Owston '19 what are you bringing

Subjects that don't have their own home
gazjam
User

#16 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by gazjam »

Fancy coming again, hard life stuff over be good to get back into the fray..

Mind if I bring summit commercial?
Either PS Audio Directstream dac, or the Bascom H King PS Audio valve input preamp.
..Or Nicks 300B SET power amp with WE’s...(non commercial)
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#17 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by IslandPink »

Steve ( Shlels ) - I've just been wondering about how best to demo the 45 tweeter amp if I bring that to Owston. I would like to do a comparison against one or more of the OT's that might be there. You speakers would be excellent for that if it was possible to disconnect the bass driver or drivers . This amp isn't designed for bass and would probably be compromised by the back-EMF of those big units. Just a thought ...
Otherwise I will have to bring some sort of mono bodge with the Yuichi/288 and one ribbon tweeter.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#18 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by izzy wizzy »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:55 pm Otherwise I will have to bring some sort of mono bodge with the Yuichi/288 and one ribbon tweeter.
I'd be interested in hearing that.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#19 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by mainscablesrus »

Hoping to have this baby to play, was announced over a year ago.

Supposedly released in April 2019, so still 2 days left then!

You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
steve s
Shed dweller

#20 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by steve s »

gazjam wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:44 pm Fancy coming again, hard life stuff over be good to get back into the fray..

Mind if I bring summit commercial?
Either PS Audio Directstream dac, or the Bascom H King PS Audio valve input preamp.
..Or Nicks 300B SET power amp with WE’s...(non commercial)
You can bring what you like.. I would love to hear the we's.. I may have sold my stc 300a's by then so unable to compare..
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
steve s
Shed dweller

#21 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by steve s »

IslandPink wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:55 pm Steve ( Shlels ) - I've just been wondering about how best to demo the 45 tweeter amp if I bring that to Owston. I would like to do a comparison against one or more of the OT's that might be there. You speakers would be excellent for that if it was possible to disconnect the bass driver or drivers . This amp isn't designed for bass and would probably be compromised by the back-EMF of those big units. Just a thought ...
Otherwise I will have to bring some sort of mono bodge with the Yuichi/288 and one ribbon tweeter.
The 18s are easily disconnected.. your welcome to use what you want of my speakers mark.. my pleasure.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
chris661
Shed dweller

#22 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by chris661 »

Things I'll be bringing:

- My 2x10" PA speakers
- A subwoofer of some kind. Maybe something big if I can get it in the car.
- A few pro amps: Powersoft T604, T602, Crown MA5002VZ.
- Some small speakers I've been messing around with.

Mark, my PA speakers are bi-amped. It'd be easy to run my amps for the mids and yours for the HF - it's an 18Sound ND1460, which is a pretty nice compression driver. Sensitivity is well over 100dB@1w.
You'll need some kind of crossover on the input of your amp, though.

Chris
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#23 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by izzy wizzy »

It has been brought up in the this thread, my 813 amp build http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/phpBB3/view ... &start=270 that bringing my amplification to Owston is going to create a health and safety issue as my amplifiers, all of them, use Mercury Vapour (MV) recitifers. They are enclosed in the box (the phono) and will be enclosed in the box (the 813 amps).

However I can see some people getting a bit excited in a negative way (my view) about this so, as many other people do on forums. I thought I'd bring it up here. I didn't think it an issue as I've seen many public events with them exposed (mine are enlcosed) ETF, Rocky Mountain Audio Fest to name but two and I live with them every day in a family environment hence the reason they are in the box not on show.

If the consensus is one where a) the risk is too great b) people have anxiety issues or c) something else of concern, then I'll bow out of the event.

Cheers,
Stephen
Nick
Site Admin

#24 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Nick »

If you do bring them, which I hope you do, I will buy one of these to bring.

Should have one for LDA anyway as I have 866's somewhere. Think that should cover the fact we have taken risk management steps.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
simon
Thermionic Monk Status

#25 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by simon »

I imagine the risk from the mercury in our fillings is probably greater.
Cressy Snr
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Cressy Snr »

izzy wizzy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 pm
If the consensus is one where a) the risk is too great b) people have anxiety issues or c) something else of concern, then I'll bow out of the event.

Cheers,
Stephen
Come on Stephen don’t paint Mike and me as killjoys. I simply raised a genuine and in my view perfectly justifiable concern.
If you’re OK with MV rectifiers, fine, don’t let me or anyone else stop you attending. Looking fwd to hearing the amps.
Sgt. Baker started talkin’ with a Bullhorn in his hand.
Nick
Site Admin

#27 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Nick »

simon wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:27 pm I imagine the risk from the mercury in our fillings is probably greater.
Well, no, 866's contain liquid mercury, which when running is in the form of vapor. However, if one broke while working, the drop in temperature and pressure would cause the vapor to become liquid again. In terms of risk, its similar to a broken mercury thermometer. However the issue is it being in a rented public space. The cleanup would be the same as a broken fluorescent tube. Or for that matter a mercury level switch or whetted contact relay.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#28 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by izzy wizzy »

Cressy Snr wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:52 pm
izzy wizzy wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Cheers,
Stephen
Come on Stephen don’t paint Mike and me as killjoys. I simply raised a genuine and in my view perfectly justifiable concern.
If you’re OK with MV rectifiers, fine, don’t let me or anyone else stop you attending. Looking fwd to hearing the amps.
Oh gee, that wasn't what I was trying to convey. I'm trying to see this from other people's point of view and address genuine concerns. It's an event I'm new to and so I don't want to tread on anyones toes or upset anyone. I'm glad the subject has come up now. I don't want to travel all that way and be told that my gear is too dangerous for this event. I'm trying my best not to paint anyone as anything.

But as far as I can make out, this is a "show and tell" kinda gig unlesss I'm missing something and if my show and tell is not the kind of thing that's acceptable, then I'm perfectly OK with not going.

Cheers,
Stephen
Greg
Social outcast

#29 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by Greg »

We’ve had exposed MV rectifiers at Owston previously without any problem. People were sensible around them. I only remember the positive comments about their glow.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: Owston '19 what are you bringing

Post by IslandPink »

Seems to me if you make them not accidentally kick-able and Nick brings this clean-up kit, that's a good compromise.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"