Opticians.

Subjects that don't have their own home
Nick
Site Admin

#16 Re: Opticians.

Post by Nick »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:41 pm
Nick wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:00 pm Did we ever find out what Phil was missing from his current Optician?
I'm still cogitating on whether to go back to my local optician or not.

I suppose it's because I perceive them as "expensive" compared to some of the deals one sees on TV for the likes of Specsavers et al.

I saw an advert on TV the other day for online specs suppliers who work from ones optical prescription, they seemed very inexpensive.

BUT, obviously, I require the very best eye test available, hence the cogitation. :)
I think it will depend on your prescription. I think my last set of proper glasses cost me a couple of hundred from Specsavers, but a simple single vision set of sunglasses was not much (£80 area I think but could be wrong).
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
mainscablesrus
Old Hand

#17 Re: Opticians.

Post by mainscablesrus »

pre65 wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:37 am I need an eye test.

I'm not happy with my local optician, so perhaps I need to use one of the newer ones that have sprung up in bigger towns.

Are any of these better (or worse) than the other ?
Phil have you lost the ability to think for yourself> I was hoping for better LOL
You can't change how people treat you or what they say about you. All you can do is change how you react to it.
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Nick
Site Admin

#18 Re: Opticians.

Post by Nick »

Well, he was asking for other peoples experiences which unless you are omnipotent you may have trouble thinking for yourself :-)
Whenever an honest man discovers that he's mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or he will cease to be honest.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#19 Re: Opticians.

Post by pre65 »

I went to Boots opticians in Sudbury (Suffolk) today for an eye test.

The optician was a locum, but he (as far as a layman can tell) did a good job, and answered all my questions to my satisfaction.

I ordered my new specs in the shop and all in they were £373.70 :shock: That's varifocal, with thin lenses and transitions.

This afternoon I've been on the Glasses Direct web site, and ordered two basic no frills pairs of specs, one for the computer and one normal vision. Total cost with introductory offers £22.95. :) :)

I'll let you all know how they turn out.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

Edmund Burke

G-Popz THE easy listening connoisseur. (Philip)
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#20 Re: Opticians.

Post by Mike H »

No good me doing that, as I need special lenses, and each eye has different needs. Got new lenses last year, can't remember how much exactly but not far off your £373. And that's reusing old frames.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#21 Re: Opticians.

Post by pre65 »

Mike H wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:29 pm No good me doing that, as I need special lenses, and each eye has different needs. Got new lenses last year, can't remember how much exactly but not far off your £373. And that's reusing old frames.
The cheapo ones are made up to my prescription.

Edmund Burke

Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#22 Re: Opticians.

Post by Paul Barker »

I bought top dollar Zeis in top optitions in Beverly (posh town) two years later opted for same quality but now working in hull so went to poor mans independent Hessle Rd opposite Asda. The poorer shop did such an amazing job I thought my prescription must have altered. Nope the zeis cards have exact same numbers in exact same columns (no idea what it all meAns. In effect it was the front of shop staff who mark positions on your glasses that made difference for me.. the Beverly ones had genuine pearl jewellery and posh frocks, and tried to make you feel like they wanted you to fuk them, all about sales. the poor area one had two front of shop staff but one at a time, 30 years experience wore tired cloths had tired faces and didn’t try to sexualise their service.(would have been wasting their time) But they glasses they presented me were that much better it was as if the prescription had changed.
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
Paul Barker
Social Sevices have been notified

#23 Re: Opticians.

Post by Paul Barker »

Price was about the same. Governed by price of Zeis lenses. Service in posh totty shop made you feel valued and desired. Service in poor area made you feel same as you felt before you went there. But you feel a lot better after you put their glasses on. Moral is get your glasses from a munter with 30 years experience lining the target up with you’re face!
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." – Albert Einstein
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#24 Re: Opticians.

Post by jack »

Agreed. The dispensing part, especially if you're in possession of a nonstandard prescription, is vital.

I used to use an old boy in a local village who had been doing this for, as you say, 30 years. He was excellent.
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Nick
Site Admin

#25 Re: Opticians.

Post by Nick »

Can I add that if you drive, I would strongly recommend a set of prescription sunglasses, especially this time of year they are life savers (I suspect). Only need to be single vision so not hugely expensive.
pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#26 Re: Opticians.

Post by pre65 »

Nick wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:23 am Can I add that if you drive, I would strongly recommend a set of prescription sunglasses, especially this time of year they are life savers (I suspect). Only need to be single vision so not hugely expensive.
I have (in the car) a pair of clip on Polarised sunglasses. The optician told me they were ideal for driving in bright light.

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#27 Re: Opticians.

Post by pre65 »

The UV layer in modern car windscreens does stop most Reactolite or Transitions photochromatic lenses from going dark.

"Photochromic Lenses: Transitions Lenses and Other Light-Adaptive Lenses. Photochromic lenses are eyeglass lenses that are clear (or nearly clear) indoors and darken automatically when exposed to sunlight. ... Photochromic lenses typically will not darken inside a vehicle because the windshield glass blocks most UV rays."

Edmund Burke

pre65
Amstrad Tower of Power

#28 Re: Opticians.

Post by pre65 »

The two pairs from Glasses Direct came yesterday.(Tuesday).

I'm pleased with the service, such good value for money for basic glasses. :D

Edmund Burke