Hi-Fi Society Blog

Subjects that don't have their own home
savvypaul
User

#1 Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by savvypaul »

Hi peeps,

I have set up a new blog with the aim of creating more interest in bake-offs and other get-togethers.

It's a very simple affair, bringing together information from around the forums to share in one place.

I'll also be adding some interviews with enthusiasts who have organised and attended bake-offs.

I need to add more to the Loans page so please let me know any other manufacturers / dealers who routinely offer this.

You can see the blog here: https://hifisociety.org/

Please do feel free to comment on articles. I also need you to let me know if I've missed any recent bake-off activity or any upcoming bake-offs.

It's bare bones at the moment but I wanted to get it out ahead of MCRU's upcoming bake-off and in plenty of time for the WAM show in March and the AudioJumble in February.

Let me know what you think.

Many thanks,

Paul
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#2 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by Toppsy »

I do so hate these casual meets being called a "bake-off". What the *uck has comparing gear to do with baking!
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#3 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by pre65 »

Toppsy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:23 pm I do so hate these casual meets being called a "bake-off". What the *uck has comparing gear to do with baking!
Can't agree more Colin, I hate the phrase. :twisted:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Greg
Social outcast

#4 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by Greg »

Grumpy old men :roll: :lol:
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#5 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by pre65 »

Greg wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 pm Grumpy old men :roll: :lol:
Yes Greg. :lol: :lol:
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#6 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by mainscablesrus »

Top man Paul.
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Nick
Site Admin

#7 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by Nick »

Greg wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:07 pm Grumpy old men :roll: :lol:
Maybe, but its a stupid phase. Just what does it mean? The dictionary definition is:

"a contest in which cooks prepare baked goods such as bread and cakes for judging."

So, if its DIY stuff, I could see it would apply if you had the build the thing on the day, which would be fun, but other than Pauls 212 and the 833 I did with Paul I can't think of anything that matches that.

And with people bringing along commercial stuff it makes even less sense.

I guess I will have to put it in the same box as "hacker" where I put annoying common use of words that don't match their original meaning.

Its closer to a dog show, but at least there the winner is chosen by a single judge that is not competing and who is expected to understand the generic definition of good when applied to the breed in question.
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#8 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by Mike H »

bake-off
noun

a contest in which cooks prepare baked goods such as bread and cakes for judging.

Since passed into common usage to mean any contest or comparison, of anything.

And even(!):
"A research process or proof of concept in which competing technologies are compared and the best product or service is selected.

"A bake-off may also refer to a meeting in which software programmers challenge network protocols with their best innovative programs.

"A bake-off may also be called a technology bake-off."

:D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
savvypaul
User

#9 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by savvypaul »

Toppsy wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:23 pm I do so hate these casual meets being called a "bake-off". What the *uck has comparing gear to do with baking!
Soggy bottoms?
IslandPink
Amstrad Tower of Power

#10 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by IslandPink »

Chortle !
It does seem good to have a site that pulls together all the DIY work that's going on around the country.
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
ed
retired

#11 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by ed »

IslandPink wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:01 pm Chortle !
nah......snigger

I seem to recall bringing this up a while ago........

my tuppence worth is that it's an appalling name to describe hifi get-togethers or meets....I think my previous rant was the fact that it implies competition and one-upmanship(rememvber the school playground)

competition to conflict leads, to jealousy leads, to the dark side it does....

we used to go away from Eggborough and Owston with ideas about how to improve our kit or circuits.....these so called bake-offs just seem to provide a platform for 'mines better than yours' or so and so's is crap, or worse .....there is alot of negativity connected with these things these days.

things kinda slow around here at the mo, and it's ages since I had a good rant...snigger

but does seem like a good idea to pull the community together...how about 'hifi meets'?
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#12 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by Nick »

A bake-off may also be called a technology bake-off.
I see a recursive never ending substitution there.

technology bake-off
technology technology bake-off
technology technology technology bake-off

and so on.

We are doomed (and as that can mean anything I want it to mean it seems, its clearly true).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
ed
retired

#13 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by ed »

Nick wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:44 pm

technology bake-off

and so on.

We are doomed (and as that can mean anything I want it to mean it seems, its clearly true).
not nearly as elegant when applied to an english sentence.
There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be
Nick
Site Admin

#14 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by Nick »

ed wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:52 pm
Nick wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:44 pm

technology bake-off

and so on.

not nearly as elegant when applied to an english sentence.
I know, I considered writing it in BNF but thought it may not make itself too clear.
Nick
Site Admin

#15 Re: Hi-Fi Society Blog

Post by Nick »

Mike H wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:29 pm bake-off
noun

a contest in which cooks prepare baked goods such as bread and cakes for judging.

Since passed into common usage to mean any contest or comparison, of anything.

And even(!):
"A research process or proof of concept in which competing technologies are compared and the best product or service is selected.

"A bake-off may also refer to a meeting in which software programmers challenge network protocols with their best innovative programs.

"A bake-off may also be called a technology bake-off."

:D
Interestingly, the same page I think you got them from also suggests some requirements that make its use in regards to what we do when we listen as a group less applicable.

Forsythe, a technology consulting firm, suggested that a successful technology bake-off requires that participants understand three things about their environment and requirements:

(1)What success is for the organization. This involves setting up measurable, deterministic success criteria for each specific data center environment.

(2)A benchmark for end-user experience in the physical realm.

(3)That all interlocking products that comprise the overall proof-of-concept environment must be correctly configured to ensure that results are meaningful.
1. We all have differing definitions of what correct is, but try nevertheless to form a consensus.

2. We never try playing live music with actual instruments in the space to see what it sounds like

3. We don't make sure that everything is configured correctly and levels are matched. We just put it down, plug it in, and listen.