peugeot 407 dash display

Subjects that don't have their own home
ed
retired

#1 peugeot 407 dash display

Post by ed »

here's another one you didn't see coming.......variety is the spice of life etc

A friend has a peugeot 407 and the dash display is going dim when it gets hot. Apparently this is a common problem with 407s. He has done some searching and found lots of after market displays but they all have features(i.e bits don't work) and he's also found that there is one cap in the display that causes problems when it gets hot.

from the vid he sent me it appears that the problem cap is a wima foil 3u3.
He has asked me if it can be replaced with a more heat tolerant type. I know less than nothing about heat in foil caps so can anybody suggest something here?

the vid he sent me is here......not even sure what the language is, but it's very lyrical....

There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#2 Re: peugeot 407 dash display

Post by Mike H »

Well how bizarre, just following an Internet search I can't get onto the Farnell site, "Access Denied You don't have permission to access 'http://uk.farnell.com/' on this server." What the hell? :shock:

Anyway here's a RS search result, max temp 110*C, but is that enough?

RS polypropylene-film-capacitors

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
chris661
Shed dweller

#3 Re: peugeot 407 dash display

Post by chris661 »

Is that max temp with the component still operating within tolerance, or is it just a survival rating?

3u3 caps are cheap, so I'd give it a go. FWIW, also consider trying some designed for PA speakers. Black boxes in the sun get nice and toasty, especially if you drop a couple of kilowatts into them.

Chris
Nick
Site Admin

#4 Re: peugeot 407 dash display

Post by Nick »

You could use this

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/polyprop ... s/1447770/

Which is Automotive grade. Or I would consider making some holes in the plastic backing to allow some air in.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#5 Re: peugeot 407 dash display

Post by ed »

I haven't heard back from him since Saturday
I suggested a list of 6 or so suppliers with parts, yours was included....
I also suggested he solder the new part in with legs to get it off the board and into free air and leave the back off the display unit.

I'm awaiting his thoughts or to see what he's done...

but thanks for the ideas
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#6 Re: peugeot 407 dash display

Post by Mike H »

chris661 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:00 pm Is that max temp with the component still operating within tolerance, or is it just a survival rating?
That is a good question. I assumed, perhaps erroneously, it was operating conditions. :shock:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#7 Re: peugeot 407 dash display

Post by Mike H »

Nick wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 12:01 am You could use this

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/polyprop ... s/1447770/

Which is Automotive grade. Or I would consider making some holes in the plastic backing to allow some air in.
:thumbleft: