one single system played that made me think of the kit and forget the music.
All shapes n sizes, as it should be.
JohnG
Old Hand

#54 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by JohnG »

When I look at OB's, I lean toward passives, for what seems to me the easier to achieve option.
Thomas's OB's fell into that criteria, and I listened to them, and was hearing appealing sounds, that prompted me to request a track be played from my CD's.
So those OB's have stuck n my mind, and could quite easily be the foundation of a project I may attempt with the Quasar Design.
As for driving the ESL's in 2020, I can bring along the 845 PP Mono's.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#55 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by Mike H »

gazjam wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:11 am As sublime as Thomas’ OB’s sounded, (And they did - highlight of the weekend for me) those phase plugs did make me think of the Korova Milk Bar...

Seems a good spot to say thanks guys, had a great weekend and there wasn’t one single system played that made me think of the kit and forget the music.
All shapes n sizes, as it should be.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#56 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by mainscablesrus »

Well I enjoyed myself so much I am thinking I cannot wait another whole year so we could probably have my next Yorkshire HiFi club as a similar theme to Owston, any takers?
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
chris661
Shed dweller

#57 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by chris661 »

I'd be up for it. Happy to bring sound equipment - let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to hear.

Chris
The Stratmangler
Shed dweller

#58 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by The Stratmangler »

chris661 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:02 am I'd be up for it. Happy to bring sound equipment - let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to hear.

Chris
As an antidote to big bucks high end stuff an Amcron power amp should be included :D
Chris :happy3:
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#59 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by Ali Tait »

Good shout Dave, I’m in. :D
chris661
Shed dweller

#60 Re: Owston 2019 - Listening Impressions

Post by chris661 »

The Stratmangler wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:20 am
chris661 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:02 am I'd be up for it. Happy to bring sound equipment - let me know if there's anything in particular you'd like to hear.

Chris
As an antidote to big bucks high end stuff an Amcron power amp should be included :D
Sounds good to me.

If we're demoing systems, I might have some prototypes worked up soon. They'll probably be quite interesting.

Chris