Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Subjects that don't have their own home
DSJR
User

#166 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by DSJR »

Greg wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:11 pm That DSJR, instead of just commenting needs to get himself to one of these events to sample properly. Next year (already booked by Steve) Dave?
I made a favourable comment that it's great that DIY is alive and well in the north of England at least (I'm forgetting Phil in essex and those of you in the West Country). To see these amps spread out on open 'breadboard' bases is an eye-opener and for other reasons, there are one or two of you I'd like to meet personally and get to know better.

Sadly, family commitments mean I can't just up sticks and travel hundreds of miles on a boy's 'HiFi weekend' out and having to stay over too. My issue, nobody else's and it's something I have to accept as I'm not a free spirit. We intend to move in a year or two a bit more 'inland' so things may well change. In the meantime, I have the Audio East show just down the road from me and I get to meet old pals from my own mainstream industry days, but I admit, it ain't the same ;)
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#167 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Paul Barker »

Makes sense.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#168 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Paul Barker »

ed wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:47 am this could be an interesting issue.

I've had a growing suspicion in the last few years that online assessment of kit at meets can often say more about the assessor than the kit itself.

The endless back and forth of opinions and banter on forums may form opinions into personal emotions which may cloud any judgements down the line. I can't help thinking that a critique from people that had never heard the kit before or met(or conversed online) with the presenters..then that critique might be very different from those that had 15 or so years of trading ideas and opinions with the presenters.

Hands up those that feel they are completely impartial....

Those involved in the dialogue(the presenter and the reveiwer) will doubtless be aware of where each other are coming from but the sometimes bemused onlooker may wonder why the discussion is so far removed from what they(the outsider) heard.

bring it on....

snigger.jpg
I far preferred my early days building valve amps when quality digital sources weren’t affordable (only one I liked was the Linn Sondec £12,000 at the time) and learning with the experience of the sound changes associated with trying new things was for me in those days kept to a real close right circle of me and Jonathan Noble in private emails. As soon as you expose your views on an open forum it gets to be either you have to defend your position or you shrink back into your private opinions and you don’t bother sharing what you thought might benefit others.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Nick
Site Admin

#169 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Nick »

But if you don't expose your views, then in effect you have done what you said:

"you don’t bother sharing what you thought might benefit others."
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#170 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by ed »

Paul Barker wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:54 pm As soon as you expose your views on an open forum it gets to be either you have to defend your position or you shrink back into your private opinions and you don’t bother sharing what you thought might benefit others.
To me this seems evident on a lot of forums.

I rather think that as long as the responder realises that he/she is offering an opinion then the result can be meaningful. To my mind some repsonders all too frequently forget this.

You don't have to be faint hearted to back away from a lot of response on a lot of forums these days...it seems like the only safe thing to do.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#171 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Nick »

Part of the problem is the lack of face to face that allows ego's on many forums to get out of hand. Hopefully we could avoid that.

The other problem I am aware of when thinking about posting my views is that they could very easily be viewed as "well he would say that, he is just bigging up his own stuff, as he seems to be saying that he likes his own stuff much of the time" And I know it may look like that, but I try and make stuff that meets my own definition of what I want to listen to, so it would be strange that I didn't like it.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#172 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by ed »

I only make stuff I like by mistake..
and I never make mistakes
steve s
Shed dweller

#173 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by steve s »

ed wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:33 pm I only make stuff I like by mistake..
and I never make mistakes
😀
Wish I could say the same.
I make stuff I think I like.. but it's full of mistakes.
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
ed
retired

#174 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by ed »

I was trying to be a smart arse as usual...and get it round to Epimenides and the liar paradox....but as usual I think I made a mistake somewhere.
oh well.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#175 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Mike H »

Too subtle for us! :lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#176 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by mainscablesrus »

It was obvious a few of the systems needed more attention, simple as that.

I enjoyed myself as usual but this years collection wasn't as good as previous years IMO.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
izzy wizzy
Old Hand

#177 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by izzy wizzy »

mainscablesrus wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:08 pm It was obvious a few of the systems needed more attention, simple as that.
And for my part, that accurately sums up where I was at. And the opportunity to hear others and play the amps on other speakers bought that home and confirmed the reservations I was having about them and the speakers. The detail of that is my next journey.

Cheers,
Stephen
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#178 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by IslandPink »

mainscablesrus wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:08 pm I enjoyed myself as usual but this years collection wasn't as good as previous years IMO.
Remind us what time you left on Saturday, Dave, and were you there Sunday ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#179 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by mainscablesrus »

IslandPink wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:52 pm
mainscablesrus wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:08 pm I enjoyed myself as usual but this years collection wasn't as good as previous years IMO.
Remind us what time you left on Saturday, Dave, and were you there Sunday ?
I enjoyed myself as usual but this years collection wasn't as good as previous years IMO

Obviously the above applies to when I was there when all the systems had been played once.

I can't give an opinion on the sounds when I left. :D
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#180 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by IslandPink »

Capitals at dawn, is it ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"