Post by Dave the bass »

:)

A pleasure. Neigh!
"The fat bourgeois and his doppelganger"
Greg
Social outcast

#152 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Greg »

Thanks as ever to Steve for the event organisation. You’ve been doing it for so many years and you just keep on giving! Quality!
A great weekend. So good to catch up with everyone and get to know new faces and personalities. I had a blast (as apparently my Friday night performance confirmed!)
I’m not going to publicly single out systems I liked. I’ve conveyed that privately already. Overall, a great weekend with some really great sounds. The whole thing puts the Bristol Show and other commercial shows to shame! That DSJR, instead of just commenting needs to get himself to one of these events to sample properly. Next year (already booked by Steve) Dave?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#153 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by IslandPink »

Claro/Gorham turntable - respect !
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
thomas
Old Hand

#154 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by thomas »

Yep I thoroughly enjoyed it, all the systems I thought were excellent, lovely to hear the ESL 57s and 211 amp, and a special thanks to Chris today who tuned and tamed my Lowthers.....
Looking forward to next year!
chris661
Shed dweller

#155 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by chris661 »

Really enjoyed the weekend. Big thanks to Steve for organising everything again.

I think it'd be beneficial all-round if we can talk openly about the sounds we heard over the weekend, so I'll start a thread on that. I heard some things I liked, some things I wasn't so keen on*, but it's always great to catch up with everyone.

* Mostly related, I suspect, to room acoustics and volume levels. There were lots of hard reflective surfaces, and you've got to push the volume much higher than at home - a difficult situation for demonstrations.

Cheers, all.

Chris
Greg
Social outcast

#156 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Greg »

chris661 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:59 pm I think it'd be beneficial all-round if we can talk openly about the sounds we heard over the weekend, so I'll start a thread on that. I heard some things I liked, some things I wasn't so keen on*, but it's always great to catch up with everyone.

* Mostly related, I suspect, to room acoustics and volume levels. There were lots of hard reflective surfaces, and you've got to push the volume much higher than at home - a difficult situation for demonstrations.

Cheers, all.

Chris
Hmm, please don’t be a pedant. No analysis needed. We all heard and worked it out for ourselves. I expect the individual kit owners who presented also have this fixed. Of course, Owston is not the living room. Consequently the listening assessment means absolutely bugger all.
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#157 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by IslandPink »

Eh ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#158 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by pre65 »

chris661 wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:59 pm Really enjoyed the weekend. Big thanks to Steve for organising everything again.

I think it'd be beneficial all-round if we can talk openly about the sounds we heard over the weekend, so I'll start a thread on that. I heard some things I liked, some things I wasn't so keen on*, but it's always great to catch up with everyone.

Cheers, all.

Chris
I look forward to your assessment Chris, don't let Greg put you off. :)
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
ed
retired

#159 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by ed »

this could be an interesting issue.

I've had a growing suspicion in the last few years that online assessment of kit at meets can often say more about the assessor than the kit itself.

The endless back and forth of opinions and banter on forums may form opinions into personal emotions which may cloud any judgements down the line. I can't help thinking that a critique from people that had never heard the kit before or met(or conversed online) with the presenters..then that critique might be very different from those that had 15 or so years of trading ideas and opinions with the presenters.

Hands up those that feel they are completely impartial....

Those involved in the dialogue(the presenter and the reveiwer) will doubtless be aware of where each other are coming from but the sometimes bemused onlooker may wonder why the discussion is so far removed from what they(the outsider) heard.

bring it on....
snigger.jpg
snigger.jpg (12.38 KiB) Viewed 8254 times
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
chris661
Shed dweller

#160 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by chris661 »

Greg wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:31 pm Hmm, please don’t be a pedant. No analysis needed. We all heard and worked it out for ourselves. I expect the individual kit owners who presented also have this fixed. Of course, Owston is not the living room. Consequently the listening assessment means absolutely bugger all.
Greg, I can see where you're coming from, but disagree with your conclusion.

I'm pretty sure we all pick up on different things when we listen to a system - while I might spot frequency response deviations, you might be more sensitive to phase shifts. Someone else might be sensitive to harmonic distortion. Someone else again might pick up on inter-modulation distortion specifically.
To take an example, Mark (Island Pink) often talks about "tone" in his long-running thread. I find that a little difficult to quantify for myself, which sometimes puts us at odds. That said, if Mark does find something that does have a sound he likes, that probably means that a given system is doing something right, it's just that I might not spot that at first glance.

We all have different backgrounds, which gives us a unique perspective on what a given system is doing. So long as the context of the listening is taken into account - you're absolutely right, it's not a living room - I think it would be useful to share our thoughts.

So, I will be starting the thread. You're more than welcome to contribute or just observe. I would sincerely be interested in your thoughts on the equipment that I brought along, because it'll be a learning experience for me.

Chris

PS - Ed, I don't think any of us are completely impartial. Maybe that's not a bad thing, though.
Andrew
Eternally single

#161 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Andrew »

Thanks to Steve for organising, and thanks to everyone else who made it the best Owston for quite some time :)

I really enjoyed the day, it flew past.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#162 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Mike H »

Best quote of the weekend: "Des O'Connor does Hawkwind's 'Silver Machine'"

:lol:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
steve s
Shed dweller

#163 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by steve s »

What a busy weekend. Presently in York enjoying a few days to celebrate my 1st wedding anniversary. Had a nice meal last night and nice weather today for a walk.

The meet up was another good one..

Thanks for all the thanks...

It was great to see you all. I really enjoyed myself. The food was great the kit was really great.
Loads of really good sounds. A credit to you all.
It's a big task bringing a system.. let me say l very much appreciate all your hard work those who did,
And thank you all in making the meet what it is
The tube manual is quite like a telephone book. The number of it perfect. It is useful to make it possible to speak with a girl. But we can't see her beautiful face from the telephone number
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#164 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Mike H »

:thumbleft:

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#165 Re: Attendees Owston 1/2 June 19

Post by Ali Tait »

All been said really. Great to see you all again, it was a great larf, and a load of great sounding systems to listen to as well. Thanks as always to Steve for organising, and thanks also to t’other Steve for the kind loan of his speakers. Roll on the next one!

Oh yes, and thanks to Dave for all his “Descriptions through interpretive dance” :D