Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Subjects that don't have their own home
Neal
Shed dweller

#16 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by Neal »

No problem with off topic chat. My brother had a Capri as a company car in the 80’s as a young sales man....he rolled it into a ditch! Had a nice vinyl roof as well LOL.
Only the Sith deal in absolutes.
ed
retired

#17 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by ed »

more OT...

the one in question was a mk1, green with black vinyl roof... and soon after I had a new mk2, red, which I did a fair few miles in before trading it in for a series 3 swb landrover with full tilt.

The amp in the back, if memory serves, was a carlsbro combo. Both it and the rivoli were unscathed, praise be!
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
shane
Social outcast

#18 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by shane »

pre65 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:36 am While Ford marketed the car as "Ford Capri – The Car You Always Promised Yourself", "Car" magazine described the Capri as a "Cortina in drag".

What other comparable (price range) cars were there in the UK at the time ?
Well this, for a start:

The world looks so different after learning science. For example, trees are made of air, primarily. When they are burned, they go back to air, and in their flaming heat is released the flaming heat of the Sun which was bound in to convert air into tree.
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#19 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by jack »

Nick wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:10 pm Despite all that I have fond memories of the two Capri's I owned in my misspent youth 1.6 and 3.0 both Mk i's. Ed, I still have memories (and possibly scars) of getting a Marshal 4*12 into the back seat (and out again). And Greg, they were great at learning to steer into a skid :-)

Sorry Neal, off topic. But the next vehicle I owned after the 3,0 was a Ducati, does that count?
I had a Capri 3.0L Ghia Mk 2 - it was a was far too light in the tail so I had a couple of big sacks of sharp sand in the boot to help keep it on the road during cornering...

Exciting-ish to drive though, especially in the wet...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#20 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by Ali Tait »

Neal wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 9:41 am The Alfa club had their own paddock, good turn out of cars but no Montreal’s here’s one from 2017.....

Drool...
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#21 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by izzy wizzy »

Great pics and memories of cars I owned or had in our family. Learnt to drive in my Mum's mint fiat 500. She then got a tasty fiat 850 sport as pictured. I then got the fiat 124 sport in blue, yellow here. Sold if when I came here in 85. Loved that car.

Cheers,
Stephen
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#22 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by Ray P »

I'm not really that much into cars but I do remember drooling over the Lancia Stratos cars when they were being rallied.

and I loved my friend's Lancia when he had it, one of these;

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#23 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by IslandPink »

Phwoar !
& thanks for the Montreal pic - superb - love the eyebrows.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
Neal
Shed dweller

#24 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by Neal »

Ray, that’s a Lancia Montecarlo also know as an x1/20, the larger more upmarket sister car to the x1/9. Great cars.
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#25 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by Ray P »

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
steve s
Shed dweller

#26 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by steve s »

A few years ago before I bought the Morgan I was looking for a sports car to restore. I have great uncle who had an old lancia sports car in his garage.
I went to look as it sounded just the thing... got there to find he wanted nearly £10k for this truly rusty relic from the 60s that looked more like a salon car to me.. he did eventuality sell it and he told me ( late 90s), that it was worth a lot of money...
I think it had a flat 4 engine and he said there where only a few in the country.. but don't remember the name/ model .. but I never regretted not buying it...
I too need to get the pile of bits that is the Morgan sorted.. one day maybe?

Edit..
The car (my uncles) was a Flavia coupe 1.8 from the early 60s.. it was rare in the UK as a rhd.. I just looked at the rust !
I'd rescued a few cars in the 70s and knew how difficult it is to weld to rust...
I bought a knackered little fiat 128 for my 1st wife and spent weeks with it on its side .. Italian cars where all rot boxes in the 60s & 70s.. all where known for good engines though.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Neal
Shed dweller

#27 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by Neal »

To be fair most cars from the 60s and 70s where rot boxes! A RH drive Flavia Coupe is a rare beast indeed these days. Would have taken a ton of effort to make the body shell good, it may have been worth it though as the prices of really good cars can fetch over 30k today.
Will
Old Hand

#28 Re: Autoitalia 2019 Brooklands (pic heavy)

Post by Will »

I knew a young chap who bought a Montreal unseen, well photo's..metalic sky blue beauty..