Post by IslandPink »

Oh no ! - what was he thinking ?
"Once you find out ... the Circumstances ; then you can go out"
jack
Thermionic Monk Status

#17 Re: Next Year's project

Post by jack »

This always upsets me.

Here's a beautiful radio that looks like it was in perfect nick after 80 years and some lazy complete arse trashes it.

Feel for you Ray...
Vivitur ingenio, caetera mortis erunt
Ray P
No idea why I do this anymore

#18 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Ray P »

I don't think the guy can blame UPS either as there was no evidence that the package had been mishandled. The problem was that he only wrapped a single layer of bubble-wrap around it and then put it in a box with just a few token bits of polystyrene around it; the radio was able to move around inside the box quite a lot. What it deserved was packing in polystyrene 'chips' to stop it moving and then double-boxing. I'm waiting to see what he has to say.
Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Ali Tait
Eternally single

#19 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Ali Tait »

Pure bloody laziness.
Andrew
Eternally single

#20 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Andrew »

What a shame.
Analogue, the lost world that lies between 0 and 1.
Michael L
Old Hand

#21 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Michael L »

I hope you can find another nice example. That's very sad and all so unnecessary. Why don't people think?
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#22 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Mike H »

Oh crap. :(

This is why, for the the rare occasions in the past that I've bought anything like that, I've gone to collect.

Years ago I bought a second hand HDD which came in a jiffy bag. No labels on the outside to indicate it might be fragile or anything. After it had been kicked around in various Post Office vans, the dics had loads of dings on them, caused by the head arms flapping about, so lots of bad clusters.

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."
Ray P

#23 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Ray P »

Mike H wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:09 pm This is why, for the the rare occasions in the past that I've bought anything like that, I've gone to collect.
Yes Mike, a lesson learned.
Ray P

#24 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Ray P »

Good news, I got a full refund, no quibbling.
Toppsy
Shed dweller

#25 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Toppsy »

Ray P wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:27 pm Good news, I got a full refund, no quibbling.
Indeed Ray a good result but I'm sure you would rather have had the intact radio. The money can be replaced but finding another radio in as good a condition as the one you found will be hard to replace. Like you I'd be gutted if this had happened to me.
Ray P

#26 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Ray P »

Yes Colin, I'd much rather see it still in good shape - much more important than a few pounds in my book - precious items deserve to be looked after.
Greg
Social outcast

#27 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Greg »

Hi Ray, I’m really sorry to read about the outcome. That looked like a really nice and aesthetic project. If you remain intent on finding a vintage radio to work on, think about joining the Vintage Radio group. Their forum with links is
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/index.php

They hold regular audio-jumbles which always feature an auction of old radio kit. They have events within striking distance of you. Don’t be surprised to find that something you think is valuable is of low value. I have my grandfathers post war Pifco long wave radio which is a battered but attractively veneered unit and was told it was worth about £15 when I consulted them. My visit to the Audio-jumble concluded that much being offered for sale was junk, but certainly there are good pickings to be had both at auction and on the tables. It really is well worth a look.
Ray P

#28 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Ray P »

Thanks Greg, I was already onto the site and will sign up when I've a bit more time to spend on a vintage radio - for now I need to prioritise my amp and DSD projects.
Ray P

#29 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Ray P »

That said, apart from giving a refund the guy doesn't want to pay for the return shipping and has invited me to dispose of it as I wish so I did a quick disassembly of the main parts to have a better look at the inside.

Taking it apart I think I fond another contributer to the damage the unit suffered as not all of the screws that secure the metal chassis to the bakelite enclosure were present, which meant the chassis was able to twist relative to the bakelite creating stress points that have led to cracking of the bakelite.

On reviewing the damage to the bakelite, most of the damage is to the bottom of the unit and apart from some scratches and one small crack most of the enclosure that is visible is in OK condition. Whilst I don't think you could ever completely repair the damage it might be possible to recover a usable chassis but it would be a lot of work. First step would be to stablise everything (with cyano) and then, at a later date to reinforce the damaged area with some laminating epoxy and glass cloth reinforcement. The most difficult thing would likely be filling gaps where the edges of the cracks have crumbled; easy to fill but really hard to colour match to the bakelite.

On the enclosure, I think the worst aspect is the shattered tuning dial glass, especially as I only have about 70% of it and there aren't that many pictures of the one I have available on-line - might be something the forum Greg linked to could help with. Later on I'm going to reassemble what glass I have and to a high-res scan so I at least have a record/starting point if I consider trying to do a replacement. Some quick research has shown there are companies out there offering digital printing on glass services, though I imagine it'll be quite expensive.

Turning to the chassis, someboy has previously done some work as there are some replacement caps in evidence. Overall the chassis has some rust on it but nothing terminal and the mechanical parts (tuning cap, switches, etc.) seem to be OK if in need of some TLC. Not suprisingly, the original speaker is missing and has been replaced with a horrible little thing of more recent manufacture. A replacement original speaker isn't likely but I guess something more suitable should be possible - the bakelite enclosure suggests something around 8in diameter would be needed, though I haven't actually measured it.

I'll post some pictures later.

I need to ponder this some more...
Mike H
Amstrad Tower of Power

#30 Re: Next Year's project

Post by Mike H »

I approve of your plan to try to rescue something. :thumbleft: Before I read it, I thought is is possible to get a screen print of the dial onto new glass...

I remember the Ekco speaker was a bit dodgy, the voice coils wax rubbing in the magnet, I managed to get it centred properly. Was a bit like doing brain surgery tho. These speakers would have had electric field magnets, which double as a smoothing choke for the HT supply. I imagine yours would have been the same? Where's the OPT located? Tended to be a weedy little thing riveted onto the speaker basket. :D

"No matter how fast light travels it finds that the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it."